New to the game

murderedprayer

Fledgling Freddie
Hi, ok I'm a compete newb to DAoC, and it's proving pretty fidgety adjusting from the transition from EQ and SWG.
Basically my friend sold me his account which already has some high level characters made but I don't want to use them cause it feels like cheating. I'm on (in?) albion and just started out as a Highlander fighter, now level 3 and probably going Merc at level 5. Just wondering are there any good levelling tips or general advice people could offer to help out because as I said the transition to this game is not overly easy due to the lack of an original manual and the in game help system being minimal help.

Also will a merc be any use in PvP because I've heard that this game has possibly one of the best systems in an MMOG.

murderedprayer

Fledgling Freddie
Oh and for what it's worth I only have the original game and Shrouded Isles so any advice beeyond those won't be much help til I get the other expansions, is it even worth trying or does everybody spend all their time in the new zones and I'll never be able to find a group?

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Hi!
And welcome to albion!

Do a /who <level range> (/who 3 5 for example) and you'll see where most players at your lvl exp, you can pm them and ask if they want to team up:) Good spots to start is camelot hills....

Or another way to get lvls fast is to ask guards for tasks, simply step up to them and /say task!

If you either task or group your way up, you can visit your first dungeon at about lvl 8 or 9 and group with people there! It's called Mithra and is very spooky and located in camelot hills... ask people for directions ;)

Good luck!

Eraser

Loyal Freddie
not enough time to tell you all the stuff you should know about here.
there are plenty of good websites in the net with much interessting info you should read.
as you seem to have experience in these kinda games you wont be afraid of the complexity of daoc.
for the beginning read up everything about the class you wanna play or consider to be maybe interessting for you. you might wanna re-roll your lvl 3 toon then if you messed up with the starting points, race etc.
when you know the direction you want to head towards, try get familiar with the realm and the locations, print out maps if needed.
figure out the usual spots to lvl your char (e.g. for the beginning camelot hills, then tomb of mithra) and get in touch with other people there and group up.
find yourself a guild that suits you, the rest will come.

good site for start browsing the net is
the daoc bookmark manager

good luck and enjoy the game :D

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
i think Gaurdians of Light will suit your needs. strong pve element combined with very large skale rvr :)

Eraser

Loyal Freddie
oh and what i forgot to mention:

dont pay too much attention to the trolls here on the forum :)
freddy's house is the soap channel of the game.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
lol, how hard :p

You aren't the only one starting from scratch, there are more then enough others.. above level 20 it's not that hard to find a group (unless it's like 6a.m. in the morning, only midgard is awake then), and under level 20.. /who necro and ask them kindly, say em you just started and have a hard time getting higher, if they can push you some (at about 18-19 go keltoi, in campa forest for ur grouping needs). and ask some (non legendary) crafters if they can make you some lowbee stuff (usually costs like 10g for them, which is nothing).

murderedprayer

Fledgling Freddie
Eraser said:
oh and what i forgot to mention:

dont pay too much attention to the trolls here on the forum :)
freddy's house is the soap channel of the game.

I'm not too worried, I'm a professional board ho myself. Thanks for all the advice folks.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Tualatin said:
lol, how hard :p

You aren't the only one starting from scratch, there are more then enough others.. above level 20 it's not that hard to find a group (unless it's like 6a.m. in the morning, only midgard is awake then), and under level 20.. /who necro and ask them kindly, say em you just started and have a hard time getting higher, if they can push you some (at about 18-19 go keltoi, in campa forest for ur grouping needs). and ask some (non legendary) crafters if they can make you some lowbee stuff (usually costs like 10g for them, which is nothing).

Heard this guy called Subedai / Korgon gladly powerlevels new gamers. Give him a PM, im sure he will do it

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Welcome to the game, don't be scared of by all the whines and trolling you'll see here in the forums, its not so bad in the game itself, honest :D

Firstly you need to get some decent maps so you can find your way around, its ok knowing which exp spots to go to but you have to know where they are.

This is a good place for maps

Levelling from 1-5 is easy with simple mob bashing around Prydwen keep and camelot hills for 5-10.

10-14 you can head into Halls of Mithra, the first dungeon which is near the big prydwen bridge, try not to fall into Darkness Falls whilst looking around :p

13-20 you can start in Salisbury plains, expect to die alot, I hated this place when I first started, best thing is to find others same level and start grouping to kill salisbury giants when possible, if no groups around then talk to the named guards for kill tasks, just type /whisper task whilst clicking the guard, he will tell you to go kill a mob, do so and go back to him for a big exp boost and some cash.

From 18+ you can look into Keltoi, a very nice dungeon you can use till 24, some good drops too to get you start, when you are 24 you can compete in the first battleground also for your first taste of rvr 'Thidranki'.

After that you will easily pick up the rest of the game, merc is a fine choice also, will do ok for pve and rvr though the game is favouring casters at the moment in terms of love and nerfs.

Xplo

Banned
do /level at your trainer if there is a level 50 on your account, you will automatically level to 20 by clicking on your trainer and type /level

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
It warms my heart knowing that Albs is still prepared to help newbies into the adventures of daoc. Ofc there's always the x-realm lamers making st0pid remarks etc etc, but nm them... they wanna play easy mode and gets personal satisfaction being l33t in a computer game...

As always Kagato is there for help, so listen to him instead of the x-realmers...

ohh, and welcome to DAoC! :drink:

Filip

Fledgling Freddie
DONT roll a merc .. belive me .. if you want a tankish then make a reaver ....

and btw... SI dont matter .. but you need toa ...

Moona

Fledgling Freddie
roll a caster or an archer , they gonna be FOTM when NF will come out :eek:

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
Filip said:
DONT roll a merc .. belive me .. if you want a tankish then make a reaver ....

and btw... SI dont matter .. but you need toa ...
I agree with Filip, if you want a lighttank go Reaver they are gonna be so much fun in NF wich will be hitting us around the time short after you hit lvl50 and got your suit fitted...

Coren

Fledgling Freddie
You don't really need TOA at level 3 :) but you will want it when you get to the 40s.

Reavers are more fun than mercs too.

And look on the big main group panel and you'll see Find and 'Set LFG' buttons - took me ages to find them and they can be handy to find others to team up with. Finding a nice guild with people of your level (or a lot of benevolant necromancers) will also be useful.

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
do yourself a favour
delete and reroll mid :p

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Must agree with Asha tho... If the end-game is what the "newbies" r after, then they r in for a surprice rolling Albion... sad, but true!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom