Newbie Armsman Questions!

F

fade2grey

Hi guys,

I just bought the game a couple of days ago and started myself up a Saracen Armsman. So far im level 11 and having some fun in Mithra... I've been putting my points into thrust and shield, is this ok? Also, i can now put points into parry, should i put some in or will just shield be enough defence?

As i said im going around Mithra right now, would this be the best place for me at level 11? Where should i be thinking of getting experience next?

And lastly, items, i haven't found a single item worth using :( I'm still using things bought from merchants and quest items... is this how its supposed to be or should i be looking is certain places for better drops?

Thanks guys!

Nice forum you have here too!

-Fade2Grey-

O

old.mattshanes

Ok saracen armsman is decent it will block often and dmg should be fine,maybe at 50 get a spec like this:

44 pole=Gives your defenders revenge the best pole arm style in the game i beleive.

42 shield=Slam 9 sec stun.

39 thrust=Decent damage and basically the styles you need.

24 parry=Not bad parry,can always up it with items+RA's.

As for lving:

1-15=camelot hills/tomb of mithra.

15-24=keltoi fogou in camp forest.

24-30=catacombs in cornwall.

30-37=pygmy goblins in lyonesse.

37-43=tanglers in lyonesse.

43-50=darkness falls/avalon city.

Also as for armour/weapons try getting a crafter to make you some.
:D

F

fade2grey

Oh! I assumed polearm was two handed so it was an either/or situation with shield :eek:

S

sieben_dapoet

Allo,

polearm is a two handed weapon and cannot be held along side a shield. The spec matt talks about is considered by some to be the best for doing high dmg while having some defense.

Could you give more info about how your training and what weapon your using ?

You say thrust/shield so from this i would guess your using a sword and shield, this is whats known as a defensive armsman {like me;}. You will get extra abilitys like "Guard", and "Protect" which allow you to attract aggro from team mates {protect} or block hits to your team mates {guard}.

You could also go offensive, which is normally polearm/slash or thrust/parry. This would do big dmg but would not give you any shield abilitys/styles.

The spec matt suggested is for the experieced players in my view, as what it expects is for you to {at lvl 50} slam your opponent using shield, equip polearm and WHACK da mob, then if needs be, reequip shield/sword and hack at mob until dead. This would need to be well practised to be done during combat.

also a defensive armsman is easier to lvl early on due to your 'uber' blocking skills ;).

If you carry on this way, i would put points into your dmg type {thrust}, points into shield and when you can some into parry {later lvls definetly. You would end up with something like :

50 Shield
50 Thrust
28 {i think} Parry

Suggest you goto links page on camelot europe website and check out catacombs, theres a "character builder" there you can see how to spec your armsman and what styles you get at each level. Also a forum there with armsman suggestions for specs.

If you need any advice in game just give me a shout,

and happy hunting

O

old.TeaSpoon

I won't go into the whole spec issue here, since theres alot to cover, but I'm sure I have some loose items lurking on my Armsman, and I would be happy to craft you so armour for free. Just look for Teaspoon/Teaspooner in game :)

T

Turamber

Quick, while there is time .... !!

Delete and roll a Paladin !!!!

... sorry always wanted to be able to say that :)

F

fade2grey

Hi again!

Thanks for the advise people (cept you Turamber :p) ... sorry for not being more specific. I'll just tell you everything i know about my char hehe...

Saracen Armsman, Level 15
15 in Thrust
14 in Shield
Would it be ok to put some extra points i have left over into parry at this stage then?

I'm wearing mainly Forlorn items found in Mithra, i can wear plate but its way too expensive for me and the forlorn seems to be doing ok. I'm using some kind og bought item, i think its a... nope ive forgotten the name, it was a thrust weapon that is con yellow ot me anyway, just bought from a merchant in Cotswold. I might take you up on your kind offer Teaspoon though, thanks for that.

So, it looks like i could still go down either route depending on whether i would like a challenge or not in terms of hotkeys, hehe. To be honest, i'm thinking i should go for the build that is for the more experienced player, as by the time it matters i should have put in a fair few hours and be much more familiar with my character and the game... would be horrible to look at a level 40+ char just to know you could've made him much more effective.

-Fade2Grey-

S

SoulFly Amarok

One handed thrust is just... ;/ don't go onehanded thrust as an arms. Imo, no class should go thrust, xept merc/infil :eek:

O

old.Hendrick

You can easily enough keep putting points into thrust and shield until you get to your high 30is, which is where you'll have to decide whether to go full Shield/Sword (50 points shield, 50 weapon, 28 parry) or go for the Hybrid spec and also train in polearms.

There's no need to fear, because at level 40 you'll get a chance to respec one of your skills, which means you could take all your points out of thrust and put them into any other skills you would like - as an example.

My advice: Stay thrust/shield for now until you have a better understanding of the game, have lurked around a bit on these boards etc.

T

thegreatest

well I would like to say if you enjoy being thrust/shield, keep this up till 40 so you autotrain slash to level 10 if you're 40. Then respec thrust, put the respecced points in slash and you should get around 60 extra points to spend cause you autotrained slash :)

I'm going for 50slash/50shield/28parry or
50slash/50shield/25parry/14xbow ..but not sure yet :)

oh btw train some points in xbow its very usefull, I do good damage even I'm only lvl 5 trained in xbow :)

T

tindel

Originally posted by SoulFly Amarok
One handed thrust is just... ;/ don't go onehanded thrust as an arms. Imo, no class should go thrust, xept merc/infil :eek:

What he said :D

F

fade2grey

I picked thrust because i thought the dmg comes from str and dex... and a saracen has tons of dex... i guess slash is overall still better despite the dex thing? i also heard thrust has a small advantage in RvR due to other realms armor types... correct or am i 0 from 2 so far? :p Still reading up on stuff :p

Also, while im asking questions, i see things like RR1L8 all the time (like in thegreatest's sig)... what does that mean?

A

Aravis

Originally posted by thegreatest
well I would like to say if you enjoy being thrust/shield, keep this up till 40 so you autotrain slash to level 10 if you're 40. Then respec thrust, put the respecced points in slash and you should get around 60 extra points to spend cause you autotrained slash :)

Unfortunately that doesn't work, if you want the autotrain points you should go crush (which doesn't auto) then respec.

P

Pixie.Pebr

Originally posted by SoulFly Amarok

Except if you plan on speccing a Hybrid Armsman, ie. 44pole, 39wep, 42shield, rest Parry.
Then you use the Pike/Bill/Partisan poles, which are thrustdamage.

If you're not planning to specc Polearm at all, then I would consider following Turambers suggestion ;)

T

thegreatest

Originally posted by fade2grey
while im asking questions, i see things like RR1L8 all the time (like in thegreatest's sig)... what does that mean?

That means Realm Rank 1 Level 8

If you fight people from other realms, you gain Realm Points. If you get enough realm points, you will level to the next realm level (just like xp'in, if you got enough xp you go to next level, same here only works with realm points). You get 1 Realm Skill point per realm level, so now I have 8 realm skill poinst. You can spend the realm skill points in special RA's (Realm Abbilities) what gives you different advantages during combat. You can take a look at the armsman realm abbilities here:

http://www.camelotherald.com/realmabilities/armsman.html

The RA's I got so far are:

Tireless I
Determination II
First Aid I

F

fade2grey

Hit level 22 today! Having some major fun in Keltoi, even though i get my ass handed to me quite often :D

I just wanted to ask about crafting... everyone is starting to notice that im quite weak, they see that im an armsman with a shield and assume i will be an uber tank... but i go down surprisingly quickly, im guessing this is because of my not so hot gear.

So far im wearing kind of a mixture... some forlorn, some plate that ive found in Keltoi, and assorted (bad) rings/necklace/cloak. Everyone keeps telling me i should get SC items, but how do i go about doing this? From what i've read in the manual, armsman cannot SpellCraft items... so i guess that means i will have to buy some from somebody, what stats should i be looking for? And also how much should i be expecting to pay (I have about 30 gold).

Cheers!

E

etaew

is it me or is a thrust tank a bad idea.. some of the thrust styles run off evade.. when have u seen an armsman evade? :/ imo its a waste.. but then again i havnt tried it

O

old.mattshanes

I wouldn't bother with sc items until you are 50 really,well maybe get your weapons crafted and spellcrafted of course but that's about it,be warned it can be expensive since it is your first character you have no others with money or other chars easily able to get large amounts of cash quickly.....if i see you i may give you a few hundred gold i am a kind to new players often.:)

F

fade2grey

Originally posted by etaew
is it me or is a thrust tank a bad idea.. some of the thrust styles run off evade.. when have u seen an armsman evade? :/ imo its a waste.. but then again i havnt tried it

Its weird, i get around 50% of people tell me thrust/shield saracen is a great choice, and the other 50% say thrust sucks and i should respec to slash.

Originally posted by old.mattshanes
if i see you i may give you a few hundred gold i am a kind to new players often.

Where did you say you hang around again? :D

Nah really though, even though a massive handout would be really very useful, it would almost spoil a part of the game to me... im so happy when autosplit gives me something worth 10+ silver, or even better an actual drop! The transition from total newbie to master is the most fun part of all games, once youre there and the challenge is gone the game gets boring fast, at least thats what ive found in all the online games ive ever played.

Perhaps 50 gold would be good? lol, j/k.

Back to Keltoi!!!

F

fade2grey

Hi again... now up to level 24, but i have some problems...

Im still getting whooped in Keltoi Fogou :(

I cant solo anything anymore... i seem to be getting weaker lol. if i solo any of the priest looking guys then i will be down to ~20% health after one, so i have to sit down for ages, and if i get an add then i have to run.

Id this normal? The difficulty has seemed to have gotten a wee bit steeper since mithra days even though ive tried ti improve my skills/gear. right now i think i have 24 thrust and 23 shield.

using these items:

bone encrusted gladius (ive actually had compliments about this weapon so i guess it cant be that bad)
forlorn helm
vindicator gloves
vindicator armor
vindicator sleeves
vindicator boots
some chain legs with +10 constitution
crappy old cloak with +3 dex
bracer with +1 thrust (also has +1 slash and +1 crush)
some random other rings/bracer/necklace... none have really great mods

are my items really that bad?
maybe i messed up by going thrust?

i see other armsman my level doing much better dmg and being hit for less... i dont get it :(

any help appreciated!

-Fade2Grey-

R

Roalith

Send me a tell ingame. I'll knock you a set of armour up gratis.

O

old.TeaSpoon

Unfortunately, fighting a mob, and then spending half and hour regening HP is part of being an Armsman

C

chimaira

Slash/Shield to lvl 40 and respec Polearm if u feel u wanna use it

as Polie are slow and u miss a lot at lower lvls its quite deadly sometimes.

aswell saracen are a mean block machine. but they arent so bad with slash anywayz.

Thrust are gimped on armsman

as if u use it on lvl 50 U have to use a lvl 17 style as main style
also U have no evade and U cannot use Dragonfang

regards

R

Roalith

Got a 96%+ quality AF 54 (level 27) set waiting for you in my vault, fade2grey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom