networking, need some advice please chaps

G

goristroth

Hello everybody,

My bro and I are currently setting up a network (only 2 pc's) and we need a little advice concerning a suitable anti-virus and firewall to use. The network is for Daoc use, so i thought where better to ask than here =)

Atm I'm currently running with Zone alarm Pro 4 with the beta web filtering and avast anti-virus 4 (the free one for home use from download.com). Do you guys think that this set up is adequete, or should we be looking elewhere for better security?
Also, which comp needs the firewall or anti-virus...the one acting as gateway or both ? i have read that the gateway comp needs the firewall but can't find any advice as to which comp (maybe both ?) needs the anti-virus.
Many thanks in advance, on behalf of the technologically challenged ;-)

G

Gizmoduck

The gateway pc is the one needing the firewall, both pc's need antivirus software.

If you have a dynamic ip then the chances that you get "hacked" is less than static ip.

Wingate is a good gateway program, but its not free.

Gizmo

G

goristroth

Thanks for the response mate. Was having a look on the box and my network starter kit comes with Belkin SOHO networking software... does that do just the same job as this WinGate software you mentioned. Btw i checked that program out and read some good reviews
thanks for you time mate

N

Nazgul

I would recommend the following: ( *cough* KaZaA *cough*)
Norton Anti Virus 2003 the new version will be out soon also.
Zone Alarm (latest version)
Also I have never used it but Norton Firewall is meant to be good.

S

Sibanac

just save yourself alot of hassel and get a 60€ broadband router

C

chretien

The Belkin SOHO program will be pretty much the same as Wingate. I've never used it as I use Sygate to run my network but it should be ok.

K

kestral

I also would recommend using a router to protect your set-up. They aren't that expensive and offer a lot of protection.

Plus of course, a good anti-virus program.

F

freewheelin

I also recomend a router

I would also recomend a router as the gateway PC take a huge performance hit.

Get a router that allows you to do all setting up from a web page interface. Some still need scripts for some set up functions.

I use an Edimax combined broad band router and switch and all setting up is done through a web page interface. Very, very easy. If you sign into your broadband ISP via a mac address rather than username and password then this router is good as it allows mac address cloning.

From web interface you can set up different types of logins for different types of ISP providers plus there is the built in firewall.

Once the set up is done just plug the PCs into the switch part of the router and off you go.

K

klavrynd

- a firewall gives a false sense of security if you don't know what it does

- a firewall makes you more paranoid then you need to be (when you dont know what it does)

- gateway pc's do not take huge performance hits when you use a decent program

Wingate made the gateway pc unusable when i started downloading on another computer, but when i switched to winroute it was fixed (after some testing this is imo the best inet sharing program)

Still, if you don't want one computer to be on 24/7 you might go for the hardware option, a broadband router.

Users who are viewing this thread