New game suggestion

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm getting bored of fps games.

I used to play Civilisation until my underpants needed changing. I played the original Command and Conquer with matchsticks holding my eyelids up.

Whats a good game these days, an empire building game that just won't let go of your attention?

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
You could try doing what I did.

Re-install CivIII, Baldurs Gate I/II and Alpha Centauri.

I really needed a change of pace after Halo 2 :D

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
Catsby wonders if Netstorm is still being played.

This was Catsby's first online game...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Nah, not interested in online games just yet. Human vs Computer for teh win!

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
*accidentally cums inside trousers*

NETSTORM. THANK YOU.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Umm...what was the...err....Perimeter! Yeah!

I liked it. Sometimes hell on wheels, but always fun C&C style...stuff.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
wait for new c&c

or get sim city, HOURS of fun

Athan

Resident Freddy
Mazling said:
*accidentally cums inside trousers*

NETSTORM. THANK YOU.

I seem to recall my boss at Demon playing that way back when. Demon even ran a server or two (or were planning to, hence the boss 'checking out the game').

Shame about what that site says about the hack/cheatability of it :(.

-Ath

leggy

Probably Scottish
Rise of Nations or Rome: Total War

As I am stuck with a laptop for the forseeable future I have been engaging in some light Medieval Total War and Warcraft 3.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Tom, Rome: Total War. I rarely play games now as they are all too similar, but this game brought my gaming faith back. Buy it and enjoy :)

Sar

Part of the furniture
I recently finished acquiring The Longest Journey. It's about 5 years old, but it's apparantly a fantastic point 'n clicker. Pity it's not available at retail anymore.

Might re-install Grim Fandango again - never really got started with it when I bought it about 4/5 years back.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
for all those disillusioned with current games, might I be so bold as to suggest a look at www.gametunnel.com its home to a great indie game community with some really interesting/new ideas for games and most of them have free demos to try out to keep you entertained. Particulary special are: gish, outpost kalokai (not sure of spelling) and wik and the fable of souls.
give it a go, there are some really good ones out there if you look.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Galactic Civilisations is great game. Not really empire building though. More of a turn based stratergy game. Still, hours of fun and cheap. Plus, if you do what I did and buy a subscription to all of the games at Stardock you get access to some other beauties. The Political Machine being one of them.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
did you try any of the games sar? some of them are cack but a lot are just so imaginative and something that few companies would ever dare try

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
I really liked the latest Age of Empires I think its called Rise of Nations, if you like Civilisation and C&C its a good mix of the two.

If you like the whole god sim and dont mind the whole "holy shit its 3am and I havent even eaten yet" type game heres a few:

- Stronghold
- Settlers III (there is a 4 coming soon w00t!)
- C&C Generals

They are the last ones I have played and enjoyed anyway!

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Gef said:
- Stronghold
- C&C Generals

They are the last ones I have played and enjoyed anyway!
I bought Stronghold Crusader on budget ages ago and it's, uh, okay-ish but pretty crap in the longrun. It's just not very deep or well made. Also, there already IS a Settlers 4, and has been for quite a long time (I have the CD on the shelf next to me). There's going to be a 5 coming soon though, yes, the massive cash-cow that it is. However, the Settlers games have been going downhill since Settlers 2, and the C&C games have been doing likewise since Red Alert. So, meh.

R:TW is good, though. Except that, with my obsessive and fastidious nature, playing it takes goddamn ages.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
They don't make RTS's like they used to do. :(

I enjoy playing Age of Mythology (And AOM : Titans, the expansion) they're strategies, basically its Greeks Vs Norse Vs Egyptians, great singleplayer storyline modes, and the expansion brings good units too. Its nothing radically new to the genre but the mythology and history behind it interests me. Rise of Nations is also rather good, and Empire Earth (played the demo and quite enjoyed it, not sure if its that great)

C&C Generals is great, and reinstalling the old Red Alerts is always fun, Tanya is hot in those crappy movie sequences. :)

Am I the only person who found R:TW a bit boring? The combat/fighting bits were such a drag.

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
Gef said:

Gef: Settlers IV has been out over a year iirc, the latest one is V and thats at demo now ;)

GimpStrole

Fledgling Freddie
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 !!!

Great game (especially after smoking lots of drugs) and you even get to ride the rides in your park :D

Tis 1337 game.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Settlers V, thats what I meant, honest .. not sure if I have played 4 actually, I got lost after 2. I remember playing 1 on my little miggy, I still preferred the fighting in one, the way they would queue up outside your huts and fight one by one, ah them were the days.

I really liked the first stronghold, completed it in both modes iirc, not tried the expansion though. But then I always did like the idea of building your base up to have the most impenitrable defences possible, i.e building walls entirely of turrets in C&C .. spend about 4 hours doing that than realise that the enemy base is actually only 4 men strong.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
GimpStrole said:
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 !!!

Great game (especially after smoking lots of drugs) and you even get to ride the rides in your park :D

Tis 1337 game.
This is a good suggestion. I haven't gotten around to getting it yet, but am planning on it sometime in the near future. It's gotten very good reviews, and the first two RCTs were wonderful. It's not quite an empire-building-game, but it's still strategy, I guess.
On a similar note, Transport Tycoon with the fan-made patch is also awesome.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Gef said:
I really liked the first stronghold, completed it in both modes iirc, not tried the expansion though. But then I always did like the idea of building your base up to have the most impenitrable defences possible, i.e building walls entirely of turrets in C&C .. spend about 4 hours doing that than realise that the enemy base is actually only 4 men strong.

Haha. :D I'm exactly the same. I love creating nice looking bases, if buildings aren't in a straight line I get in a strop, and I get really mad if my walls aren't straight. :p I'm like a girl when I play RTS's...

Yaka

Part of the furniture
live for speed
rome total war
World of warcraft
uplink
saniterium
silent hill series ( only 2,3 and 4 on pc)
planscape torment

ico if you have a ps2

or download

flashback
operation stealth
dreamweb
darkseed
magic carpet
the free downloadedble Babylon 5 space sim :)

or if your realy bored climb up a tall building wait for someone to pass below and take a piss takes skill to hit someone on the head from a realy tall building :p

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Yaka said:
or if your realy bored climb up a tall building wait for someone to pass below and take a piss takes skill to hit someone on the head from a realy tall building :p

This may count more as a first person shooter than a strategy game, I just might be doing it wrong though :)

RB

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
I am waiting for this.

Have been waiting for quite awhile actually... and I pray that I won't be disappointed. But it looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom