Need help with scout

D

dabearzor

So, I started scout, he's level 17 now, got alot of Spec points, and need a good tempolate for a scout,

I heard you should max LB until 39, then max Stealth to 50, how much thrust? how much shield? 42?

Thanks, BTW - I chose a Briton, cause I think the effect of being a sacrcen is minor, and you lose hp as a sacrcen...

A

Arlone

havn't got a clue if you'll have enough points for this, but I would try something like...

40-50 Longbow (as much as possible for most damage of course)
38-39 stealth (this will be equivalent to 50 stealth as you have +stealth items and + from realmlevels)
42 shield (a must for any scout)
If there is anything left, thrust.

I dunno for sure, but going 50 stealth seems like a real waste of points and you will probably want a bit more than 39 LB.

X

Xandax

I wouldn't take stealth to 50 with an archer, and especially not now with the See Hidden ability comming to the assassians.
I doubt I would take it to 39 -but that is what most people take stealth to due to the +11 bonus possible from items at level 50

D

DocWolfe

my scout is

15 thrust
39 stealth
48 longbow
42 sheild

upto you though

18 thrust
35 stealth
50 longbow
42 sheild

looks good to me as well :p

D

DocWolfe

actually archer classes are getting camoflage ability in 1.52, so to make it as effective as possible I would recomend having high stealth. I can stealth right infront of a caster whos trying to bolt me, only to find that their "target is no longer here". Also when getting past a group of attackers at a keep to defend it... it comes in very handy.

O

old.LandShark

Why spec for 1.52? As soon as you get camo, you also get a respec. Go 50LB/42Shield/30stealth/Rest thrust or similar, since unlike a minstrel or assassin you don't need to be stealthed right on top of people. When we get 1.52 you can respec some LB away and raise thrust, if you feel you need to.

E

Eleasias

29 slash
42 shield
44 bow
rest stealth

cant believe I'm giving spec advice to albs *again* :/

D

DocWolfe

with my 15 thrust I soloed a orange thane :p so kiss me

O

old.Mitsu

I'm going:

46 longbow
42 shield
29 slash
33 stealth or whatever is left

You still hit for 1000+ damage without giving up melee :)

S

SFXman

Originally posted by old.Docwolfe
actually archer classes are getting camoflage ability in 1.52
Which is not going to be the most useful skill ever, see hidden would still be miles better :rolleyes:
I mean, 10 minute timer on it, as in 10 minutes after the last battle.

D

DocWolfe

who needs melee when you can nuke with your arrows! if you get paed slam and run!

S

Smartypants

The longbow is of course the main thing for a scout. Dex is the attribute that determines how hard you hit with your bow, so you want that as high as possible. Slash is determined by strength so you really can't have both. Thrust, on the other hand is determined by both dex and str, so a Briton scout might be a good choice. And also: a scout gets Evade and think dex determines how much you actually evade, and thrust has several styles that are dependant on evade (slash has none, I think). So it all kind of fits together... :) You want high dex, high longbow and go for thrust.

Stealth is important, but I think 36 or something at level 50 should be enough. With items that will give you something close to 50, which means a non-stealther needs to be pretty close to see you.

Now this thing with the shield... Slam at level 42 sounds good. Whack them and run or take out your bow and finish them off. But... It's a long way to level 42 and you won't have anything as good as slam before that. And with thrust so low, you will hit like crap in melee. Or rather it will vary up and down, like a yo-yo... I'm not going to do melee, I'm a scout, you say. Well, in PvE you will probably have to do a LOT of soloing (no groups wants a scout... :( ), and that means that you will most likely do quite a lot of melee. Or quite a lot of running... :rolleyes: My thrust-level has saved my butt a few times in PvE.
And should I end up in melee in RvR it can save me too. I looks a bit funny when a stealther (or a melee class, even though it most likely means I'm toast...) attacks me and I do F8, /stick, and start cranking out my thrust styles. They get a bit confused and a lot start running, so I get out my bow and shoot them in the back...:cool:

But of course the bow is all important for a scout. Keep your distance and have a reasonably good stealth.

Uh, well anyway, in spite of everyone going on about the shield, I'm going to try this:

around 50 in LB
36 in stealth
44 in thrust (gives a long duration snare style)
rest (about 13) in shield.

K

krait

The only way to go as mentioned by others above is :-

Shield.....42 (slam)
Slash......29 (Amethyst Slash)

The rest can be split between LB and stealth,with LB at a minimum of 43.

The only time you will probably use your sword in RvR is if you do'nt have enough endurance to slam and run from an assassin,in which case slash has bonuses against leather..............Thank god for Respec (when it gets here) ;)

J

j000 d000d

the best scout spec is:

40 Longbow
35 Stealth
42 Shield
29+ Slash

Each +1 Longbow above 50 skill adds 3 damage, thats nothing and useless to waste your spec points in, dont need 50 longbow

T

Tafaya Anathas

I agree with Teador with a little difference, my scout will look like this after the respec patch:

42 Longbow
38 Stealth
42 Shield
29 Slash

S

SFXman

Yeah, good templates given the two posts above this... I think that will be my scout after respec aswell. Either one.

S

Smartypants

Hmmm SFXman, I guess you want high dex for the bow. That means your strength won't be very high. So I would think that the bonus for slash on leather (which is a whopping 5% I think) would be negated by the lack of strength... Or?

B

blaien Kayy

Final Template for my scout is

Bow 50
Thrust 21
Shield 42
Stealth 33

As for scouts not using mele the amount of times ive seen quite high lvl scouts run from yellows after missing critical is frightning.With a few points in thrust or slash even with only 2 normal bow shots these mobs can be finished off.IMO neglecting mele isnt a good option.To be honest i wish now i'd put more points into mele than stealth but hey i can change that soon.

F

Flimgoblin

My highlander gimpscout is going for:

44 thrust
44 bow
42 shield
13 stealth (leftovers.. might hit 15 or something if autotrain gets me some points)

or possibly

50 thrust
39 bow
42 shield
6 stealth

O

old.Wicoa

Lots of discussion for slas here.

Personally I prefer thrust to attack chain wearers with.

If an assassin catches you you're dead in the water anyway slash aint gonna help much.

My end spec is 42 shield, 48 or 50 longbow, 33 or 36 stealth and 21 thrust.

In PvE solo my shield has saved me more times than I can remember infact I use it more in pve than in rvr, also tanks/healers like it when you can guard for them therefore there's more chance of getting a group next time. Slam is so useful I can't tell you.

When I first started out I took thrust to about 15, maxed long bow. Then I put drips and drabs into stealth and shield.

My advice is spec what you like in what you want...........but be wary of not making too much of a gimp (unless you actually want to) cause in rvr you won't have too much fun.

I will say this, the higher the shield the higher the chances of blocking an assassins chain therefore sodding it up. Get a dot proc (or slam) on him so he can't re stealth then run and bow him to death. With melee an assassin will out do you cause thats essentially what he is built to do if you have low blocking capability then you will die easily........a shield specced scout may drop quick too but at least with slam he can buy some time.

See ya
Wic

S

Smartypants

Hmm good post, Wicoa... But that part about assassins in melee... In Thidranki I managed twice to take out a yellow con assassin in melee. First time was pure melee, didn't use my bow at all. He must have missed his CS or something. My thrust styles hammered him down pretty quick :)
Second time I managed to get off one single normal shot, then he was on me. When he was down to 50% HP the poor sod tried to run away...

Not sure I want to run around with crap melee skills, all the way up to level 42. And as Kayy noted, a lot of scouts start running if they miss the crit shot on a yellow mob. I don't. I can take down a yellow con mob with 50-60% HP left in melee. But that's a bit scary, I must admit... ;)

S

Smartypants

Ehm, just to prevent any misinterpretations...
I don't think scouts are melee gods, they should should try keep their butts out of melee, at all times, even... Very much so in RvR.
But... I don't want to wait all the way up to level 42, just to get one single shield style, that will suck up what little I have left of my endurance. Especially if it means I have to run every time I miss my crit shot...

O

old.Mitsu

Meleeing asassins as a scout is not completely hopeless if you avoid creeping death. Just run through them when you get PA'ed :)
I had a friendly duel with a nightshade last night and my average amethyst slash landed for 200-230 damage with the lvl 40 epic weapon. He was low yellow though :p

O

old.Arnor

Try deleting your scout and making something thats not in dire need of nerfing :p

K

kr0n

Cant see why Assassin would beat a scout... I mean...

Stupid scout stays still, making them miss PA is easy.
Slam, 2x norm = 800-1000 damage. ~100+ per slash move... Dead assassin ;(

It all comes down to luck/skills... But thats just the way cookie crumbles.

S

Smartypants

Nerfing? Bah... Any power the scout has, is paid for when you try to level the bugger...
"Level 25 scout LFG!" What a joke... :eek:

S

SFXman

Originally posted by kr0n
But thats just the way cookie crumbles.
Stole my line damnit ;)

But scouts are in need of no nerfing you dumb biatches. We have our problems one of which was just mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom