New security feature on Qnet, protect yourself from hacking

A

agreiloth

ignore this thread if you dont use IRC. And I'm using the general board the get this message to the widest audience, moderators fell free to move this post ;).

Quakenet has added a feature so you can hide your real IP address; this is a big boost in IRC quakenet security.

To make this work you need to be Authed with Q, if you'r allready authed with Q go to step 4.

1) Log on to a quakenet server.
2) Type /msg Q hello
3) Follow the onscreen instructions; remember to add your email for password retrieval purposes.
4) If you use mIRC go to File -> Options -> connect -> Perform
5) Click add
6) Choose QuakeNet
7) Put these lines into the perform text box:
/msg Q@Cserve.quakenet.org auth <your username> <your password>
/mode $me +x
8) You can add several: /j #<channelname>, lines after the mode command to automatically connect to channel when you connect.
9) Press OK
10) Reconnect to QuakeNet

that’s its, if you need help with another IRC client or have questions to the above feel free to PM me, or just post here.

O

old.Belorfyn

I remember seeing this before but it migth had been inside other thread so good job posting, it's useful feature.
Been wondering why they don't hide all IP's in the first place, who needs to know them anyway ?
As far as I know (not much, that is), CTCP commands send the ip-addresses to each other when they're requested.

PS. If you add other stuff to perform-script afterwards, remember to have the auth and /mode commands before any /join (or /j) commands. Else people will see the ip-address when you join.

A

agreiloth

Yes CTCP and DCC is a potential security problem, but most IRC users should set their CTCP and DCC options to ignore all, that way the protection is pretty good imo

O

old.Belorfyn

Originally posted by agreiloth
Yes CTCP and DCC is a potential security problem, but most IRC users should set they CTCP and DCC options to igonore all, that way the protection is pretty good imo

I actually just meant that they don't need the server to tell the users IP-address to them, but yeah good point there, it'd be good to disable them.
If you really need to transfer files, then disable all the other unneeded stuff (CTCP-ping and whatever, they'll help anyone to find out your IP-address).

A

agreiloth

Yep or even better only enable DCC when you need it, and then diable it after you've received the file ;)

U

Urme the Legend

So now you can't ban people by IP in a channel?

S

Sibanac

they hiding hostmask aswell ? because they tend to resolve back to the right ip with most isps

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by Urme the Legend
So now you can't ban people by IP in a channel?

Yes you can this only affects people that actually auth with Q, if people are authed with Q they are alot easire to ban ;).

All users with hidden hosts get this hostmask <userid>@<username>.users.quakenet.org

So you can still ban their hostmask if you'r not using Q or L on your channel.

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by Sibanac
they hiding hostmask aswell ? because they tend to resolve back to the right ip with most isps

Yes your host mask is hidden as well, so you can't /dns peeps that use this new mode.

S

Sibanac

Originally posted by agreiloth
Yes your host mask is hidden as well, so you can't /dns peeps that use this new mode.

so how are op/kick/ban commands given now ?

(i would check myself but at work :) )

A

agreiloth

All users with hidden hostmask use this hostmask :
<userid>@<username>.users.quakenet.org

So when you ban someone that's the host you ban..

Remember kick/op only uses the nick, not the hostmask

O

old.Tohtori

Netsecurity on IRC?

Don't DCC, don't do what Sexah_Bimbo19_And_Willing_XXX is saying and type the uber.pr0n.gotyounow command :p

M

moo_work

if the guy has this feature on, he must be authed with Q thus has a Q nickname, so just Q ban the nickname, if he comes in without authing with Q the feature is off and u can see his ip and u can ban him by his ip - there now he cant enter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom