Need present help for my Dad (Diablo II fan)

Damini

Part of the furniture
My Dad is a great fan of hack and slash games. He's playing Diablo II through for the umpteenth time on the PC at the moment, and he loved the Baldur's gate game on the ps2. I want to introduce him to a new game, but the trouble is that if it gets even vaguely more complicated than button mashing, he can't cope. Changing view point, or 3d imagery? Noo... my Dad will literally walk in circles for five minutes before throwing down the control. Different attack/defence modes? Noo... my dad wants to charge forward, club things over the head, and then run on. Need to examine/interact with the scenery? Noo... if you can't smash it or kill it, my Dad views it with disdain. He'll talk to characters, but that's about it. I tried to introduce him to Neverwinter Nights, but he couldn't get on with the radial options. He played Fall Out II (iirc) on the playstation 2, and enjoyed that.

Have any of you played Baldur's Gate, Dark Alliance II? Is it exactly the same format as the games before it, or have they made it more complex? Are there any golden oldie games I can dig out for him to play? Do you have any recommendations? Basically, my Dad likes games with where you can play a barbarian type (and not have to faff around with any of that nancy magic... heh), smash crates to find gold and potions, never have to worry about camera angles, and charge along with no idea of tactics beyond stab, stab, stab, heal potion, stab, stab, loot corpse, oooooh massive battle axe, yay.

Help a daughter out!

Gray

FH is my second home
I played Diablo II for a few years, it was my very first game of that genre so i didnt think i would like it much, but after seeing one of my brothers playing it i decided to get it and tag along.

Admitedly it was probably the best game i have played in a very long time. It did get boring though, so i decided to go and ask around about new games which would be similar.

There was a few games which cropped up, i believe "Freedom Force" was one [I know because i bought it...] but i never actually played it. Instead i got myself Warcraft and havent really looked back [I have, but the addiction kind of wont let me...]

I would say Warcraft is one of the best games ever made, but by the sounds of it it probably wouldnt be your dads "style" as such, so i can only throw out some suggestions [Unless maybe, you give your dad a 10 day free trial of Warcraft...] things like:

Warcraft 3 [This is graphically, very much like Diablo II]
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction [High chance he has probably got this expansion installed?]
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion [Admittedly something i was looking at, at one point]
A large pack of socks

Theyre some i can only think up, ive always wanted to try out Warcraft 1-2-3 just to get an idea of the "lore" behind the World of Warcraft, never did get around to it

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I found Lionheart: "legacy of the crusader" to be very similar to diablo 2, maybe a little less button mashing and a little more storyline/"go fetch" quest oriented than Diablo 2. Indentical controls for the pc afaik.

Not sure what BG2 on the ps is like but on the PC theres quite a bit of storyline in there, if he could take that he could stand lionheart I should think.

Another idea might be to try going retro and getting Diablo 1? Even more button mashing than D2! :D Its a little less pretty but not all that much worse than D2 imo.

Arnie 2Tone

Fledgling Freddie
Doesn't he already have a copy of Dark Alliance 2? I'm sure I saw one in the pile of PS2 games...

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Titan Quest (+addon now) is basically diablo 3 by another name. same view, same control system, same class system, same everything basically.

think diablo 2, in mythology, with newer gfx

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Dungeon Seige 1 or 2 are fairly close to Diablo. You get to play as a party of player + NPCs. You can play as any of the NPCs & if your main character Karks it you can revive him usingh an NPC with the right spell. Its as close to Diablo as you can get...just more characters to play with. Oh you also get a Donkey to carry more stuff around with.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
currently playing Baldurs Gate 2 : Throne of Bhaal and Shadows of Amn.

Worthit if he is a fan of this genre.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Buy a megadrive with Golden axe!

He'll love it!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Dungeon Siege is the closest he will get to Diablo. I went from Diablo 2 to dungeon siege myself, it's the same drug.

rynnor

Rockhound
Titan Quest (+addon now) is basically diablo 3 by another name. same view, same control system, same class system, same everything basically.

think diablo 2, in mythology, with newer gfx

Aye you wont go wrong with Titan Quest - it is Diablo2 does greece - no more no less :)

Damini

Part of the furniture
I have got him Dungeon Seige AND Titan Quest. That should take him through to 2009 :)

Cheers guys! You are the bestest.

Vae

Resident Freddy
A bit late now but I'd say Hellgate: London is rather like Diablo but in 3D. It's the same hack slash hundreds on monsters etc which imo gets a bit dull after a while but it may be worth a look. It has a lot of the things diablo had as well like randomly generated levels, the ability to keep rerunning the dungeon (well Lond I suppose) but seems to lack a certain je ne sais pas in comparison. I loved diablo, thought diablo 2 was ok but although I'm playing hellgate i'm playign it more to complete it rather than from a sense of particular fun.

Mabs

A bit late now but I'd say Hellgate: London is rather like Diablo but in 3D. It's the same hack slash hundreds on monsters etc which imo gets a bit dull after a while but it may be worth a look. It has a lot of the things diablo had as well like randomly generated levels, the ability to keep rerunning the dungeon (well Lond I suppose) but seems to lack a certain je ne sais pas in comparison. I loved diablo, thought diablo 2 was ok but although I'm playing hellgate i'm playign it more to complete it rather than from a sense of particular fun.

hellgate is made by some/most of the Diablo 2 crew, thats why it is a clone ;)

tho personally i cant abide it, it has ingame adverts, and you have to pay a subscription to get "uber" multiplayer service. so be warned :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I love Hellgate London. You don't have to subscribe. It's still ace (though buggy atm.) It is 3D though which might be a drawback.

Even more like D2 is Mythos, by the same people (ish) again. I've been on the Beta for ages and have a tonne of free invites to the game, which is free anyway.

The best D2 game though is still D2. I still have 7 chars on Battle.net struggling through Hell mode :)

(If anyone else wants a Mythos invite then reply, don't PM or it''l fill up :))

Mabs

I love Hellgate London. You don't have to subscribe. It's still ace (though buggy atm.) It is 3D though which might be a drawback.

Even more like D2 is Mythos, by the same people (ish) again. I've been on the Beta for ages and have a tonne of free invites to the game, which is free anyway.

The best D2 game though is still D2. I still have 7 chars on Battle.net struggling through Hell mode :)

(If anyone else wants a Mythos invite then reply, don't PM or it''l fill up :))
yeah sorry if that read wrong
you can multiplayer fine

what , i *think* the sub gets you is :
no queues
the 3rd difficulty unlocked

and im interested in Mythos :D

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Don't know if it's too late or not but Loki and Silverfall are both hack 'n' slash and are *alright* if you like that sort of thing. Also Avencast is quite nice, but uses beat 'em up style key combos for spellcasting - different but worth a look.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
I've tried most of the mentioned D2 clones, and I think Titan Quest had the best "feel" to it. It's less "questy" (there are quest but they're quite simple and something you'd do "on the way" anyway just like in D2) and more "slashy" than many of the others, and i've caught myself missing playing it. Might have to reinstall it soon and give it another whirl. :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
What I found was lacking in Dungeon Seige was the character builds. They didn't vary like D2s did.

Hammerdin <> Zealer <> Avenger <> Smiter <> Charger

And Hell mode is still dangerous even with a great char of appropriate level. The wrong monsters spawn with the wrong mods and you need to RUUUUUUN !!

/edit: I need email addresses for Mythos invites :)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
stick me in for a mythos invite Wij

do i need to fill you up (PM trhat is) with email?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yeh - good point. You need to gve me an email address so PM me. If it fills up then meh :)

Mey

Part of the furniture
Cheers for the invite matey, downloading now. How do we spam you with questions if we get stuck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom