Networking help please

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Just built my new comp and set it and my old one up with a router (not a hub, a router). I get my connection from a lan that exists in the entire house i live in (a student apartement house). Now, ive managed to get both comps internet access with the router, no problem there, but when i try to find one of them with the other it cant be found. Have enabled filesharing, shared some maps, disabled firewalls, tried running XP's automated network setup (only made one comp lose internet access =.= ) and restarted and restarted and restarted etc. Still cant find each other. The router software sees both and have given them adresses, but they still cant find each other. Getting very annoyed as one of the main reason for getting a second comp was to have a little network. Can anyone think of anything i might have missed? Problmes with only a router as only connection device? Problem with my internet sourse beeing a network in the first place - can you have a network when your in a network?
Getting very frustrated :(

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
could try getting a crossover cable and making your main pc the host, and connect the 2nd pc directly to it (although this would requier 2 network cards in the host pc) then run the wizard on the main pc, sayng this comp connects directly to the internet, then the wizard on the other pc saying this comp connects through the internert through another pc on my network.

did that as a makedo solution in my old house untill i moved and got a new router / hub setup. managed to get them both online, and file share nps without any configuration other than the xp networking wizard.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
First step really is to just see if you can ping the other machine.

set the both to dhcp, boot them up,

get the ip addresses for both machines prolly 192.168.1.2 or similar depending on who made your router.

Go to each machine and ping the other depending on the result determins the next step really, but if both succesfull in pinging, try going start run

and type

\\ip of other machine e.g \\192.168.1.2

this shud make a connection to any shares you have on the other machine.

need feedback tho tbh

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
Just check you have enabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP. It's under Internet protocol (TCP/IP) properties/General/Advanced/WINS

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Kalid said:
Just check you have enabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP. It's under Internet protocol (TCP/IP) properties/General/Advanced/WINS

It's not needed and it won't help resolve any connectivity issues because has nothing to do with connectivity.

Vesania

Fledgling Freddie
Boomeruk said:
could try getting a crossover cable and making your main pc the host, and connect the 2nd pc directly to it (although this would requier 2 network cards in the host pc) then run the wizard on the main pc, sayng this comp connects directly to the internet, then the wizard on the other pc saying this comp connects through the internert through another pc on my network.

did that as a makedo solution in my old house untill i moved and got a new router / hub setup. managed to get them both online, and file share nps without any configuration other than the xp networking wizard.

I have a similar set up, with my pc connecting via USB port to the internet and to my partner's pc via crosscable. I will be changing this as soon as a router modem w/rj45 arries at my house on Friday, as the set up gives no end of trouble, not least that acting as gateway literally halves performance on my pc.

Routing your second pc via your first might not be as problematic for you, but it's something to bear in mind. After the headaches I've had over it, I certainly won't be considering it again.

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
If you're running XP on both machines (might have missed you saying that you do or don't) they may not show up in Network Places, but you may still be able to access one from the other with Explorer/tools/map network drive.
My BF and me only used a router and could connect fine with mapping network drive, think we had problems seeing each other's comp in Network Places until we did a map network drive (can't remember exactly though).

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Kalid said:

thats a broadcast protcol. So if u don't want to showever everone in packets don't use it.

Aye get the Ip addy and see if u can ping it.
if u can mapp a drive .. like

//192.128.2.1/sharedocs

what's prob wrong your DNS servers are not set , Find out what they are on your main puter , and change the 2nd puter to them as well ... Should help .
Also chaning the Default Gateway to the IP addy of the router might help too =)

Hope this helps , if it does u can buy me one of these :drink:

Herjulf

Banned
My first thought is i got hung up at the router software part.

Your network setup is it as following?

COMP---|---router(cheap hardware router)---(lan/big bad internet)
COMP---|

or

comp----comp(w.router software*)---(lan/big bad internet)

*what router:ish software are u using? Wingate/win xp built in? Linux box, w iptables/ipchains?

in example 1, most routers note most are passive towards the LAN, and the ports towards the LAN are based on switching, except in some cases where the router have a little more advanced feature as being able to setting rules for the LAN aswell. However even those have MS netbios traffic open by default between the LAN ports. Some newer routers had "missconfigured" firmware that didnt allow computers to ping eachother on the LAN side. (switch control)

in 2. it varies some softwares allows you to use a guide and asks you to tell the software what level of security and what you want to do.
Some have templates, with pre defined rules.
I never use MS software always use hardware routers or linux box routing, hint Shorewall Firewall(*nix), nifty thing.
But my guess is that if u are using example 2, it is a matter of configuration.

I am pretty shure that u are using something similar to ex.2.

My hint is skip MS software based routing, and buy a cheap home router.
what can they cost? 40-60 euro or smt. some expensiver.
If u are gonna buy any i say D-link rather then Netgear. Netgear have problems, just about all routers from netgear i have tried cant hack the pressure of several simultaneus downloads, like bittorrent session for long, causing broken downloads or hangs.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Herjulf said:
My first thought is i got hung up at the router software part.

Your network setup is it as following?

COMP---|---router(cheap hardware router)---(lan/big bad internet)
COMP---|

or

comp----comp(w.router software*)---(lan/big bad internet)

*what router:ish software are u using? Wingate/win xp built in? Linux box, w iptables/ipchains?

in example 1, most routers note most are passive towards the LAN, and the ports towards the LAN are based on switching, except in some cases where the router have a little more advanced feature as being able to setting rules for the LAN aswell. However even those have MS netbios traffic open by default between the LAN ports. Some newer routers had "missconfigured" firmware that didnt allow computers to ping eachother on the LAN side. (switch control)

in 2. it varies some softwares allows you to use a guide and asks you to tell the software what level of security and what you want to do.
Some have templates, with pre defined rules.
I never use MS software always use hardware routers or linux box routing, hint Shorewall Firewall(*nix), nifty thing.
But my guess is that if u are using example 2, it is a matter of configuration.

I am pretty shure that u are using something similar to ex.2.

My hint is skip MS software based routing, and buy a cheap home router.
what can they cost? 40-60 euro or smt. some expensiver.
If u are gonna buy any i say D-link rather then Netgear. Netgear have problems, just about all routers from netgear i have tried cant hack the pressure of several simultaneus downloads, like bittorrent session for long, causing broken downloads or hangs.

My Hint would be read problem before you tech it :p

Fana said:
Now, ive managed to get both comps internet access with the router, no problem there

Is it like only every other person can read this or what>? :m00:

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it :) as im at my wits end here :(

The comps and router are set up as Herjulfs ex.1 and i configured the (hardware) router with the new comp first and then added in the old one when the first had internet access etc. The old one also didnt have any trouble getting internet access via tha router when i plugged it in.

The router is a Netgear 4 port router with 10/100mbps switch (RP614v2) and its operated with its own ip adress (//192.168.0.1 takes me to the setup for the router) it then takes over my static IP and assigns the comps connected to it new adresses (192.168.0.X etc).

I tried pinging one comp from the next and it works, they can both ping each other on their assigned IP's. But i still cant access them =/
Oh and for some reason when i type //192etcetc in an explorer window it automatically changes it to "Searchfor//192etcetc" Can this be disabled?
I cant access any shared maps in a Command prompt either, unless im doing something wrong (i type //192.168.0.2/downloads, for example, to try and access that shared folder on the new comp from the old).

Aremeriel, im not sure how to do what you described, cant seem to find the option anywhere, can you elaborate?

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it :) as im at my wits end here :(

The comps and router are set up as Herjulfs ex.1 and i configured the (hardware) router with the new comp first and then added in the old one when the first had internet access etc. The old one also didnt have any trouble getting internet access via tha router when i plugged it in.

The router is a Netgear 4 port router with 10/100mbps switch (RP614v2) and its operated with its own ip adress (//192.168.0.1 takes me to the setup for the router) it then takes over my static IP and assigns the comps connected to it new adresses (192.168.0.X etc).

I tried pinging one comp from the next and it works, they can both ping each other on their assigned IP's. But i still cant access them =/
Oh and for some reason when i type //192etcetc in an explorer window it automatically changes it to "Searchfor//192etcetc" Can this be disabled?
I cant access any shared maps in a Command prompt either, unless im doing something wrong (i type //192.168.0.2/downloads, for example, to try and access that shared folder on the new comp from the old).

Aremeriel, im not sure how to do what you described, cant seem to find the option anywhere, can you elaborate?

well if u can ping each machine then there isnt much left to do.

go start > run and type

\\192.168.0.2 (back slash not forward slash) you dont need to specify any share as ALL shares will be listed if you do not define any (except hidden shraes which you dont need to worry about at this point)

also, how exactly are you trying to connect? where are u clicking and what responses are you getting?

(ignore mapping network drives for now) it wont solve the root cause at this point

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Got alil help from a neighbor. He suggested enableing the "Guest" account on both machines and we did. Now the old comp can access the new comp but the new one cant access the old one. The person helping me thought there must be something wrong with the old ones filesharing setup but he could not find anyhting that would cause it, so still cant operate the network as its supposed to (want both to be able to access each other naturally).
Anyone know what might be causing this isse with only one way filesharing?

This is what i get (translated from swedish) when using Run and //192.168.0.3 (the old comps adress):
"//192.168.0.3 is not available. You may not be authorized to use this resource. Ask your systems administrator for help".

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
I cant access any shared maps in a Command prompt either, unless im doing something wrong (i type //192.168.0.2/downloads, for example, to try and

Stuff i forgot to mention :)

Browser use backslashes //stuff/morstuff.htm etc

browsing directories and computers use backslashes \\computer\share\subdirectory etc

c:\windows\program files and http://bbc.co.uk/news (as another more familiar examples)

do \\192.160.0.2 from run, not the command promt btw

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Got alil help from a neighbor. He suggested enableing the "Guest" account on both machines and we did. Now the old comp can access the new comp but the new one cant access the old one. The person helping me thought there must be something wrong with the old ones filesharing setup but he could not find anyhting that would cause it, so still cant operate the network as its supposed to (want both to be able to access each other naturally).
Anyone know what might be causing this isse with only one way filesharing?

This is what i get (translated from swedish) when using Run and //192.168.0.3 (the old comps adress):
"//192.168.0.3 is not available. You may not be authorized to use this resource. Ask your systems administrator for help".

filsharing prob if in xp you may need to do these steps

open windows explorer (open my computer basically) goto

tools>folder options> view and scroll down to the bottom and remove the tick from the enable simple file sharing box

make new windows accounts using user manager from control panel and disbale the guest accounts.

you may also need to give permissions to the accounts you set up or the guest account if you leave it enabled else you will get autherisation/permission errors when trying to write to the shares

go learn about windows account managment and filesharing

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Wee! working now! Thanks for reminding me to specifiy what share i was searching for Mojo :D

Worked when i did \\192.168.0.3\film

I was sharing this one, and when typing in the whole adress it worked :)

Thanks alot all!

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Or well... semi working - i can only access the shared maps if i use the Run prompt. Cant make shortcuts to them for some reason.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Or well... semi working - i can only access the shared maps if i use the Run prompt. Cant make shortcuts to them for some reason.

check my last post on how to disable simple file sharing

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Tried it but it makes no difference =/ But anyway, i can live with having to type in the adress, the main thing is that its possible to copy over files from one comp to the other :)
Now i just need a 100mbit card in the old one as well (10 currently) so that moving a movie etc doesnt take 10-15 min

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
Fana said:
What I described enables you to access the computers in Windows Explorer and is also used when creating "shortcuts" or rather, you get drive letters on them in the explorer window.

Share the root directories on each comp, ie. c:, d: etc

Example: On comp2
Open windows explorer
Right click on c: choose sharing and security
Click on share this folder on network, click ok

On comp1
Start Windows Explorer (Windows button + e). ;)
Click on tools, then on map network drive
A dialog box opens up. Enter your choices in the fields, for instance

Drive: X: (or any other you want that is not used)
Folder: \\nameofcomp2(or IP adress)\c$
Let reconnect on login be enabled and you won't have to go through this again.

Click OK. Voila, drive X: on comp1 now equals c: on comp2

Hope this helps. And just ask if you wonder about anything.

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
Mojo said:
It's not needed and it won't help resolve any connectivity issues because has nothing to do with connectivity.

As far as I can tell there are no connectivity problems, both computers gets an IP, but when he says he can't see each other (assuming in explorer) the NetBIOS enabling would solve it (if not enabled).

[SS]Gamblor said:
thats a broadcast protcol. So if u don't want to showever everone in packets don't use it.

Aye get the Ip addy and see if u can ping it.
if u can mapp a drive .. like

//192.128.2.1/sharedocs

what's prob wrong your DNS servers are not set , Find out what they are on your main puter , and change the 2nd puter to them as well ... Should help .
Also chaning the Default Gateway to the IP addy of the router might help too =)

Ha has a router, so and I doubt it's that advanced it will forward any broadcast msg. However the built-in switch will and thus allow the computers to "see" eachother in the windows explorer.

I would enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. It's easier in the future if you add more computers to your network or change the NIC. Most home broadband gateways/routers will try to give the same computer (or NIC rather) the same IP. When you change the NIC the MAC-adress will also change and it's likely the computer will recieve another IP (this only applies if you use DHCP and not static IP addresses). Then you have to remapp your network drives as described before.

Solving your permissions would be to create accounts with the same name (or use the administrator accounts) and set the same password on both your computers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom