New Darkness Rising Info

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Not much, but more specific than anything I've seen so far:

(from http://www.classesofcamelot.com/clog.asp?mode=post&id=16)

"Most of the information in this artcile is courtesy of Ulfhednar, who attended the round table in D.C. and posted what he learned on the Vault. I've just combed through the info (with his permission) and put it together in one place.

Since the roundtable was only a month before this year's E3, Mythic surely kept a lot of stuff under wraps. But they whetted our appetites by sharing some information on what's to come later this year...

Non-expansion stuff:

Epic armor is being redone to have ToA bonuses and higher utility. You will be able to get the new armor even if you no longer have yours, but this will probably involve doing the quests again, rather than just talking to an NPC and having the armor given to you. The quests are being redone, though, so as to be less class-specific. We should expect this change in September.

Durability on irreplaceable items may be changed in some way - that would include Artifacts, Champion items, and Epic armors. It's not clear whether it'll mean removing durability, adding a way to restore it, or something else.

Expansion stuff:

Horses!

There will be a basic horse available to everyone, whether you buy the expansion or not, via a quest. But the cool ones are being reserved for those who buy the expansion...

The expansion mounts will have different colors available, and you will be able to get "barding" with your guild emblem on it, and possibly other customization options.
There was some talk of realm-specific non-horse mounts being available once you reach a certain Champion Level.
You'll be able to add a saddlebag to your horse, giving you extra storage.
Horses will probably be able to enter New Frontiers zones, but there will be no mounted combat, either in PvE or RvR. Horses will probably not work in housing, since it has no pathing.
Horses will not go faster than the existing speed classes.

Champion Levels:

Don't worry, it's not Master Levels 2.0. For one thing, this time they really WILL have only a small effect; for another, getting them will be much, much easier.

You'll start on the Chamption Level path by talking to the King of your realm. After that point, ANY experience you earn will count toward your Champion Levels. That means PvE and RvR. So let's not whine about it being another grind - it's only a grind if you choose to make it one. You can do it all in RvR if you like, though it could take a while (depending on how much exp is required); the plan is for Champion Levels to start at 50, so you can't just do them while leveling, but you could do it while leveling an Artifact or farming gold. Unless your post-50 life consists entirely of crafting, you should eventually get Champion Levels, whether you try to or not.

When you reach a new Champion level (of which there will be five), you will gain hit points and power as when you gain a normal level, and you will be able to go to one of the base class trainers for your realm and choose one of a number of new abilities. These abilities will be similar to those low-level characters get, but they will not be the same. Nor does Mythic plan on letting players choose any unbalancing abilities - stealth, crowd control, pets, instant anything. From the seer trainer, a fighter might get minor heals/self buffs. From a mystic trainer, a fighter would get a minor DD, maybe 50 damage, that is considered to be level 45 or so for resist purposes. That last part is important - even if you put a single point in a line, you won't just get an ability a level one would get. Mythic's going for balanced, not for useless.

If you choose, you can get 5 abilities from the same trainer, or one from 5 trainers, or three from one and two from another, and so on. Here's the example used: A cloth caster could go to the Fighter trainer, spend all 5 points there, and get:
1. Unspecced sword
2. Sword style
3. Sword style
4. Unspecced shield
5. Shield style

However, he couldn't go to the fighter trainer and pick up #4 without getting 1-3 as well, just as with normal speccing. Also as with normal speccing, they plan to offer a way to switch where your CL points are; there was talk of this requiring a fee.

Champion Quests:

Though they go by the same name, the quests and the levels aren't directly related. Champion Quests will start at level 35 (long before you can start Champion Levels) and will earn you experience, and eventually a class-specific Champion Weapon (presumably there will be item rewards along the way as well). Champion Quests are sort of the complement to Epic quests - both are long chains and get you a class-specific reward; Epic armor, Champion weapon. Most of the quests will be doable solo or with a small group, but the finale will take place in a special instance designed for a full group (like Dark Spire). These quests will be the focus of the expansion storyline, involving a shadowy figure rising up to take over the kingdom...

The Champion weapon you receive at the end will be not only class-specific but also spec-specific; no more worrying about whether there's a good weapon for your spec, as happened with Artifacts. They'll also let you trade these in should you respec. The stats will supposedly be very good, though there weren't any examples. The weapons will, however, be specially designed and wonderful looking, and that's what's most important, isn't it?

