Networking

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I have my PC linked to an ADSL Modem Router, i setup my home network even though it was just me on it! My family bought a new PC and wanted to use the internet so i plugged their's into my router and ran the wizard, they can get online no probs :)

At my friends they have 3 pc's, if they ever want to transfer data they have a folder thats shared for the network group so you use it much like a airport post box.

I want to be able to set this up so that i can transfer music, virus software etc.

I have ran the wizard to setup the network with "Allow file and print sharing", I also right clicked on 2 folders i made (reside in my documents) and ticked the sharing feature, now the folder icons have a hand under neath.

So from the look of things i have both folders set to share...however i cant work out how to find them on the other pc, i have checked "work group computers" and the other pc does not appear (should this appear? also do i need to configure the firewall or something? was lead to believe it would auto update this for me).

I looked online but only found out how to make the folders shared, not actually locate them.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
OK few things to check
1) Can you connect to the other computers
On all the machines you are sharing files on
-Click start->Run
-Type "cmd"
This should bring up the command prompt
-Type "ipconfig"
Note down the IP and Subnet Mask

-Turn off all the firewalls on the computers you want to connect
On the pc you want to share files with (i.e the one the files arent on) we are going to check if the computers can "see" each other.
-Click start->Run
-Type "cmd"
This should bring up the command prompt
-Type "ipconfig"
You need to check if the subnet on both pc's match, if they do
-Type "Ping <ip address of the pc you are sharing files on>"
e.g ping 192.168.1.1
Post the results here

2) Are you in the same workgroup
To check this;
-right click "my computer"->Properties
-Click the "Computer Name" tab
You should see:
Computer Description:
Computer Name:
Workgroup: WORKGROUP

make sure this is the same on all the pc's you want connected (there are other ways to map drives but for simplicities sake i suggest you do that), you may need to restart the PC before changes take effect

Post results of the above here and we go from there

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Ok i will try that thanks :) nerf, 4 more hours before i get home!

my friend said in network properties i can disable the firewall under the advanced Tab for that machine, im sure the workgroup is correct but there is no harm in checking.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
grrr went out yesterday so never got a real chance to try what you said, will update this when i get the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom