Name the Kittens Thread.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
In two weeks time I will be returning to the animal shelter to collect two fluffly bundles of joy, or Kittens as they are more commonly known.

I visited them today, but like an idiot forgot my camera. So I cannot yet furnish you with pictures. However one is fluffy and grey and extremely cute, the other is fluffy and black with white feet, oh, and extremely cute.

I do not however have any idea about names. The grey one is a girl cat, and the black with white feet is a boy cat.

So, the challenge is to come up with suggestions that can last my cats their lifetime, and which I won't be too embarrassed to explain to other people about.

The winner wins a signed photo of the cats, (one of those poor print jobs maybe?).

Gogogogogo...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I had to beat everyone else to it. I imagine it will be a common suggestion.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Sorry if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs here:

I've had mine for about 5 months, and its taken that long to work out their names. I think I'm going to call them two-socks, and zebedee (on account of one of them having 2 white socks for paws, and the other bouncing like mad when I put its plastic bucket collar on).

Stuff you will need that noone tells you about:

2 litter trays (not one, they will not share after a couple of weeks).
Cat litter, and a cat poo remover (like a spatula with big holes in).
Get the good cat litter, the cheaper wood/paper stuff fucking hums after a few days.
Lots of kitchen roll (you will mop up lots of wee/poo)
litter tray deoderant (the spray stuff is better than the powder)
Somewhere warm for them to sleep

Don't vary their diet, give them the same thing again and again, they may not eat for the first few days, don't worry, they will eat it sooner or later. Always make sure there is food out for them, they graze, and don't have regular feeding times. Leave some biscuits for them. Try the whiskas kitten food (pouches), or felix kitten trays.

DO NOT GIVE THEM MILK.

Most of their liquids will come from the cat food, but leave a bowl of water out always.

Give them around a month or so, then let them go outside, after a couple of days you'll be able to let them wander afar, don't worry, they will come back eventually. Get them a cat flap, and keep moving the litter tray closer to the door. Eventually, remove the tray completely, and just keep an eye on them when they start sniffing around corners. Each time they do, boot them out. They'll learn.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
You are preaching to the converted, as I have been there before, all apart from the seperate litter trays. I've never had two kittens at the same time. Previously when I had two cats one was about 6 when the other arrived. So handy tidbit there, otherwise a nice informative post for other would be kitten type owners out there.

Zebedee and two socks eh? /me begins the hijack.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Bush and Blair?

(Tho having a cat called Bush might get you dragged away by men in white coats... )

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Two socks

two%20socks.jpg

Taken just now. They've gone utterly beserk since the vet cut their woman nads out.

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
Piss and Shit. That's all the poxy things will contribute.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
O...K I'll put those on the possibles list...

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Name them after your best friends, Drugs and Cask.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Wait until you've had them a bit before you name them, best to get to know their personalities. I mean, you'd be reet pissed off if you named once Florence, and it was a bitchy little shitemare.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Does any cat-lover here have a procedure for re-training of cats that like to drag mice into your home, at 4am when you usually cannot fight back ?

I I ever get some, I'd name my own cats monty and python, just because ... :)

milou

Part of the furniture
My cat once brought me back a car sponge he'd found. Other cats I know are Percy, Maureen, Eric and Mr Disco. But Tom's right - wait a bit and choose ones for their personalities.

JimminyJimJim

Fledgling Freddie
Take all the letters, times 10, put them in a hat.

In another hat, put numbers 1-12, times 5 in another hat.

Pick a number, that tells you how many letters you need for the name. Then pick that amount of letters. Then you have your name! Who knows, you could end up with a great name like BENDYFACE !!!

Damini

Part of the furniture
Mazling said:
Does any cat-lover here have a procedure for re-training of cats that like to drag mice into your home, at 4am when you usually cannot fight back ?

I I ever get some, I'd name my own cats monty and python, just because ... :)

You're lucky. My parents cat has taken to weeing into bowls. No rhyme or reason, just a compulsion to urinate into bowls. At least by bringing you presents, it's his way of saying "Half dead rodents show I care". What message does piss bowl convey? It makes eating ice cream a high risk occupation.

Just get a big bell on your cats collar. And maybe a lazer light show. It's very hard to explain to your cat why a mouse spreading it's entrails all over your floor, or a rat recovering under your fridge, do not give you joy. It's easier just to humiliate your cat and make it the worst hunter ever due to the noises that clatter around it.

Cyfr

Banned
To take this onto a dog discussion.... (because everyone knows dogs > cats)

I have a dog that keeps urinating at the backdoor even when there is a catflap there and she does go through it most of the time.. WHY? :(

kanonfodda

Fledgling Freddie
Cyfr said:

I have a dog that keeps urinating at the backdoor even when there is a catflap there and she does go through it most of the time.. WHY? :(

cos dogs are fucking stupid?, and whilst dogs piss all over the floor, cats piss all over dogs ;)

:kissit:

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Damini said:
At least by bringing you presents, it's his way of saying "Half dead rodents show I care".
I wish they were half-dead/completely dead. These are alive and squeaking.

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
Cyfr said:

If it's something she's always done then perhaps she doesn't see anything wrong with it. It's best not to tell them off if you don't see them doing it btw, as some dogs are a bit thick so won't know what you're talking about and you'll just confuse them.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Tom said:
2 litter trays (not one, they will not share after a couple of weeks).

Ours are still sharing one after about 3 months... just had their nadgers done so they're allowed to go out and roam a bit now so we can start doing the cat flap thing and weening them off the litter tray.

They also share a water bowl with the dog :)

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
One reason I think I could never have a cat is I'd be to worried about letting it out, I'd always be worried it may get ran over or something, the fact that a neighbour came knocking about 3 weeks ago asking if we had seen their cat didn't help either, it's not been seen since, they had only had it about 5 months :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom