New town art...the 'free expansion?'

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
Well, Mythic usually release the free expansion - Foundations, Frontiers- around this time, and apparently the newest thing is new artwork for many of the cities and so forth around the game. I'm guessing this is the new big thing? (TM).

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?setview=features&loadFeature=67&gameID=11/&fp=1152,864,81565890

I'm assuming the tutorials are going to be quite some time in transferring over, as I heard there are voiceovers (done in English) which will probably need to be done in all the languages GOA need. I have to wonder, though, if the art patch will be released quicker.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Anything to avoid actually Balancing their damn game.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Yes because the Art team is probably the EXACT people who balances the character stats =] Or not :mad:

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I think this is just the stuff they wanted in Catacombs, but ran out of time for.

Darzil

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Kagato said:

Game will never be balanced, will always be people bitching about one thing or another. That's a fact. It's such a complexed game that I doubt it's even possible to get 100% right.

In the end you can always quit.

Deld

Loyal Freddie
This is good and designed to attract new players, which the game needs.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Kami said:
Game will never be balanced, will always be people bitching about one thing or another. That's a fact. It's such a complexed game that I doubt it's even possible to get 100% right.

So true. :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Darzil said:
I think this is just the stuff they wanted in Catacombs, but ran out of time for.

Darzil

Only way to balace the game is to have one class in all realms and the same starting stats on the chars and when you ding 50 you get a set of armor maxing every stat, then it will be balanced.

Jobil

Fledgling Freddie
might just be under a heavy influence but that looks a lot like the buildings in WoW... only bleaker

Serdan

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm, I wonder if we can install this buidings upgrade right away. Its just a new textures, right? Has nothing to do with version of the game?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Serdan said:
Hmm, I wonder if we can install this buidings upgrade right away. Its just a new textures, right? Has nothing to do with version of the game?

might require things in the code to display them properly - though was thinking that myself ;)

probably safest to wait till 1.75 :p

A

Aoln

Jobil said:
might just be under a heavy influence but that looks a lot like the buildings in WoW... only bleaker
I don't see how WoW's piss poor child drawn gfx look the same :/

Serdan

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
might require things in the code to display them properly - though was thinking that myself ;)

probably safest to wait till 1.75 :p

The problem is that the new files will be overwritten by the patcher at login, most likely. Gonna check it this evening. :)

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
soze said:
Only way to balace the game is to have one class in all realms and the same starting stats on the chars and when you ding 50 you get a set of armor maxing every stat, then it will be balanced.
well that aint true. but in reality no one wants a ballanced game. the ballance travels from realm to realm. sometimes its mids who have a fotm uber class and sometimes its Hib, and then mid,hib well you all know the drill.
it keeps players comming back to the game when their class get some new cool feathure or makes them stay for the same reason.
now someone might ask, how come albs never get any uberop class.
well when albs gets mad casue of getting wtfpwd to manytimes by the ninjaclass groups they just gather a large amount of brave knights and solve the problem,

Psygnosis

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:

Darzil

That's exactly what me and my brother think. But it all looks good, I'm not complaining.

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Kami said:

Or, and I accept this is a wacky concept, they could actually *fix* class issues existant since SI! :eek7:

Tilda

I've checked, you cant just copy the gfx because the geometry of many of the buildings etc change. Thus client changes are needed to let them work, which kinda suchs, but ahh well :p

Leathas

Fledgling Freddie
judas said:
now someone might ask, how come albs never get any uberop class.
are you daft enough to decline sorcerer and minstrel(stealth,oh god) truth?

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
Leathas said:
are you daft enough to decline sorcerer and minstrel(stealth,oh god) truth?
well any class is good vs bad players.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Kagato said:

yes, and whats balanced to Tom, wont be balanced in Dick or Harrys point of view. so how do u intend to do that? u cant have some 80.000 people to agree on whats balanced and whats not.. ud prolly have 80.000 diffrent views on whats balanced...

so why dont u do us all a favour and get a real education on how to develope and balance MMORPG games. THEN u might acually have something to say.

besides. this game is STILL NOT balanced around 1v1 or fg vs fg! its balanced on zerg versus zerg as thats the only way Mythic intends this game to be. they aint gonna change their base ruleset just because u think zerging is lame.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Not that the art team would be able to work on the game design anyway... but if we go into a parallel universe where they could...

1. How many people do you think adding new graphics will improve the game for? (as well as the whole "looks prettier in magazines and gets more players" aspect)

2. How many people do you think fixing an irritating thing that (say) makes Rvr frustrating for necromancers improves the game for?

3. How many people do you think nerfing class Z improves the game for and how many does it make the game worse for?

Triage!

1. helps the most, doesn't hurt anyone - it's good

2. helps not so many people, but it should be fixed when they get time - its priority is lowered due to not having the same effect as 1. and being more difficult to do.

3. helps and hinders - the help needs to outweigh the hinders by a good margin before it'll get changed and even then it's gonna be difficult to get a change that maximises the help and minimises the hinder. This would probably have the lowest priority of the art-teams time...

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
I've checked, you cant just copy the gfx because the geometry of many of the buildings etc change. Thus client changes are needed to let them work, which kinda suchs, but ahh well :p
I installed the download and it created an entirely new directory ("Catacombs\newtowns"), so I'm assuming it wouldn't work as just 'overwriting' the old art files. I haven't had time to run it yet, though.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
the problem mythic has is that when they offer someone a free trial the starting zones and towns are really really apauling they have dated badly and still look crappy.

By bringing classic and some respect SI up to date with the rest of the game they can get some new players interested by going . That looks quite decent, instead of that looks really old im not playing that.

14 day trial is enough to get people hooked but only if the graphics are are par with other mmorpgs free trials.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Jobil said:

I cant see how WoW buildings look ANYTHING like those.

They focus on actually looking realistic than cartoony and out of proportion like WoW.

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
game is actaully pretty balanced atm, more balanced than it ever has been.

legaoniel

One of Freddy's beloved
looooooool

[NO]Subedai said:
game is actaully pretty balanced atm, more balanced than it ever has been.

NURSE!!! THE SCREENS!!!!

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
so why dont u do us all a favour and get a real education on how to develope and balance MMORPG games. THEN u might acually have something to say.

I have plenty to say, and I don't have to resort to patronising other people to do it either, unlike some people.

And you don't need an education to balance this game, some simple common sense would do for a great deal of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom