Need help installing a fan

S

StormriderX

Bought a fan from the pc shop to help cool my pc down so it stops crashing me out of games/giving my blue screen.

Anyway guy sait that to install it I would need to plug it into a spare power thing inside the pc and that if I couldn't I should piggy back it on the hard drive's power point thing. After I figured out what he meant I found that I can't remove the hard drives power cable (well didnt want to pull it too hard in case I broke something). So how do I remove the power cable from the hard drive?

Thanks for the help in advance.

X

xane

The power plugs on HDDs are notoriously hard to pull out, unfortunately you do have to give it a good pull and pray hard.

If the HDD is securely mounted in the case there should not be a problem.

You can try the power leads on the CD drive as well.

X

Xavier

or if you have any spare molex connectors (the white plugs which go into CDROM drives and harddiscs) coming from your PSU plug it into one of those instead.

Xav

S

StormriderX

Originally posted by xane
The power plugs on HDDs are notoriously hard to pull out, unfortunately you do have to give it a good pull and pray hard.

If the HDD is securely mounted in the case there should not be a problem.

You can try the power leads on the CD drive as well.

Ah ok thx was just worried bout breaking something if I pulled too hard so was kinda reluctant at first :x

S

StormriderX

Managed to get the fan working - couldn't attach it to the pci slots properly though so I stuck it in the bottom slot. Doesn't seem to have made any difference to pc temp - still crashes when I'm playing games. Any recommended fans that don't cost the earth? One I got was a £5 non branded one :x

W

wyrd_fish

was it one of them PCI jobs that looked like an old GForceFX cooler???

because there crap for cooling anything other than the ajacent PCI/AGP card

go for a case fan and think carefully about the airflow

D

Dr_Weasel

Are you sure its high temperatures that are causing your crashes? What temps are you running at under load?

Have you checked your ram out? run Memtest86 and make sure your ram is okay.

W

Wilier

Like Dr Weasel says, post up your tems and we can check them for you.

If it appears to be system temps that are high, try running with the case side off. If its your CPU thats hot, you may want to try and clean your HS&F combo, it could be all furred up with dust.

S

StormriderX

My Ram seems fine - pc only ever crashes when I run games.

Fan I got was something you slot in pci slot - was a HD 001 PC system air extractor made by akasa :x

Cut off point seems to be 64c which is what shows up on asus probe when I check it after I crash a game.

Apart from that I never crash. Sometimes blue screen suggests that it might be a bios/graphics driver problem.

To keep the pc cool enough so that it doesnt crash requires me to play with both sides of case off and to have my room fan blowing into it - if I forget to turn the fan on then I crash after a short while.

W

Will

Do you have any sort of PCI card in PCI slot 1 (the slot next to the AGP slot). Having anything there stops the gfx card being able to blow its own air away, which causes overheating when playing games. Moving your cards away will solve this.

S

StormriderX

Nothing next to agp slot - on board sound etc.

Msi geforce 4 ti4200 8x agp 128 mb ram if that makes a difference

Asus motherboard.

W

Will

If it is overheating, even with the side of your case off, something is seriously wrong, probably with the graphics card heatsink.

W

wyrd_fish

putting a fan on my old GF2, years back, really helped stability

K

kameleon

get a bigger heatsink and fan for your cpu and dont forget to peel the little plastic thing off

S

Sawtooth

sounds more like an overheating cpu to me. I'd reseat the cpu fan and put new thermal paste on it or get a new one.

S

StormriderX

I unscrewed the fan cover for the cpu and proceeded to clean all the crap off it (lots of dust). Works fine now :eek:

Starts at 40c and doesnt go past 56 so it runs just fine :eek:

Had a little trouble returning the £5 fan but managed in the end.

Thanks for all the help anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom