Games New Google Game Streaming Service

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Has been tried before, but will probably catch on this time because: Google.

But what I don't get is why the BBC journalists who cover this don't get the fucking sack for massive and obvious incompetence:

Gamers have complained of issues with "lag" - the delay between a player performing an action, and the game reacting to that move.

In an attempt to avoid this, Google said its Stadia controller which will connect directly to Google's servers via wifi.

Apart from the english in that sentence looks like it's been written by @Job - are google going to bring their servers and put them outside my house so my wi-fi can reach their servers?

What a fucking shower :eek:

Either way - if the controller talks to google via the internet (as opposed to your machine, then google via the internet) then the only latency saving I can see over other streaming services is the time it takes for your PC to decode the controllers actions and send on - i.e. none at all.

I guess it'll be in-sync - so at the end of the day, there'll be at least a, say, 40ms gap between movement and change. Presuming google is running it's servers pretty damn close by.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Has been tried before, but will probably catch on this time because: Google.

But what I don't get is why the BBC journalists who cover this don't get the fucking sack for massive and obvious incompetence:

Apart from the english in that sentence looks like it's been written by @Job - are google going to bring their servers and put them outside my house so my wi-fi can reach their servers?

What a fucking shower :eek:

Either way - if the controller talks to google via the internet (as opposed to your machine, then google via the internet) then the only latency saving I can see over other streaming services is the time it takes for your PC to decode the controllers actions and send on - i.e. none at all.

I guess it'll be in-sync - so at the end of the day, there'll be at least a, say, 40ms gap between movement and change. Presuming google is running it's servers pretty damn close by.

I suspect they will do like netflix and not only have stuff in their own data centers but offer free server capacity to ISPs to get the content as close to hotspots as possible.

Ive tried the NVIDIA one in the beta and wasnt impressed (can only use your own steam games), also tried Hatch (spinoff from Rovio) which has some nice smaller games.

What intrigues me about Stadia and other services is idea i dont need to fork over a fortune for a high end PC, i could just hook up work laptop to monitor and stream the games :)

My usual argument against it is that i like to tinker/upgrade but must be honest havent opened up case except for cleaning in two years and probably wont upgrade current setup just replace it

And yes that article was dumbed down to point of stupidity

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Got a mate who swears by Shadow but haven't seen it in action myself yet.
I can't handle the input lag just streaming from my upstairs gaming PC to the downstairs TV over Ethernet-connected Steam Link in certain games, so can't imagine cloud streaming would be any better.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I just wonder what will happen when Google decides it's no longer in their interests to keep the service running like they do ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I just wonder what will happen when Google decides it's no longer in their interests to keep the service running like they do ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!

Rumor mill is that developers are skeptical of the platform for exactly this reason, especially if it requires them to do a lot of extra work to get their games to run on it

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It'll just split off the PC Master race even further from the casuals.

They can hype up the graphics all they like but they're not going to be sending uncompressed video anywhere.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I bought the stadia premiere edition last month (controller and chromecast ultra), and it's good. My biggest worry is of course that, as it's Google, they'll just fuck it off if devs don't like it. However, I see FIFA 21 is coming, which will surely help.

The good is
a) the load times - basically non existent
b) the games do look very good
c) no input lag or latency issues on my bottom tier sky fibre. CCU has an an Ethernet port on the plug, so with my power line adapters, it's not over wi-fi which helps.
d) it's cool that I can hook up the controller to TV, laptop, phone and tablet. I only use TV and laptop though. It's also good that you don't have to use the controller, so I can use keyboard and mouse for fps on the laptop. Everything also runs very well on laptop, but I do have a decent spec one.

The bad:
a) game choice - it's limited. Ports of old games.
b) games prices. Who wants to pay £50 for rdr 2 when its £20 on Amazon for PS4
c).player base is tiny (good people though) which means grouping on games that are no x-platform like destiny is nigh on impossible

The end

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
One more thing for each column i've just though of:

Good:
There is a "free trial" weekend this weekend for Borderlands 3. This is a big advantage over console, as there are no downloads, so a whole weekend is actually a whole weekend, not mostly downloads & updates.

Bad:
Whilst i've found the (albeit small) in-game communities to be good, the online community is a bit toxic. Very "PC MASTER RACE KEK LUL" type nonces. The sub-reddit reads like 90% of them are Google shills.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I still can't understand the appeal of this over GeForce Now + Steam. If NVidia mess up nothings lost, you can local install anything as well & the selection is bigger.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
A couple of reasons, one quite specific to me.

Shield TV is loads more expensive than a Chromecast ultra but it achieves the same thing.

I only have a work laptop, which is locked down, so I cannot install 3rd party apps. Stadia requires no installs. This was a huge part of the appeal to me.

Stadia really is great for casual gamers given its cost and usability. It's just a real shame about the choice of games. I'm playing ESO and AC:O at the moment and it's keeping me busy enough though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom