Need a new game....

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Right, listen up.
Im currently living as a single man in the Shetlands for 2 weeks with work, then a happily married man with kids for a week on rotational basis. Some might call this the perfect scenario....I might agree (as long as my missus never reads this)

So I finish in the office at 5. Go for a ride for a couple of hours, shower, eat and relax then have 2-3hrs to myself in which time I piss about on my PC.
My current style of game is FPS, ARMA2 Wasteland is a favorite along with DAYZ SA and BF4 as well as online racing through iRacing. However, Im looking for a new challenge. Im not into RPG really, my eldest daughter (just turned 15 for anyone who remembers her being born back in the Barrysworld days??) loves things like City of Heros and Skyrim, but I struggle to get into them. Cant stand Minecraft and the like either.

Really looking for something which is a bit of a challenge. Not necessarily an FPS, just something a bit different. I thought about SimCity (whatever version is the latest) but I heard bad stuff about it. Sims3 doesnt really interest me either....

So come on, suggest something for a lonely man in the middle of feckin nowhere to be able;e to play.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
A challenge? Try Dark Souls.

Just make sure you use a controller and the dsfix mod.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Sins of a Solar empire is good if you like your space RTS games
Borderlands 2 - FPS come RPG come diablo style collect-em-up - been playing it a fair bit lately and really enjoying it. - Not really much of a challenge though.
Civ 5, not the best of the series but still pretty good.
As mentioned (Though I haven't played it) Darksouls 1 and 2
There are various games on steam that could keep you happy for a short to medium time, FTL, Hotline Miami, Amnesia etc

Exioce

Part of the furniture
I just keep returning to Minecraft. Attempting to kill the dragon in a hardcore game is a challenge!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Dota 2, free so easy to try out if it's your cup of tea. Same goes for Warframe.
Dark Souls is cheap(now that 2 is out) as welll as what ECA said.
If Skyrim didn't fancy you, might be about lore so that's where fallout 3 & fallout new vegas might work(same games tyle, different lore). Google Fallout nexus for modding needs, can tune and tweak those games quite a bit.
Xcom is good also, strategy and it's near enough the old xcom games. Addons aren't necessary, but it does add to the experience.
On the free games front hearthstone might work too if you like mtg style games and mighty quest for epic loot can be fun. Also for a -more- diablo lke experience path of exile is arguaby a better and free diablo.

There's a few at least. Key element these days is that you probably don't have to spend any money on gaming, with so many free to plays and many of them enjoyable with no cash involvement.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hey @.Wilier.

Planetside 2 might fit, Team Fortress 2.

Definitely hit the free to play stuff up dude. Steam has an entire dedicated category.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Cheers for the replies gents, if I ever get back to work (been stuck in Aberdeen since 8am Monday) I'll take a look through steam, see what I can find.
:)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
You could of course resume playing "FreddysHouse Forums" as well you know, the game never ends ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You could of course resume playing "FreddysHouse Forums" as well you know, the game never ends ;)

The mod class is still OP, can't fight them with a rage specced troll class :(

Not to mention that the female class is still only open to people with pre-birth orders.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Well as luck would have it, current "Massive American Oil Company"s interweb access is a tad looser than the previous "not quite so big, but still huge American Oil Company)s ever was....so Freddys is no longer blocked during work hours!

Result!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
If it's a challenge you want there's always Super Meat Boy....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
FTL old bean. Turn off the advanced edition content and have a blast and win it.

Then turn it on and win it again :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
The mod class is still OP, can't fight them with a rage specced troll class :(
As described in the FAQ that bug is and will remain set to "wontfix"
Not to mention that the female class is still only open to people with pre-birth orders.
Not our fault you missed the kickstarter!

leggy

Probably Scottish
I, like you, used to love the FPS... now I can't play them. So my recommendations (based on what I've loved the most):

Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City (Both probably cheap as fuck these days). I was sceptical until I played them and literally became Batman. Read that how you will.
XCOM Enemy Unknown (as Toht says .. truly epic).
Skyrim (I know you said you hate RPGs and I generally hate them too but this game has to be played at least once. I gave myself a challenge by choosing a class I'd never usually enjoy. Seems silly in hindsight but I chose to be a Destruction Mage and basically made the game an FPS ...but the POWER....THE POWER!!!).

Anyway .. good to see you post again :)

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Recently played through Splinter Cell Blacklist, the Single Player is fun, though I would imagine you would need to turn up the difficulty to get the challenge you require. The challenge maps are fun, some are surviving waves of enemies and having to capture HVT's on certain waves. Other maps require you to do certain things without being seen.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Yeh Planetside 2 is a great shout, so much game for nothing. Its a bit of a hefty download though (iirc; the latest update was like 10~gig?_ so only really worth it if you have a good connection.

Dark Souls 2 has been mentioned and is great but you need a gamepad and its very dark fantasy so if you aren't into RPG's may not be your cuppa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom