New map, are the screenshots understandable ?

• Thread starter old.Frappuccino
  • Start date
O

old.Frappuccino

Hi :)

I just uploaded my first map on my website and I have tried some kind of nice screenshot-oriented presentation of it.
I would like to have some feedback about it. About the way I have placed the screenshots and if the fact of browsing thru those makes you (or, in your opinion, anybody seeing them) want to know more about the map. And if the explanations are understandable : the goals of the maps, what is to be done, the important points, etc...
Also I would like to know (for future maps I will be making) if you think those screenshots are sufficient to explain what the map is, or if I should add some more, and if so : to show what... Or maybe you find there were already too many screenshots to look at !

Thanx !

Frappuccino --TUT--

PS : The URL of the website is http://www.rotorbaby.com/tut and the map called MAGMAZITE can be found as the first in the list of the map section of the site (see "maps" button in the NavBar ;) )
Of course, beginning with the first screenshot (the spawning point) is more convenient for use with the next/prev buttons...

M

Mongrol

um... dreadfull website btw. Didn`t get to look at your map as as soon as it went fullscreen I killed it. Stuff like that on websites is almost as bad as backbutton looping.

S

Scouse

Yup - never take away peoples power to do what the smeg they want with their browser window m8.

S

Scouse

Having said that:

you need 2 things for this map:

1) A sort of overhead diagram of where the main features of the map are (draw one!)

2) Take away the flag forcefields and make them forcefield entrances to somewhere else on the base - I've never played a good map yet with flag forcefields.

Why not try ASKING people if they want your webbie fullscreened before they enter the site??? It looks quite a nice site you see :)

O

old.Frappuccino

Originally posted by Mongrol
Didn`t get to look at your map as as soon as it went fullscreen I killed it.

Well, this way, you didn't have to spend time watching the screenshots, this looks like the easy way :touch:

You could have saved even more time by just not typing this answer :twak:

O

old.Frappuccino

Originally posted by Scouse
you need 2 things for this map:

1) A sort of overhead diagram of where the main features of the map are (draw one!)

2) Take away the flag forcefields and make them forcefield entrances to somewhere else on the base - I've never played a good map yet with flag forcefields.

3) Why not try ASKING people if they want your webbie fullscreened before they enter the site??? It looks quite a nice site you see :)

As for 1) there is a screenshot featuring the Command center.

As for 2) I think Dessicator is quite a good map ;)

As for 3) when I began designing this website months ago, I didn't know anything about HTML and JavaScript and learned everything at the time I made the site... This is a graphical oriented site (with a disclaimer explaining the fullscreen thing and the "quit" button that goes with it) and I just can't change the way it works now, it is too much trouble changing it with more than 600 HTML pages, more than 700 images, and I won't tell you about the numbers of lines codes and problems I have had...

And yes, people are free not to enjoy my website... But for those who place their "HTML values" just a bit on the left here, I think it can become a very funny place, a very useful site for teaching thing to newbies, finding maps, skins, etc...

Anyway, thanks for your compliment...

S

Scouse

OK - I concede the point about dessicator m8 ;) But in general I don't like them - and dessicator is still quite an open map :)

How about a page that informs them that they're going to lose their taskbars then:

Type in url, first page that comes up says:

"Warning: The following web page is full screen, you will lose the buttons in your browser etc... whilst viewing it (although they will return when you go to another site!). Please click HERE if you wish to be redirected elsewhere blahblahblah......"

or summat like that??? :)

Good skills on the self-taught as you went along thing tho!

O

old.Frappuccino

Thanx :)

I think I will put a more comprehensive message in the "home" page and explain a bit more about my "learning" of HTML and JS ;)

Also, I'll post here, though not tonight cuz' lazy and don't want to spoil it, an explanation about why it is a good :p forcefield defended map...

Again, thanx for your feedback.

Frappuccino --TUT--

O

old.Frappuccino

About that forcefielded-flag...

Here is an answer I gave in another forum where they also had some concerns about that forcefield :

- The platform hosting the gens that power the forcefield protecting the flag is a remote platform not near the flag scene. (much like DESSICATOR)

- It is right that D is usually easier than O. but in this case, where I'd say a battle would occur between a D that is on the gen platform, and an O attacking it, the winning side would be the one who take out the INV of the other... In this case, O knows where this INV is (obviously on the platform) and D does not know where O's INV is (around in a dark night surrounding), so in here I guess O can match D and the map is made around this interresting (to me) situation.

- Some numbers : DESSICATOR's forcefield gens are 200 or 300m away from its flag. In TOMBSTONE, you have to walk an INV for what ? 400m ?

- In MAGMAZITE the platform is almost 800m from its flag... And because it is surrounded by lava, you can't have a MPB on it...

I have seen too many games, in which the winning side was winning just because it had a couple of good cappers, whatever the txo teams were made of... Here I would like the situation not only be tactical, but also strategical... Some other examples I have very much enjoyed in the past were INSALUBRIUS and ARTILLERY...

This is why, if you want the flag to be exposed, you will have to have the guts to come and fight to expose it ;)

Frappuccino --TUT--

PS : Okay, now I have finished my map, I can go back to skinning :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom