Mythic Imperator canned?

Crookshanks

Fledgling Freddie
mmoradio just broadcasted that the Mythic game Imperator has been canned (well they used the term "postponed" ;) ), stating that it wasn't looking like being a grade tripple "A" game like DAOC.

Nothing on the official website yet. I wonder if they are going to put more development effort into DAOC, or just saving their resources for Warhammer?

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
LordjOX said:
http://www.mythicentertainment.com/press/Imperator_July_13.html

Says postponed, but rather use the word canned yea.
Guess the interest in Imperator wasn't big enough, and they need more people to complete Warhammer Online for release in 2007 :)
Not to mention the coming daoc expansion (another one:p)

im pretty sure warhammer will bring more customers then imperator (even tho imperator looked good for a pure pve game)

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Have to say I kinda expected this eversince they announced the Warhammer deal..

They had the choice between making something from scratch .. or building something based on something that already has a fairly large (not to say huge) fanbase and a lot of documented lore etc.

Or both and honestly DAOC isn't earning enough money to support the development of 2 MMO's as well as support/keep upgrading another.

Edit after reading pressrelease: Hmm yes people reassigned to DAOC and Warhammer .. really looks like they're canning it.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
imperator had a nice back story and looked kinda cool - ah well more people developing daoc hopefully :)

Zede

Part of the furniture
Warhammer has since the 80s been the biggest thing in roleplaying ( Fantasy Battle, Fantasy Roleplay,40k)

I think it will be next big mmorpg, attracting the same sort of player base as WoW.

How much do u want to bet they will rip the RvR elements straight from DaoC and import them to Warhammer :)

I will be rolling a Skaven for sure :clap:

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
shame everyone who goes in games workshop stores is an absolute goon :p

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
I think it's a shame, it looked like it could have been interesting. Certainly the screenies I saw looked like they'd done some nice things with the design. I think it's a shame when any could-be-cool project gets cancelled (OK, it's not official yet, but the writing is on the walls of the circus Maximus).

Good that DAOC will have more input into it again, though.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
thing is they got a completed game they can now sit on if market trends change they can release it or tweek it with a small team.

they might realise that a pve only game just isnt going to cut it anymore as most people want that player vs player experience.

o well they probbly didnt loose much but gained from the experience.

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
Im a bit unhappy they canned 'imp', not tht i was gunna play it, PvE is for goos but i think it used the same engine as the DAoC cat's which would have made it easy to keep up2date (2 for teh price of one?)

Now im just worried the development of DAoC 2 (oh i mean warhammer) wont mean they ignore daoc for 2 years.

Tho i am hopefull, i just hope they have many factions a'la warhammer, dont want only 2 or 3 alliances, think ill go whatever race is the last on the character gen screen. Be like the horde and hib all rolled into one ;)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Awarkle said:
thing is they got a completed game they can now sit on if market trends change they can release it or tweek it with a small team.

they might realise that a pve only game just isnt going to cut it anymore as most people want that player vs player experience.

o well they probbly didnt loose much but gained from the experience.

Imperator was 18 months from being complete, it is early alpha at best, they will need a damn sight more than a small team to finish that game off.

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
Good that DAOC will have more input into it again

ur presuming again....that input might just go ALL into Warhammer instead

you cant be sure of anything with Mythic until it happens

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
NeonBlue said:
ur presuming again

It's "you're", not "ur" :p

And I'm not presuming anything, it's Mythic's own words: "Staff will be reassigned to the ongoing development of "Dark Age of Camelot" including the next expansion, "Darkness Rising,"

:D

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
The looks of Imp were great imense detail and fantasic scenery, although reading the blurb on gameplay, it sounded a lot like a certain other MMORPG thats out...

WoW.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It had one big problem the name was crap, it was one of those silly words that you can't be sure how to pronounce at first glance and gave the impression straight away that the game itself would be a mish-mash.

Did they do ANY market research whatsoever on the name?

Tareregion

Fledgling Freddie
...i'm sorry but what part of im-pe-ra-tor don't u get? A game about Roman culture using the name Imperator. Yes such a strange idea.

Job

Cos the word just isn't right,it's a word that after you've said it you stilll think you've said it wrong compared to how it looks and half way through your brain thinks it might be a really cool word then it turns into a half-arsed strange word that just doesn't have any bite...bit like warhammer being turned into warmhummer.

Maybe only english peeps have this problem..dunno

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Job said:
It had one big problem the name was crap, it was one of those silly words that you can't be sure how to pronounce at first glance and gave the impression straight away that the game itself would be a mish-mash.

Did they do ANY market research whatsoever on the name?

yeh the name sounded like one of those cheap ps2 games that would be kinda cool for about 10 minutes then bore you and 90% of the time not worth buying it so

Mey

Part of the furniture
Nope, im English and as soon as I saw it I thought, Roman...

Maybe you didn’t pay attention during History?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
the name is (was) good...but pve, mythic+pve = bad (toa) i just hope warhammer has plenty of pvp, not pretend pvp like wow but proper pvp like daoc. Its a real shame that they managed to kill daoc though, could have gone so far in the right hands.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
the name is (was) good...but pve, mythic+pve = bad (toa) i just hope warhammer has plenty of pvp, not pretend pvp like wow but proper pvp like daoc.

wow and daoc = exactly the same pvp: you get thrown in a (large) arena and you have to make the best out of it, either with or without unwritten rules (in other words: just farm farm farm, qq when zerged and dont qq when you have it your way), win and run around some more, die and come back...

ohh and then there are keeps to capture and bunkers to destroy for roleplayers too! just in case... ;p

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:
wow and daoc = exactly the same pvp: you get thrown in a (large) arena and you have to make the best out of it, either with or without unwritten rules (in other words: just farm farm farm, qq when zerged and dont qq when you have it your way), win and run around some more, die and come back...

ohh and then there are keeps to capture and bunkers to destroy for roleplayers too! just in case... ;p

Except in WoW you have to wait for hours (had to wait up to 5 hours to get into a BG ... it's usually 30 minutes to an hour though) before you get "trown in a arena"

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
Imperator means commander/leader, and was also the title of the roman emperors during those times. Language is of course latin.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
Geeeeeeeeeeeez a latin name for a game about Romans in space ! Even a COMMON Latin word !!!

What a strange choice :rolleyes:

Job

Oh I'm sorry 'COMMON' Latin words, well I'll doffinius mi hattius to you all then.

It sounded like it was going to be Impenetrator or summit them lets you down, er most people would have no idea what imperator means, it just doesn't sound right for a game title.

I 100% guarantee if you told someone you played a game called imperator , they would say

'What'..impertrator..imperytator?

It's like DAOC should have been called Darkage or Arthurs Camelot online or realms of Camelot or summit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom