Networks are a bastid

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Ok here is the situation, the whole of my GFs house in on a wireless network so they all have internet access as thery are all connected to the router.

However im still in the past as my pc has no wireless network card, before this was not a problem as my pc was next to the router and i plugged directly into it with a network cable + switch box, now we have moved and my pc is in another room to the router, no problem i thought, ill just connect to my gfs pc and get her to share her net connetion, this would work but there is a slight problem, im not sure of the way im connecting the computers into the switch box is right (alas no crossover cable), as far as i know you just plug one into lets say port 2 on the box (as port 1 is for modems etc) and the other pc into port 3 set them manual IPs and away you go, this worked slightly for a few hours but all i seemed able to do was netmeeting, now her computer will blue screen if i try to enable the network card on either manual ip or auto, i fear her windows installation is buggered and sorely needs a re install, but i thought i would ask you lot as i may be doing somthing obvious wrong.

And no im not forking out for a wireless network card

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
not sure if I understood that right, but the setup you seem to want is

A switch usually got a row of ports for the PCs, and an Uplink Port for connections to other routers/switches. The Uplink is usually seperated from the ports in some way (eg on the side of the switch).

all you got to do is connect your PCs network card with a patch-cable to the switch, then the same for your GFs PC. Don't plug anything into the Uplink port.

Now you need to share the Internet access on your GFs PC, followed by creating a bridge of her WLAN Adapter and the Network Card the Switch is connected to.

System Properties -> Network -> select both adapters -> right click -> bridge/by-pass (something like that)

reboot both PCs and it should work.

P.S. nothing of this should cause bluescreens though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom