Nature has many mysteries

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Cicadas

These are small, locust-like insects, who emerge like clockwork on a 17-year cycle to wreak havoc (well, havoc to those people who dislike insects).

What puzzles me, is why 17 years? What is scientifically significant about 17 years? There must be a reason for it, some evolutionary advantage perhaps, possibly something in pre-history that we are unaware of?

The timing of things like monthly periods for women (caused by the lunar cycle), seasonal mating for various other creatures (caused by the seasons duh), they're all very obvious, but 17 years is going to take some serious guesswork IMO.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Rubbish. They can be permanently seen flying round many parts of Aegir all year round. In fact the olny time I remember seeing none was when a group of 4 Summ SMs went round killing them all.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
If you read the article Wij you would notice that they are a different type of cicada

*ahem*

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
dysfunction said:
If you read the article Wij you would notice that they are a different type of cicada

*ahem*

Does this mean I can't ride griffons in real life. :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
only if you smoke a magnesium bike beforehand yaruar

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Tom said:
The timing of things like monthly periods for women (caused by the lunar cycle)

Also wrong imo, the womens period is caused once a month by the need for them to HATE ALL MEN!:eek:

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Wij said:
Rubbish. They can be permanently seen flying round many parts of Aegir all year round. In fact the olny time I remember seeing none was when a group of 4 Summ SMs went round killing them all.
Rofl..sad git. :p

Wij

I am a FH squatter
yaruar said:
Does this mean I can't ride griffons in real life. :(

Yes you can, but Griffons in real life are pink and cylindrical with bluish veins and a purple hemlet.

And who spotted my deliberate mistake ? Yes, I said Summ SMs instead of Supp SMs. Thickos if you didn't notice !!! :D

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
What puzzles me, is why 17 years? What is scientifically significant about 17 years? There must be a reason for it, some evolutionary advantage perhaps, possibly something in pre-history that we are unaware of?

The Sun has verrry long cycles (Sol, not Fleet street) which effect the earths weather systems (sounds good, eh?). It may have something to do (in evolutionary terms) with the other plants & animals - maybe 17 years was the amount of time it took to fully replenish stocks?

Or they're just taking advantage of stockmarket trends? (ThE HARMLESS SLEEPY FU*KERS!!!)

:D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Or maybe its just a survival technique. Spending so long underground to appear only to mate does lower their risk of becoming extinct.

kelso

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Cicadas

These are small, locust-like insects, who emerge like clockwork on a 17-year cycle to wreak havoc (well, havoc to those people who dislike insects).

The timing of things like monthly periods for women (caused by the lunar cycle), seasonal mating for various other creatures (caused by the seasons duh), they're all very obvious, but 17 years is going to take some serious guesswork IMO.

17 years is a prime number... it makes it harder for predators from synchronising the timing

Sar

Part of the furniture
Trem said:
Also wrong imo, the womens period is caused once a month by the need for them to HATE ALL MEN!:eek:
This I can back up wholeheartedly atm.

The painters arrived this morning.

:(

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
they huddle round an enourmous alarm clock

kelso

Fledgling Freddie
pcg79 said:
but how do they all know when to come out...

They don't... It's instinct... Evolution.

Natural selection of mutations gradually pushes such cycles into prime number configurations. The ones that don't do this are more likely to get eaten.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It could well be down to Fibonacci Numbers.

Although 17 isnt a Fibonacci number as such, it may have something to do with Fibonacci levels of 38.2%, 50.0%, and 61.8% which can be seen on snail shells. The rings get bigger by these percentages...

http://www.world-mysteries.com/sci_17.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom