necro woes

O

old.Wildfire

DAMMIT just wrote a really long, well-written, PROPPA INGLISH post on the Crypt of Albion forums, only for the fricken EZBoard to not recognise my login that I had set up minutes earlier to use... GG.

Anyway, long or short, my points were these.

1) Necros look (from pics and video footage) and sound (from forums and mythic's class description) like a re-hashed cabalist with powertaps/transfers instead of lifetaps/transfers.
2) Disappointed that necros dont seem to have insta-cc, as this would be a good opportunity for mythic to patch holes in each realm's ability pool (read: fix albion's lack of cc ffs mythic n00bs)
3) General moaning about how Animists and Bonedancers look like original, new ideas (multiple pets, turret pets e.t.c.) while the necro seems like a re-hash as mentioned above.
4) Raised a point about "would you trust a simulacrum to cast all your spells for you?" because lets face it, pet AI currently sucks, they warp all over the place and generally make your life hell by aggroing left right and centre in PvE.

Any comments? Not really expecting any but hey I didn't want to have wasted 30 mins of my time typing the original post and not to get ANY feedback on my thoughts at all.

<sulking>

L

Lusse

:(

Hate when that happens... but mate, why didnt you just use alt-leftarrow and went back a page, copied the text you had wrote down and just pasted it in later when you logged in again?

at least thats what i do whenever that happens to me.

But about your thoughts... it does sound cheesy. And I do hope they give him some kind of CC thats compatible with the sorcs to give albion more CC.

F

Flimgoblin

It would probably result in a post from Olivia saying:
"You are so so wrong, but I can't tell you how because of the NDA" :)

All reports have them as being noticeably different from cabalists, one quote was "Like a caster but without the difficulties that plague current casters... they have their own difficulties of course."

so maybe no interrupts for necros? that kind of thing.

The insta-CC is funny :) if that's going anywhere it should be going on the Sorceror.

J

Jiggs

argh the old i forgot to copy my post before i hit submit!

anyways i think we have to wait and see, but i understand the 'its a new albion class so mythic will make it pants' syndrome :)

curious to see what this class is going to bring to a alb group, will we be outside the apk yelling 'group looking for nerco'??? or will they be shunned?

V

Vasconcelos

Totally agree with Wildfire.

And wot about Ravers?? They seem like a copycat of a champion: a semitank with buffs/debuffs

T

talen_sun

And I always thought Ravers were in clubs shouting "Raver looking for E's..."

J

Jiggs

/y group looking for speed our ravers are comming down

*boogles

reaver u mean

O

old.Prof

When first reports about SI leaked in Middies were whining because their new race "looked like a streched-out chimp" (only based on reports, no piccies available back then) and the classes sounded so unoriginal.

When first screenshots appeared about SI hibbies were whining because their new race "looked fucking ugly" (ok - they were right about that :p).

Now Albs are crying their new classes are gimped and unoriginal even before they've actually played them. Hell we don't even know what they exactly do !

Think it's a bit premature to make any statements about balance issues or even originality ...

O

old.Wildfire

@ Abelardus - ARGH. No I haven't played the class, but as I said before, I've watched video footage, I've read what people have said on forums, I've read mythic's (probably rubbish) class description. After doing all that, the class is pretty clear to see, although the details are still not "officially" known.

Am I crying? no. Am I saying the class is gimped? no. So kindly take your oh-so-helpful comments elsewhere. kthx.

Balance issues? The balance issues already exist, SI is a big opportunity for mythic to plug holes in the game's balance, and it appears from what can be seen so far that they're not taking the opportunity.

Why is it too early? The information about the class is there if you just go out and look for it...

edit: yes the sylvan race looks naff :) whereas inconnu look r0x0r :D

O

old.Ramas

My understanding was that necro pets are under your direct control - rather than the simple attack/don't attack system that cabbies have to put up with.

I may be wrong of course.

Entirely fair to suggest, however, that cabbies and SMs do seem a little thin by comparison.

My main concern is that we still don't have a chain wearing class that can spec pure CC, and/or get instas.

Giving insta cc to the necro wouldn't help while it wears a robe. But who knows, one/some of the necro pets could be cc pets.

The Reaver troubles me on a different level, specifically its a hybrid. Practically all hybrid's in DAoC suck, it's seems to be a part of the vision.

- Mids get a pure caster and pure melee.
- Hibs get a pure caster and pure melee that relies on spells rather than equipment.
- Albs seem to get a thing-we-aren't-sure-what-it-is and a hybrid.

This doesn't look too great, but as others have said, it might just all work out and show us to be worrying about nothing - guess we'll have to see.

Theurg's are going to hate the idea of Animists having RvR optimised pets mind you.

F

Flimgoblin

Presumably you can still aoe mezz the turrets ;) (or run away..) so I doubt the animist pets will be much better than theurgist pets for RvR :)

in certain situations superb... :) much like the theurg pets...

O

old.Ramas

Mostly I see the animist pets being good for 2 things...

Turrets for wall/keep door ambushes (turrets behind the door on either side, enemy walks through - nuked to hell. It's also worth remembering that as it stands today *any* NPC is able to ignore LoS due to LoS calculation not being possible on server controlled mobiles. If an animist can build multiple self-aiming nuking turrets which can shoot through walls, there will be problems. Obviously.

AoE heal pets would be bloody useful for sieges/kerg work. Primary healing classes have been wanting an AoE heal for months - seems hibs are going to get it.

But yes, I suspect you are right about the aoe 'bomber' pets and their vulnerability to mez.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Necros do sound a little bit too much like Cabbies for my liking. When I first heard about them I thought that they would be able to charm the undead, much like sorcs and mincers. Shame they will be like Cabby pets instead...oh well.

Anyhoo, no use crying about how lame they are going to be until we see some spell lines and see how they can be specced. They may turn out to be mega-uber ... good or they may suck like a 10 penny hooker.

O

old.Odysseus

It's also worth remembering that as it stands today *any* NPC is able to ignore LoS due to LoS calculation not being possible on server controlled mobiles.
And that truly blows.
Besides, it really is NOT that hard to implement LOS-checks. Tried it, took me 15-30 minutes in a Half-Life mod.
Takes some CPU-time which is prolly why they didnt do it (that, or Mythic's programmers are just incompetent).

J

Jiggs

hey you forgot that Shrouded Isles is a new engine??

well perhaps this is sorted out by then.

tbh i think the nerco will be slightly overpowered in the sense that as i understand it the nerco toon itself is completely invulnerable while in pet-mode.

and is there the possibility that u just park your self at apk and wander off in pet form?

and will enemy get rp for killing your pet-form?

O

old.Wildfire

From what I've seen the necro tows its pet around in the same fashion as a cabalist/enchanter/spiritmaster. Staying at APK and going off with the pet is not an option, as has been discussed many times over on VN, crypt of albion e.t.c. forums. As far as I can tell, you do not control the pet. You control the shade and command the pet, same as usual :rolleyes:

O

old.Ramas

When first screenshots appeared about SI hibbies were whining because their new race "looked fucking ugly"

Never understood why hibs were complaining about that. I mean, you would think they'd spot the pattern by now....

Celts = Quite ugly
Elfs = ugly
Lurikeens = very ugly
Firbolgs = ugliest being in DAoC

So the fifth race is ugly? I mean, who knew?

hey you forgot that Shrouded Isles is a new engine??

well perhaps this [Pet LoS] is sorted out by then.

Unfortunately the engine is merely a graphics engine client change.

The NPC/pet control/AI is happening server side, the server processes that control mobs have no LoS check capability at this time so unfortunately, it wouldn't help :( .

From what I've seen the necro tows its pet around in the same fashion as a cabalist/enchanter/spiritmaster.

Bah.

Are we sure that spells *cast-through-the-pet* are actually triggered by pet AI though? As opposed to you hitting a quickbar icon, and the pet waving it's arms around to cast?

O

old.Second

Originally posted by old.Wildfire
From what I've seen the necro tows its pet around in the same fashion as a cabalist/enchanter/spiritmaster. Staying at APK and going off with the pet is not an option, as has been discussed many times over on VN, crypt of albion e.t.c. forums. As far as I can tell, you do not control the pet. You control the shade and command the pet, same as usual :rolleyes:

what if u park ur pet at apk and then runs around in shade mode? invincible unless someone zerg the apk and kills the pet=)

A

alithiel50

I wonder if there's going to be a max range the shade can travel from the pet.... If not, then you have an invincible spybot to camp at a BK to let your group know as and when the enemy leaves! :p

O

old.Wildfire

...beat me to it ali, that point has already been discussed many times over on other forums and I believe a mythic programmer (so-called), posted to confirm that pet and shade will indeed both be linked and not be able to travel independantly.

J

Jiggs

ok i read that thread on the crypt site now.

the biggest issue seem to be the healing of the pet: no one has yet answered if you (the shade) heal the pet or the pet actually casts the heal on itself.

ok if its the former its a sweet pet: i mean imagine a invulnerable caster healing his pet, no aggro PvE and no way to hit the caster in RvR, thats uber.

it being an alb class tho i bet its the crap second possibilty :(

OT bit:

You're right about SI being a good chance for realm balance to be tweaked. What would everone like to see?

Personally I'd like theurgist to get matter pbaoe in earth spec and sorcerer's lev 30 body root to be insta.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Yea but...Cabby and theurg pets are all several levels below the caster. If the same goes for Necro pet then it will suck! e.g. A level 50 Necro would have a pet that conned yellow to a level 44 enemy which ain't all that good, especially when you kick the crap out of the pet and the Necro re-appears with bugger all health and unable to run away.

Hopefully, the Necro pet will be the same level as the caster...

O

old.Wildfire

What I was really referring to jiggs was that mythic could have gone down the route of putting abilities that each realm is lacking in, on the new classes - thus balancing the situation without getting anyone's back up by changing existing classes.

O

old.LandShark

Agree WF, I'm currently thinking that mythic just sat round a table, said "right, let's design some new classes. What'd be cool?"
rather than trying to fix any balance issues via the new stuff.
Got to wonder sometimes, if they even know how unbalanced the realms arae. :rolleyes:
I don't really think that cramming all the stuff albion lacks, onto the necro, would make it much of a fun class to play... would also clearly be dodgy from a roleplay perspective.
They really haven't been that inventive with it if you ask me. Necro could have had so much original stuff... 20sec pulsing spellturn? Lifetap-DoTs? Charming the undead etc? But no, we get some freak spiritmaster with power transfer....
Ack well, mustn't be a negative nancy about SI before it's even out.. =)

K

Kagato.

Lets face it, mythics aproach to balancing so far has just been to nerf one class or fiddle with Realm Abilities for another, which doesn't solve the fundamental problems with the class in the first place.

Albion needs some sort of instant CC, simple as that.

O

old.LandShark

Making all instaCC much lower range (say 750) would also do it, imho....
InstaCC should never have been in the game in the first place :/

J

Jiggs

Well ranged insta mezz anyways.

Insta should really be defensive 'get out of jail' spells.

Not the overpowered offense they are atm.

Users who are viewing this thread