New machine freezes

P

PadreMM

Hi,

Have just upgraded my comp with new m/b, new memory, new GFX-card, new Sound-card.... and all is fine except that after playing a while the screen suddenly Freezes (Link/Ping/GFX-lights are all green). It just hangs there, no message of gone linkdead or any crash to desktop....?? Also, can't alt+tab or ctrl+del out of it either. In fact it seems like the whole machine has frozen and all I can do is press the reset button.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this or what I can do to sort it out?

Current config:
M/b: ASUS A7N8X (bios v 1.65
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1800+
Ram: 2*500Mb Kingston PC3200
GFX: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Sound: Creative Sounblaster Audigy 2 (have disabled Creative's game port)
O?S: Win 2K Pro

Have DivX9 from Microsofts site.....
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Padre

C

Cadire

It sounds like a classic case of overheating. Are all your fans working as they should be, and are your cables tidied away (it's surprising how much heat cables can bounce around).

M

Meatballs

I was getting that too padre (if yer playing winamp does the music loop the last 2-3 seconds?) my cpu was only going up to ~57 degrees - the case was in the 30s so should have been well within spec. So I formatted harddrive and reinstalled all the latest drivers, not had the problem reoccur again yet, and I have a pretty similar machine:

abit kx7-333, athlon xp 1900, ati radeon 9700 pro, sblive! value.

Current drivers/patches installed are:

Windows XP SP1
ATI Catalyst v3.1
VIA Hyperion 4in1 v4.46
Sound Blaster Live! DriverPack Full Package
DirectX v9.0

D

darbey

Very unlikely its overheating, probably your video card causing it, i had the same problem. Try turning off antialiasing , antrioptic filtering off in your video card settings, lower the water and shadow effects and if not already change your agp aperture size in the bios to 256. Hope it helps

P

PadreMM

OK, after trying all sorts of things it came down to the fact that my 1Gb memory didn't work well. After taking out 512Mb it worked fine...... :|

So, gonna try to run my 1Gb with WinXP and if that doesn't work I'll just have to stick with WinXP and 512Mb :( Not sure it will make much difference in teh end anyway with 512Mb or 1Gb Ram. But since I've paid for it I wanna use it....

later

M

Meatballs

read some faq's on your motherboard and check if it doesnt like it in certain slots, otherwise try sending memory back may be faulty.

P

PadreMM

Loaded WinXP and afetr I got the ATI Catalyst 3.2 drivers SI is running smoothly :)

Thanks all for the help /bow

<edit> pretty sure that installing the Catalyst 3.2 drivers while I had the Win2K problem would have sorted the GFX-card.

Not sure if it would have sorted the problem with the 1GB ram though, as taking out one of the 512Mb sticks made the problem less severe in SI with Win2K, while with WinXP it didn't make any difference at all. </edit>

Users who are viewing this thread