Newbie Leader tips

F

Faeldawn

Ok, now im a self-confessed grunt and hate to lead squads, but a lot of SL's think they can simply set a few way points then go sit on the beach and sip pina-colada and go afk while their troops run around like headless chickens. Here are a few of my personal tips and a few that i have learned off good leaders.

Here are a few tips on how to get things done, any additional tips anyone may have please post-em up.

1- The Backdoor AMS

AMS is a really big and very noticeable vehicle and is a real rocket-magnet. Was in a squad 2 days ago and the SL was berating a driver coz he couldnt get the AMS to the back-door unmolested. Bear in mind that the base was crawling with VS.

How did we rectify the situation? We had 2 pilots roaming around (1 gal, 1 reaver) to agressively attack the courtyard. When an enemy gal appears overhead everyone looks up, its sad but true.
While the VS were hammering the gal and the reaver we snuck the AMS into position and had a hack in 2 minutes with a steady supply of defending troops the base was ours in 17 minutes.

The gal and reaver bought-the-farm but also won the day for us.

2- Decoy Towers

Hacking towers way ahead of the battle is an excellent tactic to keep the enemy guessing, such towers are usually "cold" and easy to hack. As soon as an enemy commander see's one of their precious bases behind them has lost its tower they often start to panic and the squad splits up to rehack it, you'd be amazed how many times i have done this and 50 enemy troops turn up to rehack and secure this "threat". These are troops that you would otherwise be battling on the front line, therefore making battle a little easier.

3- The ANT trick

Always try to have an ANT fuelled and ready in a warpgate then when you need it get the driver to deconstruct and reconstruct in the nearest tower.

4- The death of spawn-campers

Thanks to certain TR for teaching me this one.

As enemy troops can now respawn in a hacked base there is usually a large number of troops camping the spawn looking for easy kills. Get everyone you can into MAX armour and get them to deconstruct in the nearest tower and reconstruct in the base, imagine the surprise we got when 4 TR pounder MAX's appeared in the spawn tubes :)

WTG TR!! :)

5- Orders

This may seem an obvious one, but a good leader must engourage his/her troops to follow orders and keep updated waypoints to make this easier.

Also if you issue an order to one member, remember what you have asked him to do, nothing worse than when i was sent on an ANT run by my SL, then 5 minutes later he asked me why i was in the Warpgate? :doh:

Keep a tight reign on yer troops.

6- Squad Unity

KEEP YOUR SQUAD TOGETHER! This is the most essential and hardest thing to do, a squad will see bases getting hacked left, right and center and run off all over the place trying to save them.

1 squad cannot save the entire continent, never let them try to do this.

1 squad, 1 mission, a divided squad will ultimately prove less effective than one that is fighting together.

7- Love your MAX units

An excellent tactic i saw once was "Duo coupling" this is where a MAX is teamed up with an Engie and they are ordered to stay together. The MAX calls all the shots, the engie lays down support fire and repairs the MAX when needed (the MAX MUST ask for repairs otherwise the engie spends all his time running around with his rep-kit out).

8- Do as I say!!!

Grunts are essentially morons who have feelings, treat them as such and you will never fail. Dont hassle them too much, but dont let them do what they want otherwise they will be straight round to cousin-wilma's to make more inbreeds.

Thats all i can be arsed to post atm, happy hunting :)

W

Will

Originally posted by Faeldawn
4- The death of spawn-campers

Thanks to certain TR for teaching me this one.

As enemy troops can now respawn in a hacked base there is usually a large number of troops camping the spawn looking for easy kills. Get everyone you can into MAX armour and get them to deconstruct in the nearest tower and reconstruct in the base, imagine the surprise we got when 4 TR pounder MAX's appeared in the spawn tubes :)

WTG TR!! :)
Heh, pure genius.

Further tips... Voice-comms = winnah

B

Belsameth

awesome post!
I wish most commanders would follow this step by step guide, it would make my mindless life a lot easier

M

Manic Miner

i'd do less solo'ing if more people followed those tips :D

some people seem to form squads just so they can share XP about rather than doing anything useful as a unit :/

T

Turamber

Nice post.

Would just like to add a couple of things if I may...

(1) Guard the backdoor. Don't just leave it to mines and machine guns, when you're hacking a base put a magrider there to deter enemy troops from sneaking in.

(2) If the enemy are guarding a strategic spot (like the backdoor mentioned above) running a vehicle near them - especially an AMS - will often attract the guards and guard vehicles. If you have the guts to run your vehicle through an enemy held base you will also cause additional confusion and some TK's, which are always nice to see :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom