N.E.R.D Fly or Die

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
The release groups got hold of it yesterday so I dare say if you're interested you've got it by now.

What are people's thoughts on it? Personally it's a lot more rocky and poppy than I was expecting, along the lines of their Rolling Stones remix, which isn't a bad thing and Pharrel's soul style reminds me of Al Green. Best of all it's not a grower, I already love it and think it'll probably figure in a lot of Best Of lists towards the end of the year simply because of the fusing of genres.

Favourite so far is probably Jump with the Madden brothers from Good Charlotte just for the rhodes that follows the vocal lines.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I have a terrible feeling that I may have passed this off at last weeks 'uni-magazine-cd-leeching-a-rama-thon' (er, meeting). Damnit :(

Clown

Part of the furniture
Scoob, you kinda know what I like. Will I like N.E.R.D?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Off the back of the new single, I couldn't have less interest in this band... Current single is actually painful to listen to.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
You, sir, are wrong. She wants to move is awesome - best beat I've heard since, well, In Search Of.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's hideous.

Why are they strangling cats in it? I just don't get it :/

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I have to agree with swift. I've listened to several of their songs off that album and its pure torture.

Its worse than reading all my past BW posts all at once.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
I really, really like She Wants To Move. So much so, I might even have to go out and buy their two(?) albums

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Saw this and found the album and downloaded she wants to move, got about 1MB and decided to listen and it sounded fucking dire so I stopped the download and I'm glad I didn't buy it... not that I even was going to anyway :)

Sounds like some shite Justin Timberlake pop gay wank type shit... awful.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
She Wants to Move is amazing, took me a few listens to appreciate it though. The album is very rocky, not what I expected at all. I dont dislike it, but I haven't heard it enough to decide if I think its all great or not.

Bodhi

I see a lot of fools in this thread who clearly don't know their musical arses from their elbows. Seriously, no-one who judges a song after listening to a whole minute of it deserves an opinion on musical matters. Anyway.

Bought this today. After 2 or 3 listens I have to say it's pretty awesome. Maybe, Jump and of course, She Wants to Move are all standout tracks imo. I just love the way the songs take a while to get under your skin, but when they do, good lord stopping singing them is pretty impossible.

Hey mister..look at your girl......she's sexy.

ahem.

P.S. Heard the new Streets single today aswell. Awesome video and a pretty good song to boot.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry Bodhi but it's just fucking dire.. it's not my thing.. I dislike it a huge amount... I have great tolerance and appreciation for other genres of music besides what I prefer myself and I keep an open mind for the most part regarding music. However, that song plainly sucks willy, it is a pain to listen to, it's not even uplifting and contains no really great lyrics. It seems like a total carbon copy of a wank Justin Timberlake song and is part of that same genre of tripe :(

If you like it then fine that's up to you but I think it is dire and I'm a very opened minded person :)

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Didn't the neptunes produce timberlakes album? So the similarity is down to that?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Bodhi said:
I see a lot of fools in this thread who clearly don't know their musical arses from their elbows. Seriously, no-one who judges a song after listening to a whole minute of it deserves an opinion on musical matters. Anyway.

I sorry but thats just a completely brainless statement.

If you have listened to something and you dont like it has nothing to do with not knowing music. Its all to do with personal taste.

And how do you know how long people have listened to their music? I hear their song on the radio every so often and Ive listened to other tracks a few times.

And after all that I still dont like it and thats my opinion.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I've heard it so many times I want to die just thinking of it.

Mundane, slow vocals over a tuneless screech. Fantastic, you're right bods!

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Doh_boy said:
Didn't the neptunes produce timberlakes album? So the similarity is down to that?

Timbaland produced It I think...hence him doing guest vocals on Cry Me A River etc. Although, Pharell guested on another of his songs, didn't he? Either way...Both The Neptunes and Timbaland are very good producers.

Bodhi

dysfunction said:
I sorry but thats just a completely brainless statement.

If you have listened to something and you dont like it has nothing to do with not knowing music. Its all to do with personal taste.

And how do you know how long people have listened to their music? I hear their song on the radio every so often and Ive listened to other tracks a few times.

And after all that I still dont like it and thats my opinion.
Wasn't really that brainless. If you can't listen to a song the whole way through before judging it your are an arse, and should probably stick to Good Charlotte and Blink 182. I mean it's catchy immaediately it must be good!! Plus I knew Skyler had only listened to a minute of it. He told us that after all (generally speaking 1MB of an mp3 = 1 minute of song). Thankfully, I don't think N*E*R*D were aiming their latest single at people like you tho tbh. You'd be better off waiting for Sting or The Beatiful South's new ones. They'd be much more up your street.

Unfortunately people, such as yourself, will never understand the joys of music which grows on you, albums which take several listens to appreciate. Fly or Die is one of these. First listen I was dubious - it sounded noisy and tuneless - second listen at least 3 tracks had jumped out at me as being, in fact, awesome, and now, a week after buying it and several listens later, there is not a weak track on the album. I'd say it was a step up over In Search Of (something I didn't think was possible 8 days ago) and is easily the best release of 2004 so far. It sounds NOTHING like Justin Timberlake, no matter what drugs you are on - in fact it sounds like very little that has gone before.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Well Ive listened to about 4 of their songs off that album and Ive listened to them in their entirety several times and I think I like it even less than when I first heard them. I do try to give "new" things a chance as some things do grow on you, as you said. This is just not one of them for me.

I dont really like Sting, Good Charlotte or Blink 182. The Beautiful South isnt too bad. At least they have a sense of humour!

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
N.E.R.D = Garbage imo ! Hate their new song and their new album... Just can't... They are so eww...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom