GDW

Ive just had a call from my brother who is building a new PC

1.4 ghz athlon
Chaintech 7AJA2
PC133 256 Ram
Gforce 2 MX
Creative Soundblaster 128
300wPSU
Problem is everytime switches on, the onboard speaker just beeps continually and wont boot to bios. I know its not the videocard or ram as it works ok on his old m/b. Also same happens using different videocard. All cards are securely connected . All jumpers areas per manual and all connections correct. Any ideas as to what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

O

old.TUG

Reseat all cards again (do it anyway :)), maybe rip HSF off, take CPU out, put it back in (sounds lame) and HSF it up again, see wot happens. If no go, rip mobo out and make sure it aint shorting on anything, it's sitting straight on the standoffs etc. Tell him to build it outta the case too... he'll know if it all works @ least

W

Will

I've got a different mobo, but a continually beeping for my bios means "No DRAM installed or detected" - check the RAM seating, and if that's ok, check it's been inserted largest piece in slot 1, then down to the end. Maybe I'm talking crap though...

T

Testin da Cable

aye try swapping the dimms from slot to slot.
if two dimms try booting with first one, then the other.

I had just about the same thing, and it turned out one of my two dimms was defective.

-TdC

W

Will

I had it happen when I tried to run unbranded RAM at CAS2-2-2. Had to go into my BIOS with no monitor support to fix it:(

O

old.D R E ad

The number and frequency of beeps has a meaning. Look in the mobo's manual or web site to see what they mean. Also try booting without any RAM installed. If you can get into the BIOS then its a RAM problem. Also try booting without the HD installed to see if you can get into the BIOS then.

O

old.D R E ad

Also try removing then putting back the CMOS's battery.

G

GDW

Thanks peeps. Weve got the problem sorted. I went up to his house myself and youll never believe what he had done....

OMFG ROFL .... he had used a whole tube, yes a whole tube, of artic silver on his cpu...no wonder the thing was shorting. Luckily he hadnt fried it :)

Thanks for the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom