Neocron in open beta

A

Armolas

Well it is looking good, and can be downloaded from www.neocron.com/ .

Dunno how it plays just yet as it is a big download, but I'm sure some of you wanted to know it's out anyway.

If you have it already, how is it?

T

_tindel_

been only playing it a little the recent days but the first impression is very good besides that it crashes alot :p
havent tried out the combat system too much yet or been out of city to explore but I will try to get more into it :)

O

old.neenee

lol, not impressed so far.

started downloading it at 10pm saturday, after i finished all the patches and finaly logged in it was 10am sunday :D

anyway.

i got to grips with the general apsects of the game, all bar combat i guess, as you cant even kill a shitty rat with that blade you use, and yes its VERY buggy, servers crash alot, you may also find that when you log in your charachter may have been deleted.

big mistake to make it open beta imo.

W

wolvon fury

I ernt downloading a 1gb file, pfft.. even with DSL can't be arsed with that.

PC Gamer will probilly place it on there DvD disks, i'll just wait for that.

K

klavrynd

imho it isnt worth the huge download (keep in mind that you need about 10 patches after installing)

Except for a lousy manual, and 500 germans running around yelling 'ich bin ein hax0r' the game's pretty boring. But the cities do look nice and detailled

O

old.neenee

one thing i would say you try is the offline demo, only 95mb.

Here

S

SFXman

Originally posted by klavrynd
and 500 germans running around yelling 'ich bin ein hax0r' the game's pretty boring. But the cities do look nice and detailled
lol :D

But about the installation, what a total bitch I must confess. Took me forever to free up space on C: and then it still didn't work HOW THE MANUAL SAID and only after I freed up 500 more megs for the install .exe file I was able to install the thing...
I found the game very confusing at first and quit to play DAoC, but I will still try it sometime.
Took ne 5 hours to download the game.

D

Damini

I'm playing the open beta. And my god... the germans... the swearing and kewlness!! As an example, I shall use the word funk and show what I mean...

German: TO THE FUNKER WHO STOLE MY KNIFE... FUNK YOU YOU FUNKING FUNK FUNK.

*general ignoring of irate german*

German: i'M GOING TO FUNK YOU SO HARD, I WILL FUNK YOUR HEAD OPEN, I WILL DESTROY YOU WITH FUNKING. YOUR AN ARSE. I WILL FUNK YOUR MOTHER AND YOUR SISTER TILL THEY BURST.

And so it continues... for hours... They are thoroughly obnoxious. I'm not saying there aren't some nice german players in Neocrom, I'm just saying they're probably hiding from the loud swearey evil germans. And, apparently, they can speak german in lower case, but in english IT MUST BE ALL CAPS. Odd.

My other half is enjoying the game, though he's spitting with the buggyness of it all still. I'm finding it a bit difficult to get into, because I'm not great with directions and I keep running around in circles.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

I honestly can't stand the majority of german gamers... regardless where you find them.

"Loud" and obnoxious describes them best... especially when it comes to FPS games.

Oh - I am German by the way (I was born there... lets put it like that;)). So listen to me, when I say:

FUNK YOU ALL YOU FUNKERS!!1 ... hehe

K

klavrynd

I've got absolutely no problem with germans. When i played Avalon in beta 99% of all the players i met were really nice and didn't give a shit about my not-so-perfect german (whereas you get shit thrown at you when you make one eensy-weensy spelling error on french servers) and they do seem to be more of teamplayers (play 1 hour on avalon or one hour on broceliande/excalibur and you'll see what i mean).

Imagine taking all the 1337 12 yr old cs and diablo playing germans that just stopped googling (www.google.com :) ) for "hacking manual" "mailbomber" and "how 2 iz 1337", add a bunch of nitwits that just saw "Johnny Mnemonic " and claim to be the cyberpunk kings (can you say Neuromancer with a twist and ice-t and keanu reeves fucking it over ? ), and plonking them into a chatroom.

ready?

ok, now think of a game of cs with better graphics and a more advance system then only shooting

now merge these two things and *poosh* you have neocron

K

klavrynd

awww did i offend you?

please direct your complaints to the x button in the upper right border of your screen

L

logan6

uh neocron is bad imo... my sum up so far:

Positive:

- the city itself. stunning, beautiful, confusing, loud, graffity, restaurants, bars ---> just excellent!

- This Appartment thing, thats cool. You got your vault there, your own healer :) given you can find it again... most people i know never find the way back to it :)

- cool crafting system, my gf plays (played..) a streetdoc who could implant things for other players. Apart from implanting theres constructing things, researching new blueprints for the constructors, repairing... thats nice

- The hacking game, its nice. Its clearly stolen from Paradroid. a shame that old paradroid did it much better... its faster, more skill-driven. In Neocron you can see if you can win after 2 seconds... if you got lucky with the layout.

- the Law Chip system: Every character has an implant, it prevents you from attacking other people. Get it out your head and you get: one more space in your head for implants :) you level faster and all equipment can be worn with lower requirements. But you can also be shot by other players who took out their law chip. They can then even loot your quickbelt. So you get to chose if you want to do PvP and WHEN! Thats not an option with DAoC... you have to level a lot until you can PvP. In this game, take the 10 minutes and rip out the implant and there you go! :)

Negative:

- The biggest Grief first: COMBAT... it plainly sucks. It has no aggro dynamic at all, the enemies move totally confusing, they turn a lot and nobody knows why... A cockroach can withstand around 10 hits from my brass knuckles. wow! Its several minutes to level a giant rat, while she has no chance of winning if you move clever. Because shes dumb. AI is non existant. Pathfinding neither.

- Skill system and requirements for equipment. The skill system is a nice crossover between the classical level-up-and-distribute-points system used in camelot and a dungeon siege (and many others) like system where you get better in the skills you actually use. You advance in levels in strenght for killing rats and flies :) and you get points do distibute in several "skills" that relate to strenght. quite nice, but you dont have a large influence on how your character advances. If you dont know the tricks to improve certain attributes (who would think that recycling is THE dexterity machine???) it gets old very fast... i killed lots and lots of stuff with my hacker and i hacked open every ammo box i found - i didnt get any increase in either str/dex or int. This truly sucks.

- Combat... it sucks so bad.

- did i mention combat and AI?

- Models and Animations: While the overall graphic is probably better than DAoCs graphics, the models and especially the animations suck sooo bad. The models got some cool design really, with lots of tatoos and stuff.. but ugly. just not nice. And when they start to move its all over. But you really get to cry once you go to combat. The characters just stab in one motion with their knife... baaah boring and totally ugly. no difference in moves... and it doesnt get better with guns equipped.. uhh... *shiver*

For me, Combat is a major part of a game like this. It is so badly done here that it ruins an otherwise nice game totally. I could even live with the pre-doom animations (really its so crappy...), but combat is no fun sadly.
Neocron city offers a multitude of RPG opportunities that camelot can only dream of. Thats the really strong point of the game imo.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by klavrynd
awww did i offend you?

please direct your complaints to the x button in the upper right border of your screen

Damn it! It's bugged... every time I try to send my complaint, I end up back on my desktop....

FUNKING RIGHTNOW!!1

A

Armolas

Well 1st impressions are that it looks nice enough, but play's not too good.

You start off in an apartment (nice touch) but to get out of the apartment required appealing being stuck, as the door refused to work :(
after that run around on a mission (hmmmm need a map for this game quite badly) delivering some stuff to someone, try hacking into something, get a fairly arcane interface, give that up, go into the sewers and slay a spider or something.

Well combat seems dull, but then againI am only a starting char, lets log for a bit and look at the manual and see what I can do.

Hmmmmmmm ....manual is in German only!!!!

good try, needs more work - I'll maybe try again a bit later, but for now having a manual, even a quickstart guide or something would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom