Necro help?

D

Danamyr

Hello guys ;)

After finally getting SI registered at 5am Sunday morning I decided to have a go at rolling a Necro last night.

One of my Guildies suggested speccing 15 Int/10 Dex which I did, and concentrated on the Death Sight line.

My Necro is Lvl 5, and I guess I really need some advice on how to play as I've never played a pet class before (ignoring my Minstrel as I rarely charmed).

I understand that I must use the maximum range of my pet, and if I stack a few spells he will keep casting rather than melee until the mob melees him.

So far, so good.

However, while I can solo yellows nicely, I struggle completely with oranges.

My pet gets 3-4 life drains off before the mob melees him. Obviously he cannot cast while in melee, and irritatingly, I cannot cast other than through my pet.

How should I be doing it?

I think having played a Necro for 4 hours or so, they are a great class - a lot of fun. I am looking forward to playing her tonight, although that said, I doubt I'll match the levelling prowess of Fetid (Wildfire) who I saw outside Cats yesterday at Lvl 30! That is some going :)

TIA :)

A

Adralend

at lvl 2 you should get a lifeleech spell that you can cast yourself, though it says it's through the pet, but the spell is instant and can be cast in combat, because you are casting it. Also use the Healthregen spell.

Hope it helps :)

D

Danamyr

Life leech? Hmmm...will check that out later. I never train any skills until I ding Lvl 5 with my chars, so I did not really get a chance to check properly this morning before I went to bed.

I'll try a quick pull at lunch time and see how that works.

I already use the health regen, but thanks for the advice mate :)

A

Adralend

Btw, if you are all deathsight you shoul get a new one at lvl 6. I will get you the specline it's in when I get home :)

oh yeah, btw. np :)

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

There is a QC spell that you can use to get off a couple of power taps during combat if you time it carefully. I forget the name but it is a level 3 spell. Sometimes it can frustrate the fuck out of you by not casting properly and you will waste a lot of mana and health by trying to get it off in time. Practise makes perfect though...apparently.

I have a level 11 necro now and I am still torn between hating its guts and enjoying it.

P

Pin

See blue, cast lifetap, powertap, powertap, mob dies, move on to next at full health, full power.

See yellow, cast lifetap, lifetap, powertap, QC powertap, mob dies, move on to next at full health, full power.

See orange, cast lifetap, lifetap, powertap, insta lifetap, QC powertap, powertap, mob dies, move on to next at full health, full power.

Once you get the hang of it, it's pathetically easy to kill anything up to oranges. A particular favourite of mine at lower levels were ghosts. Undead mob, so spirit gets +20% damage, and nukers who will stop to cast, and never get to you. Chain kill these at orange/red con (good for levels 6-11).

The only thing that can be bad is getting a couple of resists will completely screw you. All other casters have a fairly easy escape if things go bad (QC root and run), but because a necro loses health when the pet dies, you'll really struggle to escape if things go bad (try running from a nuking mob as a caster on 1% hits :( ).

P

Pin

Originally posted by Adralend
at lvl 2 you should get a lifeleech spell that you can cast yourself, though it says it's through the pet, but the spell is instant and can be cast in combat, because you are casting it.

All spells are through the pet, but they have 2 components, a part that you cast, and a part that the pet casts.

Some of them are instant for you, 3 second cast for pet, some are instant for the pet, but 3 second cast time for you, and some are instant for both.

One thing that I found annoying was spell queuing is a bit dodgy, as both you and your pet can have a spell queued up, and it's not easy to work out when exactly to hit the next one.

D

Danamyr

Originally posted by Pin
A particular favourite of mine at lower levels were ghosts. Undead mob, so spirit gets +20% damage, and nukers who will stop to cast, and never get to you. Chain kill these at orange/red con (good for levels 6-11).

I really like the sound of those ghosts mate - where can I find them? I take it they are in SI, but where?

I'm afraid as soon as I dinged Lvl 5 I left SI and went back to Alb Mainland, but they sound ace :)

P

Pin

Originally posted by Danamyr

I really like the sound of those ghosts mate - where can I find them? I take it they are in SI, but where?

I'm afraid as soon as I dinged Lvl 5 I left SI and went back to Alb Mainland, but they sound ace :)

Well, I kept my necro in the Isle of Glass as I didn't care for exping again in the old world - would rather take the scenic route and explore everything new.

Ghosts can be found in quite a few places, and the level range is about 8-12. You can find some by Caifelle (east of the Aluvian Globules). And then another load near Anniogel.

As long as you move away from the mobs by Caer Gothwaite the experience should be much higher in the SI lands as there is always full camp bonus, so by taking 2/3 yellows together you can get huge camp and group bonuses and just plough through levels in no time. Despite taking the scenic route and exploring a lot, I still got to level 16 in about 12 hours /played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom