new O/P system advice if poss

B

-b5-lunatic

hi all.....:)

well so far all my pc have been using win 98 but im thinking of using a diff O/P system so i can add more ram ...( cause win 98 becomes unstablw with more than 512 ram i think ?? )........

any how ............what i would like from u's is some pros and cons 2 diff O/P system .........eg ease of use limitations ...........stuff like that .......

anything than win 98 is alien 2 me ..........LOL

thanks 4 ur time .....:)

W

Will

If you give us an idea what you use your PC for, and how confident you are trying the more "far out" alternatives (BSD/Linux/BeOS), we should be able to help more.

Though I expect the answer is going to be either Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

C

.Cask

I'd go for windowsXP as you'll be fairly familiar with it. Also since I installed Service pack 1 it has been stable as hell. Had it going for 6 days straight and only had to reboot to install some new software.

Pro's: It's windows.

Con's: It's windows.

W

Will

Well, there is always Windows 2000. 50 times stabler then Windows 98, according to M$. I think thats much of a muchness to XP, my uptime is limited to how often my fuse goes in the house, so uptimes are coming in at about 2 weeks. Windows 98 needed a daily reboot when I ran it always on.

It just depends what you decide to purchase from your preferred retailer.

B

-b5-lunatic

hi again ......

well i use my pc 4 allmost everything ie:-
surfing, hosting E/F servers, cd burning, office work (printing datebase) , the odd bit of video editting . its a work horse .heh;)

(BSD/Linux/BeOS) @ Itcheh nerver heard of them ......

so it sound like Windows 2000 or XP
coming from win 98 anything i should know about .....ie:--- hardware probs???
pc spects at mo
althlon xp 2000
512 of ddr ram
sound blaster 5:1
geforce mx400 64mb
2 X 20 gig H/D

T

tris-

i thought win 98 became unstable with more than 1GB of RAM

S

S-Gray

Windows2000 for me is somewhat Stable (Just a few niggling Problems im leaving alone) but i heard XP is just as nice..

If i ever get my Hands on XP Home im gonna try it

S

Scooba Da Bass

Go for 2K, generally less hassle, it's been out for a while, so it's pretty damn stable.

S

Shocko

Originally posted by Itcheh
I think thats much of a muchness to XP, my uptime is limited to how often my fuse goes in the house, so uptimes are coming in at about 2 weeks. Windows 98 needed a daily reboot when I ran it always on.
8 Weeks here(48 days, 2:10) :) Admittedly that's not running windows, however this is my desktop, which is used for surfing/gaming. Last reboot was so i could access a partition i created from free space i had on my drive.

I won't give any suggestions about what OS lunatic should get...

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Super_Gray[SG]
If i ever get my Hands on XP Home im gonna try it

You don't want XP Home, it has aids

W

Will

Originally posted by Shocko

8 Weeks here(48 days, 2:10) :) Admittedly that's not running windows, however this is my desktop, which is used for surfing/gaming. Last reboot was so i could access a partition i created from free space i had on my drive.

I won't give any suggestions about what OS lunatic should get...
The games I play leave me a little for choice. Operation Flashpoint is still Windows only.

K

kameleon

If you do get hold of a copy of xp pro illegally dont try to update to sp1

B

-b5-lunatic

ok dudes ......

thanks 4 ur help .........

win 98 become's unstable when ever it wants 2 .......LOL

U

-Ultimate

Originally posted by kameleon
If you do get hold of a copy of xp pro illegally dont try to update to sp1

Wrong, you can update windows xp pro to sp1 if you have an illegal version as long as your cd key doesn't start with FCKGW. If it does start with that you can get a program to change it anyway. Not that i have done this or condone illegal copies in any way of course, warez is bad mmmmmmmmmkay.

D

danger

Errr you said "If you have an illegal copy of XP pro don't try updating it"

Well lets say I had this friend who did that... and he got the this is an invalid version of XP pro...

M$ aren't gonna send a swat team round or nething r they ? :D

lol

S

S-Gray

I heard they send you an Email, and if you dont remove it then they get you sued or somethin ?

U

-Ultimate

If you have a copy installed with the bad cd key window xp will stop working after you update it to sp1. Of course you could always pm someone who knows how to help your friend, but you'd have to find som1 first ;)

D

danger

Gr8 my friend will be most pleased....... How exactly do they get your email address without spying on you..... I mean granted he was dumb enough to do it and is braking the law.......

Should this friend bother to revert back to his legal version of Win98 :(

B

-b5-lunatic

hi all .......

well as i c it if u have got a cheap (cough) version with a cd key starting with FCKGW u can update windows xp pro to sp1 .....so If it's something else dont update 2 sp1 then ??????

xp pro is loads of £$ ........dam it

U

-Ultimate

No if u have a cd key starting with FCKGW you CAN'T update.

O

old.CyberDrac

Unless you have a particular need for a specific XP feature ... then I have found 2000 to be a shade more stable ... only a shade though!

B

-b5-lunatic

are right i c Ultimate thats 4 clearing that up ........

the tell the truth the main reason im thinking of xp is cause ive heard that it has allready got a lot of programs built into it ????

EG:- a dvd player ......firewall .....msn messenger ?????
and xp has that feacture when u can roll back ur pc 2 a factory default install ??????..... am i right .......or have i got the wrong end of the stick ??????........again ........lol

S

S-Gray

Originally posted by -Ultimate

Shit... thats my Key Start.... :D

S

S-Gray

heh luckily its not installed, not gettin installed anyways ;)

D

danger

Originally posted by -Ultimate

how do they know that all those are illegal keys? is it not possible to buy a copy with that key then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom