New expansion before xmas?

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
http://www.mythicentertainment.com/press/dr_aug_9.html

The Darkness Rising expansion pack will be available in North America for $19.99 via digital download this October directly from Mythic Entertainment. Darkness Rising requires the original Dark Age of Camelot and Catacombs expansion pack to pl

well mythics Press release has said that Darkness Risiing will be available in October (lets say the end of October).

So does that mean we will be getting the expansion before xmas or as per normal 6 months later..

place your bets...

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
yay, can order online from Mythic \o> cheap too.

EU will get it next year most likely

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Probably around Februari/March, as usual. But hopefully we get a downloadable version too. :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:
But hopefully we get a downloadable version too. :)

Yes dear god yes please! Always near an impossibility to buy EU daoc in the stores around here at release day.

And im guessing we will get it 3-4 months after US as usuall, that is the timeframe they need to sort it it seems. So if its released in Oct in US then probably Feb here.

Ttillub

Fledgling Freddie
One can allways hope that since they bring it early in US this year it is early here also :)

So far it does not look as big expansion as previous have been. More like a big patch. Even horses are also on players that dont buy the expansion.

So maybe less things to sort with this one?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
February at the earliest, March is much more likely given the amount of translation that will probably be required. If Mythic go live in late October then GOA probably won't get code until late November, at least that is how it seemed to work on the last few expansions, then GOA are going to need 2-3 months for translation before they start testing. Don't forget that they are implementing new zones, champion levels, player mounts and more. I honestly don't see it being any earlier than early February, if they do get it out soon then I will be delighted.

Belgareth

Fledgling Freddie
... and don't forget .... the good old brits will get it 2+ days plus after everyone else in europe

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Belgareth said:
... and don't forget .... the good old brits will get it 2+ days plus after everyone else in europe

thats because translating from US english to UK english is a lot harder thanany other language...

:m00:

Light

Loyal Freddie
scorge said:
thats because translating from US english to UK english is a lot harder thanany other language...

:m00:

you mean translating from us english ->french -> german then from german to uk english as ofc thats the most obvious route to take and goa wouldnt wanna go complicate things now would they :m00:

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
The biggest delay in the patches is the fact that the GOA servers and Mythic servers run on slightly different code, or so I've read. This means GOA has to reprogram stuff so that it's compatible.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Deepflame said:
The biggest delay in the patches is the fact that the GOA servers and Mythic servers run on slightly different code, or so I've read. This means GOA has to reprogram stuff so that it's compatible.

They run the game on different server architechture - as i understand it the process is something like this: Mythic runs a patch, then there are bugs, and mythic run fixes for about a month. Then when the patch is somewhat stable they send a version of the patch that will fit GOA servers. Then GOA tests this patch and find bugs. They then have to explain the problems to Mythic who have to come up with a solution and send that to GOA who test the fix. New problems likely occur and another round to Mythic ensues and so on, until GOA also has a stable patch. Language translation is done while all this technical stuff happens and is likely ready well before the technical adjustments bit is done. They also has separate teams doing the different languages etc. If Mythic doesnt send a fix fast when a problem crops up there isnt much GOA can do as, if i understand correctly, they arent allowed to touch the actual code.

In short, it isnt only GOA's fault that we have to wait for patches (although they could have used the same server setup as Mythic and saved alot of trouble) but also Mythic for not releasing patches to GOA earlier and for making a game that adapts badly to translations and different tech.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Also - usually GOA has the translation done well before Mythic comes up with a stable patch for them. Mythic has to incorporate the translations into the game.

We don't even play the same DAOC that the US players play (And I'm not talking about the version of the server architecture.) - meaning Mythic has to invent the wheel twice for every bugfix they make. Once for their own (english only) version of DAOC and once for the international (english) version of the game. (And that eats a lot of time. :)

The bottom line is that you'll just have to wait until it's done. ;)

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
October ... and beta, according to Mythic Missy, up and running - maybe - around the end of August (reply to 'hide-and-seek' winners question). Now Catacombs went Gold on 13th November for a 7th December release so just under 4 weeks.

So 1 month maximum for the beta (and that assumes the end of October for release).

Worrying given that the 'new' milegates (in the island 'extra content' patch allow pets and pbaoe to pass through. Sigh. It's not as if this hadn't happened before. What hope an expans

ion.

Psygnosis

Fledgling Freddie
I'm a UK player, stopped playing on Excalibur, and decided to play on Lamorak :)

So I guess I'll be getting DR expansion as soon as it's released in US :)

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
Quick note for any European players on US servers who are looking / have to buy the game rather than download it (for whatever reason) Gamestop took over EB this summer although not all the shops have changed over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom