Necros, duels, power transfer - legit?

G

granny

OK here's the scenario - XP group fighting purple-con mobs, necromancer in group. Necro has very hard time landing power-tap on the mobs due to their high con. Therefore cannot get mana fast enough to provide (for example) group's ice-wizzies with the mana they need.

If said necro duels someone else in the group they can tap them for mana which they can then distribute to the rest of the group with power transfer. The beauty of this method is that necro's are unaffected by the "duelling within group only allows 1 hit to be landed" effect - necro can repeatedly power-tap the person they're duelling whilst both are grouped.

Would this be considered a bug-exploit or is it a legitimate tactic?

C

cHodAX

It sits of the border of legit and cheat, if there were nearby mobs that you could power tap that would be fine but the duel part is an exploitation of the duel system. That said, you are entitled to duel at anytime and if the side effect of that is extra power then that is fine but you aren't having a proper duel so who knows :)

G

granny

I've rightnow'd it. Let's see if GOA can decide. Or answer :p

O

old.Plebo

If the Necro didn't do this, then there is no reason whatsoever for a Necro to go on high level raids as they would be totally useless....which isn't really much fun for the player.

I don't really see it as exploitation of a bug, but the fact the Necromancer needs to resort to doing this in the first place is more the problem that needs sorting out.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

I noticed this when I was PLing an alt at the white lights. The nice thing is that when you are power tapping another player you tend to get back 2x or more their level.

i.e. The alt was level 32 and each power tap was giving me around 73 power back. ...which was nice.

Nobody was able to tell me whether or not this was a bug/exploit though so I just assumed it was 'working as intended' until told otherwise.

S

stroopwafel

can necros do something else than exploiting? :\

G

granny

Originally posted by stroopwafel

For that retarted post you join my list of ignored posters :p

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

It hasn't actually been established that this IS exploiting, doofus. ;)

B

bigchief

Originally posted by Sissyfoo
I noticed this when I was PLing an alt at the white lights. The nice thing is that when you are power tapping another player you tend to get back 2x or more their level.

i.e. The alt was level 32 and each power tap was giving me around 73 power back. ...which was nice.

Nobody was able to tell me whether or not this was a bug/exploit though so I just assumed it was 'working as intended' until told otherwise.

Against players necros always get cap power back from a drain. So in RvR/duels etc you can get a full bar of power off basically 3 nukes.

and..

OK here's the scenario - XP group fighting purple-con mobs, necromancer in group. Necro has very hard time landing power-tap on the mobs due to their high con. Therefore cannot get mana fast enough to provide (for example) group's ice-wizzies with the mana they need.

Its not just the drains. Pretty much every spell in the sight line (which 99% of necros go down .. says something about the class in itself) has insane resists against anything above an orange, and sometimes even yellows :p The lvl50 base spell is a lifedrain, then in the spec line youve got the lifetap and the powerdrain. Against purple con mobs, especially epic mobs this is 99% resist teritory. A simple example is the tower keeper in dales. Only a red con pop and had 16/19 spells resisted. You can guess the outcome :p Even the lvl50 spec spell which is just a debuff suffers from these insane resists. In sidi it may be cast 20 times before it lands and against the key mobs you can spam the debuff for a full power bar, then use mcl and spam it again and have nothing land. Necros spec to 50sight for this spell (me included) :(

In these situations the only useful thing that can be done is provide power to clerics/theurgs/sorc whatever .. though 3 transfers and the necros near enough oop. I believe the duel system is fully valid myself, im not sure about the no need to ungroup part but the concept in itself I see no problem with. If youre fighting one mob who you cannot land a spell on ever there should at least be one thing to fall back on imo.

D

Draylor

Originally posted by Sissyfoo
the alt was level 32 and each power tap was giving me around 73 power back. ...which was nice.
Ah, your just getting confused by the PvE powertap nerf ;)

The powertap was originally (SI beta) intended to return a %age of dmg done as power - in the same way as the necros lifetaps do. This was (correctly) decided to be overpowered in PvE, so was capped at mob level.

In RvR this cap does not apply (duels are following RvR rules) so its much more convenient to use 1 or 2 powertaps to fill up again.

You could exploit this pre-1.60 since the killing blow with powertap was not capped. But as has become traditional with necromancers this bug was fixed, whereas the bugs that make the class a nightmare to play (other than for PLing) have been left alone.

Bigchief: Im surprised you see problems landing the 50 spec AF debuff in Sidi. Ive had my necro through there quite a few times now (10 maybe) and have no real problem landing it on most mobs. So far Apoc has resisted it every time - but thats only to be expected :)

S

stroopwafel

Originally posted by granny
For that retarted post you join my list of ignored posters :p

every necro exploited los
and now they found some new exploit
they took away all the fun in keepraids/defense as a mid
imo all necros are PLwhoring retards

but you cant read this ehehehe!

N

Nightchill

this method (necro duelling for constant power) is how albs killed the GS with 1fg :)

edit: fine, fine, not *every* time

T

Talen

Not really nightchill, I have been to 2 out of 2 successful GS raids with najwa/yussef etc and we had no need to use the necro-powertap-duel to kill it :O

N

Nonnier

i admit, the los bug was a tad annoying, but imo this is a bit of a innocent bug, and seeing as a necro can do sod all in big fights unless they have alot of power potions, if it is a bug then its not the same battle winner bug then the los was.

not all necros are retards, in saying that ur proving to the world that ur a retard.

S

stroopwafel

it would hurt my feelings if you were not a bonedancer

and please flame me in a personal thread

O

old.Morchaoron

If mythic thinks its legit to fuck up sidi everytime then i think its legit to transfer power in duels

J

Jonaldo

hey Morchaoron isn't it about time you did another one of your funny comic screenshot things? :p

O

old.TeaSpoon

Woohoo! Generalisations!
\o/

N

Nonnier

it would hurt my feelings if you were not a bonedancer

and please flame me in a personal thread

i just pointed out that (as usual) u just insulted a whole class without actually knowing the facts

if it is a bug, fine....but its just as bad as the enchanter pet bug that was roaming about.

and as people have said over and over again, don't generalise. Just because theres a possable bug doesn't mean that when a necro wakes up in the mourning, he doesn't automatically think "theres a new bug on DAOC, i know...as stoopwafal said that all necros are necros are PLwhoring retards i should jump on this bug and use it"

i could say that pallys just slam and chant, but seeing as i haven't played the class....i have no idea if this is true.

likewise with sorcerer's, i could say that they all just have QC and mez on their QB, but i know thats just stupid.

by calling necros retards, ur are demostrating the fact that u are the retard, because you fail to see the facts, there are some necros who have been pled, like all classes. But most of em are good players that worked hard to get their 50.

btw, i did not get pled as a BD, so don't even mention that

C

Cstasy

Originally posted by Nightchill
this method (necro duelling for constant power) is how albs killed the GS with 1fg :)

I did it in a fg without a necro ^^

S

stroopwafel

Originally posted by Reinnon/Nonnier
i could say that pallys just slam and chant

they do

by calling necros retards, ur are demostrating the fact that u are the retard, because you fail to see the facts

maybe i am, but it pissed me off to see another bug being "abused" by necros

there are some necros who have been pled, like all classes. But most of em are good players that worked hard to get their 50

haha....

btw, i did not get pled as a BD, so don't even mention that [/B]

read again....

flame me on irc or something and lets not screw this topic anymore

ontopic: i just dont like all these "exploits"
but a necro is useless in sidi then? well why do you want a 50 necro with sidi stuff anyway, nobody does rvr with a necro (only bigchief sometimes :p) and nobody sure as hell wants a necro in their rvr group

i guess i got owned too many times through a wall and its probably mythic who are the "retards" to make such a bugged class :\

N

-Nxs-

An even more retarded reply.

G

granny

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.
We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you
within 48 hours.
Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Necromancer duelling bug abuse or not?

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (CS) - 09/12/2003 11:51 AM
Greetings,

This reply has been severely delayed by the recent events, which we have talked about in the news of late. We apologize for this.

Dueling necromancers to gain mana is not considered bug abuse. While it is doubtful that it was originally intended per design, it is an accepted way to use the abilities of the class.

Yours sincerely,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

G

Graknak

Good, altough it isn't the real problem. the real problem is is that resists on high lvl mobs this patch are currently higher then normal and thus making it hard to land any spells. This so called bug on the resists will get fixed next patch.

A

amuse

Ive never exploited a necro bug (exept once, the gatekeeper bug to suicide). so dont say all necros are bug exploiters!! and some of us exploit bug, but look at it this way.. we have far MORE bugs that harms us than makes us bether!

as far as PLing, i used a loong time to get my necro to 50. u grped loads etc. i played it couse i found it a FUN class, not becouse i wanted a lvl 50 asap, and i know of many necros that is like this... AND i made mine b4 it became the fotm class in alb, i just dinged 50 after.

SO BUSS OFF!!

O

old.windforce

Originally posted by Nightchill

been on 10 succesfol raids with 1 fg and there was NEVER a necro present

O

old.Bubble

i don't see this as an exploit...

just a way i guess of necros being usefull to a group

remember they would have to lifetap a pet in order to get the mana

oh if someone thinks this is exploiting....think about buffbots :) same sorta thing

A

amuse

Originally posted by old.Bubble
i don't see this as an exploit...

just a way i guess of necros being usefull to a group

remember they would have to lifetap a pet in order to get the mana

oh if someone thinks this is exploiting....think about buffbots :) same sorta thing

Buff bots aint the same... i think of it as : A second account becouse ur curent one is full of chars, where u have a cleric alt with full enhancements spec ;) hence my BBs name: Clericaltwith FULLenhancementsSPEC ;)

but it aint a exploit

Users who are viewing this thread