New DAOC player looking for help!

Nates

Fledgling Freddie
Hi all!

Began playing DAOC in September last year. After reading numerous threads I opted to play on the US servers due to the low EU pop.

I levelled a Friar to 49 and completed his epic quest. I currently have SI, ToA (although I play on the classic cluster) and Catacombs activated.

I found the game far more in depth and involving than WoW (a game that has dominated my free time for 4 years) and loved the idea of competing in a frontier land for keeps.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 30-40ish (maybe 35-40?) BG (Molvik is it?) and hope that the RvR NF zerg is much like Molvik keep capture play.

I have a number of questions I would love a few answers to:

1. I levelled almost exclusively in BGs, I stepped foot onto the SI zones no more than a handful of times. Am I missing anything from these zones? (epic quests / essential items etc)?

2. The gfx upgrade from the catacombs patch of a number of outside locations was great! I was thinking of investing in the expansion that upgrades the gfx inside the cities (Darkness Rising is it?). Can anyone tell me whether it makes a big difference to the appearance inside the cities?

3. Darkness Rising and LoTM bring ML 1-10? Are these important to be competitive in RvR on a classic cluster? How do I earn ML should I purchase these expansions? And does anyone know of a cheap way to pickup both expansions at once?

4. I downloaded a template creation program and have viewed numerous online template sites. The depth looks great but ive no clue how on earth templates work. The program I used did not actually provide the name of the item and where to loot it. From a bit of digging it would appear the items are crafted and "socketed" similar to WoW jewelcrafting? Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Are there any templates with more obvious loot names and mobs to grind to get each piece?

5. I noticed loads of dragon armour stuff on the auction NPC (ranging from armour to weapons). Where can this stuff be obtained? Can it be grinded solo?

6. How do I get invited to an RvR zerg group? Ive walked around the RvR areas a bit to do starter realm point quests but have yet to actually see a zerg group.

7. Are there any guilds out there willing to take on a newb Friar? Willing to spec whatever is required (be it rejuv / buffs) :)

Thanks much for any replies :)

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Wow.. Never thought I'd see a new daoc player again! But welcome to what is possibly the best mmorpg ever and biggest timestealer! I will try to answer your questions one by one :D

1. I levelled almost exclusively in BGs, I stepped foot onto the SI zones no more than a handful of times. Am I missing anything from these zones? (epic quests / essential items etc)?

No. Simple as that. You say that you have already completed all your epic quests and SI was the first expansion to daoc, so the items dropped in these zones are rarely used in templates anymore.

The quests you find in these zones are mainly for xp. There are also some zones and certain spots that are really good to "grind" as you call it :) In daoc when it comes to gaining levels we call it xp'ing and when it comes to items we call it farming

2. The gfx upgrade from the catacombs patch of a number of outside locations was great! I was thinking of investing in the expansion that upgrades the gfx inside the cities (Darkness Rising is it?). Can anyone tell me whether it makes a big difference to the appearance inside the cities?

It does make a difference in the gfx inside the cities, but I suggest you to get all the expansions.. They all open up new areas, abilities and classes

3. Darkness Rising and LoTM bring ML 1-10? Are these important to be competitive in RvR on a classic cluster? How do I earn ML should I purchase these expansions? And does anyone know of a cheap way to pickup both expansions at once?

ToA(Trials of Atlantis) brought the mls and artifacts, which are not implemented on the classic cluster as it is "classic" :) Many people thought that ToA ruined the game, because of the endless hours needed to farm artifacts and Master Levels, therefor Mythic decided to go back in time and make a so called "classic" server without ToA, which is why you can't get artifacts and Master Levels. Master Levels are essential on normal servers and some artifacts aswell

DR(darkness Rising) brought Champion Levels and Champion Weapons, which will indeed help you out at level 50 and in RvR.

LotM(Labyrinth of the Minotaur) brought more classes, areas and with the expansion you will be able to reach Champion Level 10, instead of level 5 with DR.

4. I downloaded a template creation program and have viewed numerous online template sites. The depth looks great but ive no clue how on earth templates work. The program I used did not actually provide the name of the item and where to loot it. From a bit of digging it would appear the items are crafted and "socketed" similar to WoW jewelcrafting? Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Are there any templates with more obvious loot names and mobs to grind to get each piece?

Can't help you much here, since I've never played WoW nor have been very good at making my own templates either, but I am sure someone else can help you out with this

5. I noticed loads of dragon armour stuff on the auction NPC (ranging from armour to weapons). Where can this stuff be obtained? Can it be grinded solo?

Back in the days there were three main dragons and that was it. You could farm them to get respec stones for your class skill lines or realm ability respec stones. But Mythic made a Dragon Campaign, with a bunch of new quests and added tons of new stuff in the three main dragon zones(Dartmoor in Albion, Malmohus in Midgard and Sheeroe Hills in Hibernia). I can't really remember how to get the quests started or where to do it in Albion as it's more than a year ago I did them

6. How do I get invited to an RvR zerg group? Ive walked around the RvR areas a bit to do starter realm point quests but have yet to actually see a zerg group.

In daoc grps have a max of 8 players. Usually you will find people talking about soloers(one person, out and about on his own), small grps(2-4players), full groups(8 players) and then there are zergs. Zergs consist of many players running around together, trampling down and killing everything in their path. Even solo players will be killed at sight. On the german servers there are zerg zones, where huge zergs from each realm roam around and when they clash all hell breaks loose. On US servers it's not as coordinated as on the german servers. On the US servers it's more spontaneous

Usually you can find grps in RvR by stating your class in /lfg and in /reg, when in the RvR zones. Usually you will find people starting grps at either Snowdonia Fortress or Forest Sauvage

ex.: /lfg Friar looking for group

7. Are there any guilds out there willing to take on a newb Friar? Willing to spec whatever is required (be it rejuv / buffs) :)

I don't play the classic cluster, but I wish you all the best and hang in there :) The end game of Dark age of Camelot is amazing and worth all the hard work of xp'ing, farming items and doing quests ;)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Wow.. Never thought I'd see a new daoc player again! But welcome to what is possibly the best mmorpg ever and biggest timestealer! I will try to answer your questions one by one :D

No. Simple as that. You say that you have already completed all your epic quests and SI was the first expansion to daoc, so the items dropped in these zones are rarely used in templates anymore.

The quests you find in these zones are mainly for xp. There are also some zones and certain spots that are really good to "grind" as you call it :) In daoc when it comes to gaining levels we call it xp'ing and when it comes to items we call it farming

It does make a difference in the gfx inside the cities, but I suggest you to get all the expansions.. They all open up new areas, abilities and classes

ToA(Trials of Atlantis) brought the mls and artifacts, which are not implemented on the classic cluster as it is "classic" :) Many people thought that ToA ruined the game, because of the endless hours needed to farm artifacts and Master Levels, therefor Mythic decided to go back in time and make a so called "classic" server without ToA, which is why you can't get artifacts and Master Levels. Master Levels are essential on normal servers and some artifacts aswell

DR(darkness Rising) brought Champion Levels and Champion Weapons, which will indeed help you out at level 50 and in RvR.

LotM(Labyrinth of the Minotaur) brought more classes, areas and with the expansion you will be able to reach Champion Level 10, instead of level 5 with DR.

Can't help you much here, since I've never played WoW nor have been very good at making my own templates either, but I am sure someone else can help you out with this

Back in the days there were three main dragons and that was it. You could farm them to get respec stones for your class skill lines or realm ability respec stones. But Mythic made a Dragon Campaign, with a bunch of new quests and added tons of new stuff in the three main dragon zones(Dartmoor in Albion, Malmohus in Midgard and Sheeroe Hills in Hibernia). I can't really remember how to get the quests started or where to do it in Albion as it's more than a year ago I did them

In daoc grps have a max of 8 players. Usually you will find people talking about soloers(one person, out and about on his own), small grps(2-4players), full groups(8 players) and then there are zergs. Zergs consist of many players running around together, trampling down and killing everything in their path. Even solo players will be killed at sight. On the german servers there are zerg zones, where huge zergs from each realm roam around and when they clash all hell breaks loose. On US servers it's not as coordinated as on the german servers. On the US servers it's more spontaneous

Usually you can find grps in RvR by stating your class in /lfg and in /reg, when in the RvR zones. Usually you will find people starting grps at either Snowdonia Fortress or Forest Sauvage

ex.: /lfg Friar looking for group

I don't play the classic cluster, but I wish you all the best and hang in there :) The end game of Dark age of Camelot is amazing and worth all the hard work of xp'ing, farming items and doing quests ;)

+1 Rep - Reason - For actually pulling his finger out, and being nice to a newbie.

And also Nates, Yes, It's the Best MMO out, by far ( IMHO ) - And I beleive this is the Best Forum out, have a browse around, and have a laugh with us mate!

Get Stuck In! :D :cheers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nates View Post

( Sorry for bad quoting )

But, I can help here, I didn't play WOW, but I think its the same in every game, Basically, you need to find a "Legendary Tailorer" and a "Legendary Spellcrafter", and these will create and imbue the armor with the gems that you request mate.. should be similar to WOW =]

Afran

Part of the furniture
While we're on the topic, I got a few questions of my own ;) I'm not new too the game, in fact I played for a good 3 years or so, I pretty much can't remember anything after ToA except the new classes, the champion levels (which I went through, but I heard they added more?) and I remember dual wield classes whining about some huge nerf, was that just the -chance to be blocked due to dual wielding being taken away? I also remember reading block chance was reduced to be capped at 50%, has that had a huge impact on soloing as a tank, and at the same time has it made light dps better again? :)

Also if there's any other important changes recently would be good to know :)

I plan to play on US btw, and I believe they're still 1 year ahead of EU in patches =p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
The program I used did not actually provide the name of the item and where to loot it. From a bit of digging it would appear the items are crafted and "socketed" similar to WoW jewelcrafting?

not quite. the armor crafted in DaoC is mostly blank with a few exeption that has bonus power and stuff. but other then that its not magical to the extent WoW crafted has where u could craft epic or set items with stats already in them. in DaoC you can custom make the stats on the armor u craft to fit you and your playstyle.. hence the need for a legendary spellcrafter (thats almost simmilar to jewelcrafting, but not much, its more like an enchanter but u can enchant an item with more stuff then 1) that can craft the stat gems u want on your armor.

and thats another thing that differs DaoC from WoW, theres no "sets" per se other then looks, as in look like they belong together, but wearing those pieces wont net u any set bonuses.

Nates

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the great replies. Will take a look at armour crafting and spellcrafting (tradeskills can be levelled from vendor items from what ive read? Does this take long?).

I notice the average pop on the classic cluster during EU peak times is around 600-700. The Devon (normal) cluster manages 1k+ at these times. Would you recommend I switch to normal? Ive always been put off by peoples' opinions of the ToA PvE grind and the use of "buff bots". How about the DE servers? Does anyone know of a link to the DE client?

Incidentally is 600-700 low pop? As ive not really stepped foot into RvR yet ive no real basis for comparison. Are the keep battles as frenetic as, say, Molvik (a BG I really enjoyed)?

Thorwyn

FH is my second home

Not even the 80 Util necklace?

collegien

Can't get enough of FH
I have A crafter skilled to legendary in all trades on US classic Alb. Once you know what items need making etc drop me a msg here and i will sort them for you.

I used to use the market explorer when trying to make/find templates, to see what items were available and work out what ones i would like, then find out how to farm them.

Rvr on classic is not as big as it used to be but still plenty fun can be had. I was killed many times tonight :(. I would have gotten away with it too if it wasnt for them pesky Hibz :p

:cheers:

Syri

FH is my second home

The templates are made using a combination of weapons or armour, and spellcrafting, which is a crafting skill to imbue extra stats into items.
On the template program, you can select what stats you want to add to each item.
It's a while since I played, and I know they've made some changes to how quality affects it now, but it used to be that to get the best out of an item, you needed on average 99% quality gems and items. You could also go for 100% but it was very time consuming.
The higher quality meant you could squeeze more stats into an item. Higher quality gems didn't use up as many of the armour's stat slots, higher quality armour got more stat slots.
Once you've picked which stats you're going to add, it will tell you the gem you need to make with spellcrafting to get that stat. I had my own spellcrafter, so I'd get the template program to produce a materials report, which most could do, and then just buy the materials needed and make all the gems listed at the top or bottom of the report, can't remember exactly where they appeared.
Once you've made the gems, you imbue them into the item.
I don't remember exactly how to do the stages, as I said, it's been a while. I hope what I have remembered is of some help to explaining it though.

Nates

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks a lot guys. Collegien thats a really great offer. Ive put together the following temp. Would you be able to make the player crafted bits? Incidentally, I noticed virtually all the items could be picked up from the a player auction vendor but some pieces ("Agramon's Demon Soul Crafted Bracer" as an example) cost quite a bit. Do you think I could do with replacing any expensive stuff or can it all be obtained relatively easily? :)

GearBunny v1.96b5 Template Report

Character Name : Backdrop
Character Level: 50
Realm Rank : 2
Server Type : Classic
Class : (Alb) Friar
Realm : Albion

<== Main Stat Bonuses ==>
Weapons Equipped : Two Handed (2H)

Stat Details Items / Cap (Diff.)
Constitution : 108 / 101 ( 7)
Dexterity : 104 / 101 ( 3)
Quickness : 87 / 87 ( 0)
Hit Points : 372 / 380 ( -8)

-=- Skill Bonuses -=-

Staff : 13 / 12 ( 1)
Parry : 1 / 12 ( -11)
Rejuve : 3 / 12 ( -9)
Enhance : 3 / 12 ( -9)
All Melee : +8 / 12
All Casting : 2 / 12

-=- Resistance Bonuses -=-

Crush Resist : 26 / 26 ( 0)
Slash Resist : 26 / 26 ( 0)
Thrust Resist : 26 / 26 ( 0)
Heat Resist : 26 / 26 ( 0)
Cold Resist : 26 / 26 ( 0)
Energy Resist : 26 / 26 ( 0)
Matter Resist : 26 / 26 ( 0)
Body Resist : 26 / 26 ( 0)
Spirit Resist : 23 / 26 ( -3)

-=- Other Bonuses -=-

Melee Speed : 1 / 10 ( -9)
Armor Factor Bonus : 34 / 50 ( -16)

<== Equipment Info ==>

<== Jewelry ==>

Jewel : Maleficent Darkspire Tempered Jewel
Item Notes : XML Import | 89% Quality | Source: Ethinarg
Level : 50
Expansion : <Unknown>
Constitution : 18
Spirit Resist : 6%
Slash Resist : 6%
Hit Points : 44
Constitution Cap : 6
Hit Points Cap : 32

Neck : Maleficent Darkspire Tempered Beads
Item Notes : XML Import | 89% Quality | Source: Ethinarg
Body Resist : 6%
Crush Resist : 6%
Armor Factor : 6

Cloak : Maleficent Darkspire Tempered Cloak
Level : 49
Expansion : Catacombs (Cat)
Thrust Resist : 6%
Energy Resist : 6%
Charges 1 : Undefined/Other

Belt : Maleficent Darkspire Adroit Belt
Dexterity : 18
Matter Resist : 6%
Thrust Resist : 6%
Dexterity Cap : 6

Ring1 : Maleficent Darkspire Mercurial Ring
Heat Resist : 6%
Crush Resist : 6%
Quickness : 18
Quickness Cap : 6

Ring2 : Astaroth's Ring of Abomination
Expansion : Darkness Rising (DR)
Hit Points : 40
Heat Resist : 5%
Energy Resist : 5%
Cold Resist : 6%
Hit Points Cap : 40

Wrist1 : Morgif's Decaying Flesh Bracelet
Expansion : Labyrinth of the Minotaur (LotM)
Dexterity : 30
Crush Resist : 2%
Slash Resist : 2%
Thrust Resist : 2%
Hit Points : 12
All Melee Skills : 2
All Casting Skills : 2
Dexterity Cap : 10

Wrist2 : Agramon's Demon Soul Crafted Bracer
Item Notes : Lord Aggramon Drop in Labyrinth
Level : 49
Expansion : Labyrinth of the Minotaur (LotM)
Constitution : 15
Hit Points Cap : 44
Heat Resist : 6%
Energy Resist : 6%
Cold Resist : 6%
Spirit Resist : 6%

<== Armor ==>

Chest : Lv51 Leather : ( All Melee + 3 )
(This is a Crafted Item)
Level : 51
Expansion : Classic Areas ('Mainland')
Slash Resist : 9 (Polished watery shielding jewel)
Matter Resist : 9 (Polished earthen shielding jewel)
Body Resist : 9 (Polished dusty shielding jewel)
Quickness : 16 (Polished airy essence jewel)
All Melee Skills : 3

Head : Lv51 Leather : ( Constitution + 15 )
(This is a Crafted Item)
Crush Resist : 9 (Polished fiery shielding jewel)
Heat Resist : 9 (Polished heated shielding jewel)
Cold Resist : 9 (Polished icy shielding jewel)
Quickness : 16 (Polished airy essence jewel)
Constitution : 15

Arms : Lv51 Leather : ( HP Cap + 40 )
(This is a Crafted Item)
Slash Resist : 9 (Polished watery shielding jewel)
Thrust Resist : 7 (Imperfect airy shielding jewel)
Energy Resist : 9 (Polished light shielding jewel)
Quickness : 19 (Faceted airy essence jewel)
Hit Points Cap : 40

Hands : Lv51 Leather : ( Dexterity Cap + 5 )
(This is a Crafted Item)
Spirit Resist : 11 (Faceted vapor shielding jewel)
Matter Resist : 11 (Faceted earthen shielding jewel)
Thrust Resist : 5 (Flawed airy shielding jewel)
Dexterity : 10 (Flawed vapor essence jewel)
Dexterity Cap : 5

Legs : Maleficent Darkspire Suede Leggings
Item Notes : XML Import | 100% Quality | Source: Ethinarg
Constitution : 24
All Melee Skills : 3
Hit Points : 56
Constitution Cap : 8
Melee Speed : 1%
Hit Points Cap : 24

Feet : Lv51 Leather : ( Armor Factor + 10 )
(This is a Crafted Item)
Body Resist : 11 (Faceted dusty shielding jewel)
Cold Resist : 5 (Flawed icy shielding jewel)
Crush Resist : 3 (Rough fiery shielding jewel)
Dexterity : 28 (Perfect vapor essence jewel)
Armor Factor : 10

<== Weapon(s) ==>

Two Hand : Maleficent Darkspire Quarterstaff
Item Notes : XML Import | 3.4 Speed | 100% Quality | Source: Ethinarg
Dexterity : 18
Quickness : 18
Staff Skill : 4
Dexterity Cap : 6
Quickness Cap : 6

Thanks much

deez

Fledgling Freddie
i see you're. anyways i think that template is missing quite abit + strength ;p

collegien

Can't get enough of FH
Hi Nates i will sort out the crafting for you but wont be till tuesday cos life is happening all around me :) will msg you here when done :)

Valgyr

Fledgling Freddie
jaja det siger du - 2x str debuff + oppression ;/

Str on a friar IS useless, nothing to argue. u go way past the encumbrance line with base str+str con buffs and opression on classic?

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Hiya mate, is indeed a brilliant game once you get into RvR. Such a shame you arrived late to the party.

A few useful utils
ghostmouse (i'll leave you to figure out why, but it involves crafting ;) )
About LOKI-DAoC
DAoC-TB

Links
The Camelot Herald
Classes of Camelot - Bounty Point Items
Classes of Camelot - Artifacts Search
Darkspire Walkthrough and Hints - Forums @ Prydwen.net [Darkspire stuff]
Ethinarg's Workshop
I Mod di ToA in italiano di Valmerwolf
The Camelot Herald
VN Boards - Choose A Board
The Camelot Herald

Sure i had more, its also missing info about quests (particularly the champion levels) etc, but these days you can put together a sensible template these days without a tenth of the effort of 3 years ago, provided you ain't too anal about it.

Nates

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry m8, have been away the last few days. My firar is "Induce". Will be online most of the weekend.

Thanks a lot :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
wish I knew about ghostmouse when I was crafting years ago....grumble grumble

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom