New MP3 player or CD/MP3?

Summo

Loyal Freddie
Hello peoples!

I'm in the market for an MP3 player with FM tuner, but I don't want to spend more that £150 if it can be helped and I'm after a bit of advice.

Firstly, can anyone recommend the best MP3/FM player within this budget? Secondly, given that MP3 players in this price range only have around 256MB, would I not be better off buying a CD player that can play MP3s, giving me around 700MB of music storage at a fraction of the cost of an equivalent MP3 player? I'm concerned that there's something fundamentally flawed with these devices that they can be so cheap.

Any suggestions extremely welcome!

:)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
The advantages of solid state MP3 players is (a) low power consumption, (b) no moving parts = no skipping tracks, (c) smaller.

I wouldn't even consider a CD/MP3 player, go straight for a "jukebox" (iPod/MuVo) instead.

Clown

Part of the furniture
For £150 quid? And with a tuner?
Firstly it depends on how much space you want, Summo. If you are happy swapping the music in and out of a smaller MP3 player then go for it. I wouldn't recommend that CD/MP3 option because they are all ugly and I don't want to burn my MP3s :)

Are you strict on that £150 price?

Clown

Part of the furniture
How would you use that while cycling? Is it as big as it looks?
If you're only going to be using it for 30mins at a time, then a solid state MP3 player would probably suit you best, but it depends on how high a quality you ripped your music. They really are small and light.

That jukebox is scaring me :(

Summo

Loyal Freddie
A fair point. I guess its the size of a CD player. Maybe the Creative MuVo slim then. Not much in the way of capacity, but its small with a built-in FM tuner.

Hmm... tempting...

ManDevil

One of Freddy's beloved
I've just ordered this one it doesn't have a radio though. It only has 128mb of memory, but it does have a slot for SD cards.

Might be better to use while cycling as it has no moving parts like the HD in that jukebox one and it's tiny...

Summo

Loyal Freddie
Thanks! I might wait for the iPod mini to be released in the UK. I won't need it until September anyway, though it doesn't have FM.

That said, it'd probably be cheaper to import it from the States. :/

Clown

Part of the furniture
The iPod mini will be about £200 I think, and it doesn't have a tuner (which wouldn't be much of a problem on the tubes anyway :)). The only thing that is deterring me from one is that many people have battery problems with them? They are extremely small though, I don't know how they fit 4GB into it.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Ok, I changed my mind. That looks alright :p

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=iMP-550

thats the offical homepage

got some nice features like rapid battery discharge to prolong the life of the bats

and the ogg support is in the latest firmware beta release, but i had no prob with it so far

You get a carrying bag and an external bat pack with it awsell (bat pack is just atube that takes 2 AA)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom