New Canon Budget Digital SLR

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
The Canon EOS 350d

8mp, 2.8 fps, instant-on and better noise levels.

This leaves me with a tough choice, to get a Nikon D70 or the 350d :/

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its not the number of pixels, but the quality of pixels. I'd stick with the D70, its more expensive for a reason.

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
When the 350d is released it is likely it will cost around £700-800 for the SLR and Kit lens, which is £100 more expensive than the D70 at least.

Although more expensive doesn't always mean better, however the sample photos from the 350d are nothing short of stunning. The level of detail captured and image noise are things that the D70 seems unable to match.

And I'm judging that from a canon .jpg file and a D70 .nef (raw) file.

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
It's a close run thing though. The D70 still looks far more professional and seems to have superior 'handling' to the 350d.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
A week late sorry, I don't look in here as often as I should.

I have a D70 Nos, and I love it. When I bought it there wasn't any real alternative. The 300D was way below the D70 and the Canon 10D was much more expensive for a similarly performing camera.

I'd agree with Tom that the jump to 8MP from 5 isn't in itself a reason to get teh Canon, I'd also question your view that the Nikon isn't capable of capturing detail. The difference between teh D70 and 350D I don't know, but if you're only using a couple of images to compare they may be misleading.

To be honest, and if you don't already have any money invested in lenses, then you have to look at those to help make your decision. The body you buy now may last 3-4 years, maybe longer if you can ignore the lure of better technology, but decent lenses will last far longer.

I can guarantee you will want decent lenses. The fact is that with my old SLR I got most of my shots printed at 5x7, with very few enlarged beyong 10x8. Now I won't do anything with any shot (not even delete it!) without looking at it at 100%. On my screen that is equivalent to an enlargement to 85cms x 57cms. Not a particularly fair test of a lens, but one that you'll do anyway.

When comparing the 2 cameras look at the kit lens that ship with them. The 18-70mm that the Nikon has is widely regarded as an excellent lens, well built and sharp. The lens that shipped with the Canon is a budget lens at best and would probably need updating sooner rather than later. The 350D may have addressed this though.

Also don't buy any of the cheaper D70 kits that seem to be out there, they come with a 28-80 lens that is very poor, and very cheap as a result.

In terms of noise I have never had a problem with my D70. The 300D apparently had more aggresive noise filters as standard and so a clear blue sky looks totally noise free. In comparison, at 100% you will see differences in pixels on a D70. At normal viewing distances for either a print or screen image this becomes a non issue (see my comment above re looking at images at 100%). I have got very nice images out of my D70, even up to 1600ISO, that a touch of say NoiseNinja can clean up perfectly well for printing.

Lastly make sure that you try both. I'm pretty sure that you'll find that both cameras are capable of taking pictures that'll blow you away, but you may find that the ergonomical differences are important to you.

I hope this helps, and hasn't come too late.

If you like have a look at some of my stuff. It isn't art and I'm not really an accomplised photographer but you may like a some of the pictures here. A couple of the shots in 'Old Stuff' were from my Nikon 5400 but all the rest are from a D70.

RB

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
I never said the D70 couldn't capture detail, I just said that the 350D appears to capture more :p

I'm still undecided which one to get, I do have some canon lenses already and am very tempted by the 350D. However the D70 does have a more 'high-end' featureset.

Take a look here for 4 sample images from the 350D. The 'Wife' and the 'Cake' images are amazing (imo).

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
You are right, the cake shot does show incredible detail. More than a D70? I honestly do not know, only a true side by side comparison would show for sure, but it is quite possible.

I am pretty sure though that at 5x7 or even 10x8 or more the differences would be very hard to spot on a printed image. Of course any extra detail, and those extra pixels do give you more leeway on cropping the image.

By the way what highend features does the D70 have that the 350D doesn't? I haven't looked closely at the new Canon, but I understood that it pretty well matched the Nikon except in flash sync range.

If you have decent Canon glass already, and you like the 350D ergonomics then probably go with the Canon, like I said either would blow you away.

Do you mostly print or display online?

RB

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
I mostly display online, but I do occasionally make poster prints so the extra megapixels of the 350D should help with larger prints.

Regarding a higher end feature set, the differences aren't huge, but the D70 certainly seems to offer more control over the image produced by the camera (lots of settings to tweak and fiddle with). The layout of the controls also seem to be more intuitive.

specsview.jpg

inhand01.jpg

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
New sample images

Canon have released some more sample images from the 350D, think I'll be getting one this month! :D

350D Samples

Embattle

FH is my second home
Looks better in black, although the plastics still look cheap although no way near as cheap looking as the 300D....I do like my D70 but I must use it more :)

I do find imagine samples are one of those things that only tell you part of the story, normally taken by a pro and in perfect conditions although there is no doubting it can take some mighty nice pictures.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
There are two bodies for the 300D, the first was indeed cheap and plastic. The second though is magnesium and is solid as a rock, these have replaced all the old style ones with these so you can't get a cheap 300D new afaik.

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
When did this happen? I've not heard about this, ever :eek7:

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
Just checked a few forums and you are indeed correct. Hopefully the 350D will share similar construction.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Got one,

fucking rox!!

Pictures soon.....

I can now resign my aging Minolta Dynax 7000i to the cupboard....

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
In the end I went onto a completely different tanget, and bought a brand new 10D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom