Need Broadband

O

old.Carl

I have a 56k modem and am quite happy with the pings I get, but I am not happy with the transfer rates, What Satellite providers are out there and which gives the best speed, I'm looking for around 50kb/sec dl rates at least.

Cheers

Carl

T

Testin da Cable

what's your location m8? do you really need an uplink?
have you considerd other options like DSL or cable?

as you might have guessed, i have a cable modem and it gives me speeds up to 300k dl. also, nowadays my ping to an average BW server is 35ms [thats across the channel ;)]

if you read some of the other threads in this forum, i expect you can gather the speeds DSL will give you.
over here in holland you can get DSL up to a maximum of 1Mbit/512Kbit. downstream and upstream that is.
that is a lot of bandwidth for a home-user and it's pretty expensive thanke to the monopoly that the providor has.

there are many options.

i trust others more knowlagable than lil me will also answer to enlighten you :)

-tdc

O

old.Carl

If i could get dsl / cable I wouldn't be posting this :) ISDN is too expensive and the only other option seems to be sattelite, we already have a dish with a universal lnb so we're half way there :)

O

old.xBaboon

a friend of mine is on sat connection with europe online. Its £10 a month, and there is no download limit (as with some). The thing with most of the (affordable) satellite connections tho, is that they dont support NNTP (ie newsgroups) although u can get news providers who give you a web pased interface, so its HTTP. Just connecting and downloading, u can expect download speeds of up to about 30-35k/sec, but i think it's capped. U can however to a queued download system, where u preset the files u want, and download them later at about 200k/sec (a bit like batchFTP if u ever used that, the isp gets it serverside, then transfers it to you).
It seems that you already know its download only (thank god :) ), so u still need that ol' 56k there. I've seen it being used, and its very nice, but just for the l33chers out there. can't remember if u said u have the pci card yet or not, but if u don't that can be up to another £200, and afaik it's an astra sat

anyway, check it out for yerself @ http://www.europeonline.com/index_en.html

hope it helps a bit ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom