new video card

L

Lorthania

Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 'old' GF4 4200 to a spanking new 9800 Pro, but before forking over the cash, I'd like your opinions on and experiences with this card (I'm getting the Gigabyte 128 MB model). I'm espccially interested in driver performance...

ty

Lorth

O

oblivion_6

tbh unless you desperately need the new one i wouldnt get one just now

I use a ti4200 and a ti4800 and the difference is noticable but only on a speed above 25fps and after that why bother?

Imo if your card runs all you need which this one should then theres other things you could upgrade maybe like the cpu

I personally use a ti4200 with a xp2000 processor in SI and i never get any FPS issues as the ti4200 is still a pretty good card

also the 9800 isnt as good as the Nvidia FX5900 check for online reviews

but imo nearly 400 quid for one is just a bit much

L

Lorthania

There were a couple of reasons why I wanted to change video cards.

First of all, DAoC is the only game I play, so I want it to look as good as possible. I have seen ATI cards running next to Nvidia ones and ATI's picture quality is just that much better.
My GF4 has no trouble with frame rates, but I'm often annoyed by graphic distortions - the water, for instance, usually looks more like milk instead of the nice reflecting effects from the SI engine.

Moreover, the new engine that's coming up will even up the requirements some more and I don't think the GF4 can cope with that.

I agree with you that 400 EUR is a bit steep for a video card, but with ATI's new 9900 coming up, I do expect a reasonable price drop for the 'older' models - I won't buy anyway until the price is somewhere around 300 EUR.

And yes, the fact that I've had the same card for two years now annoys me too - I want something new to brag about as well :-D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom