New Forum Hardware, testers needed

A

Alrindel

Do the old and new machines share a database? That is, will messages posted here on the new machine be propagated to the old one? Or can we spam away unrestrainedly knowing that the slate will be wiped in an hour or two?

Edit: hm, it would appear that messages posted here also appear over there. And how odd, I see my reply before Ted's original post. Times on the two machines not synced?

B

Brinx

Well I was just going to say it all seems fine until I went to post in this thread again :)

T

TedTheDog

Due to the horrible grinding death the DAoC community subjected our forum setup to a few weeks ago when 700+ of you turned up at the same time, we're upgrading the hardware and software.

So, this afternoon we'd like you to try the new machine by going here and use the forum there for a while.
Everything SHOULD be exactly the same, except the address. This isnt a test of the speed of the server as its still sharing stuff, but just to make sure it works as its new hardware and also new software running behind it (Apache and php if you care).

The machine will be up until about 15:30 UK time. Just want to make sure you can do your usual thing without something odd happening.

B

Brinx

Test to see if this post goes above or below last one...

T

TedTheDog

Heh, first bug! well spotted!
Time is out, so your post precedes mine. oops

Its a single database still, so all posts will be permanent (although I'll delete this thread later to avoid confusion)

A

Alrindel

Avoid confusion? Here?

My dear teddy, we thrive on the stuff. Positively mop it up.

A

Alrindel

And boo for fixing the time so quickly. I was looking for an appropriate thread to be posted where I could pre-reply "by exploiting the forum test server, I have travelled back in time ten minutes to warn you that the post you are about to read is utter bollocks".

T

TedTheDog

Actually, thats a nice idea for a "feature".

S

Spinky

Nerf broken forums, nerf daoc, nerf TedtheDog.

ps, Sminky

D

Damon_D

Getting the good old " The page cannot be displayed "

T

TedTheDog

Thanks to those that gave it a run. All seems well so we've moved the forums to the new machine and you should notice a speed increase and it'll hopefully handle more people next time GOA have a disaster on their hands ;)

O

old.Xarr

Time-travelling on the forums.. now there's a concept :)

I

inqy

Originally posted by TedTheDog
Thanks to those that gave it a run. All seems well so we've moved the forums to the new machine and you should notice a speed increase and it'll hopefully handle more people next time GOA have a disaster on their hands ;)

next patch day then? :D

F

Flimgoblin

seems to be caching a lot more than it used to...

e.g. I read post, click on 'go' to the forum index, see new reply to post I read five minutes ago, click on the post and it shows the five-minute-old version. Refreshing shows the new replies.

is there a pragma: no-cache missing somewhere? or

for example I couldn't see the last 5 replies above this (below Damon's response) until I posted this newer response.

maybe it's just connecting to the wrong server (I had to refresh the edit window there too!)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
There are 2 dns changes proprogating at the moment.

I am using the new box and I see all replies properly without having to force a refresh.

F

Flimgoblin

aha :) that'd do it. So should be clear within the hour?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom