My First Web-Site.

D

doh_boy

So basically what the problem is, is that I'm crap at graphics but HATE crappy web-sites so when I make one I want it to look passible. What I have trouble with is not only the graphics but also the layout. What I want is a passage of text bordered on the right and top with a thick band of colour (still thinking of colour sceme :p) and in the corner of the border I want further lines parallel to the border but shorter (much shorter, not much further than the actual corner). Maybe three lines or something.

I'm fairly aware that it would be a big complex table (the lines in a table with no borderspacing and stuff). But what I want it a tool to do the lines. I want to have them rounded off (I also want 'lozenge' sorta shape buttons generic I know :p). I tried in paint shop pro but failed miserably.

Any help people? :D

And thanks to jonty in advance the UBER-helpful geezer that he is ;)

D

doh_boy

cheers, I managed to get ultra-dev....see what I can do with fireworks. soooo poor atm. :(

M

MYstIC G

Fireworks should essentially allow you to just draw it how you want it & dump it into dreamweaver, etc. It'll do it using graphics (which is bad in reality) which after you get more confident you'll just naturally start switching out for HTML code giving you the site you want.

F

FatBusinessman

Word of advice: complex table layouts are very much Not Your Friend, especially for something this simple.

Being currently bereft of my imaging software (damn hard disk failure) I'll have to try to explain this in words.

Basically, what you probably want for this is a "head" section, with the colour along the top and the three lines just underneath that all as a background image, tiling horizontally.

You then want your main section to have a similar background (only rotated 90° clockwise) tiling down the right hand side. You can connect these with a single image absolutely positioned in the top-right of your document.

You can then configure the main body of your document to have margins keeping it away from these borders.

This will make your document much more flexible if you want to change it later, and also makes your source code rather less hideous :)

F

FatBusinessman

Tableage = t3h l05e
CSS layouts = t3h w1n

D

doh_boy

ta fbm :)

Sounds like a lot of twatting about :/

No pleasure without pain I suppose </vic&bob muller adverts>

F

FatBusinessman

Afraid so - creating a nice website will involve an excessive, nay obscene, amount of twattage.

Users who are viewing this thread