Miscellaneous:

Higher Champion Levels will allow you to enter the "King's Magery", where you'll be able to purchase special items - respec stones, unique weapon dyes, and other goodies yet to be determined."

Brite

Banned
hmmm shield for casters might be nice might might have to switch from 2h staff ect could get silly and i doubt we will block much, this will benefit pure tanks so much more tbh

Syri

FH is my second home
hmm, i'm all for most of it, but the epics... LESS class specific??? there's only 4 epics, these are shared by all the others. make it MORE class specific! make playing those alts a different experience, not just "same old quests, same old epic. just different pictures on the quickbar"
i'm no hardcore roleplayer, but i like a bit of story, a bit of character, and a lot of variety in my games...

Influenza

Part of the furniture
Syri said:
hmm, i'm all for most of it, but the epics... LESS class specific??? there's only 4 epics, these are shared by all the others. make it MORE class specific! make playing those alts a different experience, not just "same old quests, same old epic. just different pictures on the quickbar"
i'm no hardcore roleplayer, but i like a bit of story, a bit of character, and a lot of variety in my games...

I have to agree , just did lvl 7-43 Guild of Shadows epics for the 3rd time , woulda been nice if they had a bit of variety.

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
Brite said:
hmmm shield for casters might be nice might might have to switch from 2h staff ect could get silly and i doubt we will block much, this will benefit pure tanks so much more tbh
well getting basic sword and basic shiled whould atleast give the caster better protection against melee(even if not much) and another slot(shield+sword instead of staff) wich gives aditional imbue....

Brite

Banned
judas said:
well getting basic sword and basic shiled whould atleast give the caster better protection against melee(even if not much) and another slot(shield+sword instead of staff) wich gives aditional imbue....

aye but no focus on such things ?

hope the bd weapon has power replensih on it like tarts else might not be worth switching tarts out

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Brite: Are you sure that focus SC gems work only in staves? Have anyone experimented with it?

A

Aoln

You don't cast spells with you armor so it should only work with staves? ;d

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
You don't cast spell with staves either :) staves are just an easy and simple weapon, and traditionaly have such bonuses in fantasy literature. Imho it costs almost nothing to experiment with it on a level 20 alt (putting a level 20 focus gem in any cheap cloth armor and trying it), and if it works, we can expect to see swords with focus gems :)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
When Darkness Rising comes out they will be able to have sword and shield. 2 item instead of one, which means 2 times as much space for bonuses, that can help casters. And this can make such focus items popular.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Void959 said:
The weapons will, however, be specially designed and wonderful looking, and that's what's most important, isn't it?

Will it end up like Sorcerer/Wizard epic armour though? :p

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Forgot about the tanks who need focus levels to same power when they use their nice new dd spells they get with Darkness Rising. One/two more stat to max, no more slot. Wizards get an extra working item slot or 2 and won't need to max 4+ new stats. It favors casters a bit.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
GReaper said:
Will it end up like Sorcerer/Wizard epic armour though? :p
Majority of players are causal players, and if their char looks nice, they like it, and many of them won't get a caped template anyway :)

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Esselinithia said:
Forgot about the tanks who need focus levels to same power when they use their nice new dd spells they get with Darkness Rising. One/two more stat to max, no more slot. Wizards get an extra working item slot or 2 and won't need to max 4+ new stats. It favors casters a bit.

You only recieve bonuses from equipped items, since staff is two handed you won't recieve the bonuses from either sword or sheild when its equipped, likewise you won't receive the staff bonuses when the sword/shield is equipped.

As for focus bonuses I personally think the new dd lines will be independant and not make use of it.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Void959: This is why I say it is 1/2 bonus items. Why? If you use sword and shield, you will have one extra item for added bonuses: Shield. The sword will just replace the staff. If you specc in different lines, and can afford to switch weapons between casting different spells, you have 2 extra items :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Bleam said:
baseline mage nuke = lt ...

I group with BDs alot :p Sorry.

It's speccing from level 1-5 but with another trainer... If you get a lifetap spell within the first 5 levels then I'm sure you can.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
The first five levels of any of the base trainers mean nothing at all. You don't seriously expect Mythic to give you a level 1-5 lifetap as your reward for a champion level?

They have already said that they're making specially crafted powers for each trainer to give to the players. (Besides, a level 1-5 LT spell would always be resists, so pretty useless. ;)

Wait and see. Noone knows for sure, but I sure as heck don't want the low level caster spell for my level 50 if it's a copy of the one a level 3 gets. >_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom