Networking...

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

Ok, First thing: I've never set up a network before, which is why i'm having problems
I have 2 computers, My own computer and a family one. I have set up a network through a router. The internet works fine. I can get the internet on both computers.

Problem #1- File/Print sharing wont work across the network. The computers just cant see each other on the network. They're both on the same workgroup... I've been through network setup and the computers can access each other... kinda..

For example If I run bulletproof FTP server on the family computer I can connect to ftp://192.168.1.101 and it works, so it's not completly b0rked

Problem #2- Gaming... In some games it works fine. (Vietcong, Jedi Knight) the games show up on the list.
On others, I can play... But the games wont show up on the game list. (Unreal Tournament, Jedi Academy) I have to type "connect 192.168.1.100" to connect, in UT i need to go to open location and put the IP in.

I'm thinking this problem is similar to the first one, the computers just cant see each other.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this? Thanks.

D

Deadmanwalking

Ok first what OS on both systems?

And your internet setup, NAT, Static IPS etc etc any thing relevant please.

Any firewalls etc running?

Q

Quige

As Deadmanwalking said .. you using Zone alarm or any other firewall.? I have a mate who always forgets to turn it off when he comes to play LAN, and can never see the server until he does. It's been a while since I used Zonealarm but most firewalls will have a place to put your Local LAN IP range in as ''friendly", and and as such unfiltered.

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

I'm using windows XP Pro on both PC's. The pc's are connected via a linksys router. The internet uses dynamic IP and the internet is working fine on both pc's.

I have Zone alarm on 1 PC and Norton internet security on the other. As far as I'm aware the firewalls are set to allow all local connections. I cannot check the other pc at the moment as it is in use, but I'll check this one..

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

After adding the IP of each computer to the "Trusted zones" in the other ones firewall, I can now see the other computer :)

From the family computer, I can view the shared files on my computer. However, from my computer I can see the names of the shares but when I double click them to open them and see the contents, I get this error:

\\Family\SharedDocs is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contace the network administrator of this computer to find out if you have access permissions.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

Any ideas?

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

Hmm, even trying to access my own files from \\Toms\SharedDocs I get the same error...

Q

Quige

Not sure if this will help ... seem to saying about increasing a registry key value.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1056846065

Other than that there seems to be some implication in Windows XP Hotfix Q326886 being installed on people getting similar errors. If it's installed try uninstalling it.

Also how is security defined on the shares at either end?

P

PR.

You haven't got XPs firewall running? cos that blocks File and Print sharing.

Personally if the Router has NAT then I would say remove the firewall software from the desktop machines its gonna cause more headaches than it solves.

C

Chameleon

I'd be wary of relying on only a NAT router for your security. It's not half as secure as you might think tbh. Try Kerio personal firewall if you find norton/zonealarm to be a bit limited.

S

]SK[

Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi
I have Zone alarm on 1 PC and Norton internet security on the other. As far as I'm aware the firewalls are set to allow all local connections. I cannot check the other pc at the moment as it is in use, but I'll check this one..

Your behind a router which is enough protection for a home user IMO, running a NAT firewall and then software firewall on each machine is for the paranoid...

W

wyrd_fish

my hame network has:
4 computers. mine(10/100), my brothers(wireless), my dads(10/100/1000) and the office one(10/100)
1 gismo made b my dad (10mbps)
1 laptop (wireless lan)
1 wireless broard band router allowing only the MACs of these 6 things to access it

as well as norton all over the place...

its abit of a shambles but it get the job done

S

(Shovel)

You need to double check this, I had a similar problem with ZA when I set up my network back home over the summer.

The trouble is, I use Outpost here, so it's a pain in the arse trying to remember where the setting is. You have to (I think) enter your networks netmask in the Trusted Zones part of the settings. It does become fairly clear when you find it. Maybe a ZA user will realise what I'm talking about and find a screenshot.

Basically, it blocks some of the network traffic and stops other local machines sharing folders and some other connections. What you do is add your local netmask to this setting and it effectively whitelists the entire local network.

D

Dr_Weasel

Originally posted by ]SK[
Your behind a router which is enough protection for a home user IMO, running a NAT firewall and then software firewall on each machine is for the paranoid...

Or for the people that have their girlfriends download shareware/spyware games and install them whilst you're at work.

The NAT is good enough to stop incoming traffic, but at least the software firewalls block all the outgoing rubbish that you might not of known you had...

(and yes, I regularly run adware, etc to find out what shes been upto :) )

S

]SK[

Simple dont give them rights to install crap. My missus on this pc has only internet access :D

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

My computer using norton internet security. Even with it disabled it wont work.

I changed the registry key (Added it to be more exact) it does not work.

XP's firewall is turned off.

Still got the problem. Any ideas?

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

Yeah, they are. I can see the shared folders but once I double click one i get that error message.

D

Deadmanwalking

What are the share permissions on the folders/drives?

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

I'm using simple file sharing and just have 3 folders on the family machince set to shared.

D

Deadmanwalking

Right click on the folder >> properties >> sharing >> share this folder as <whatevere>

Then click on the permissions button

E

evilmonkeh

i have found the windows xp is often a real arse to get folders to share...
i had to reboot each machine several times, run the wizzard etc and finnally got it working. try it without any firewalls open, and work from there. if it still doesnt work you know its not the firewall, so you can put them back on.

S

]SK[

Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi
Yeah, they are. I can see the shared folders but once I double click one i get that error message.

Whats the error? Enable the guest account on the XP machine or make the username and password the same on each machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom