My First Character

O

ONE>Kid

Hi , I decided to make an Armsman for my first character after walkin around i saw alot of people with cool 2handed swords, I've decided thats what Im going to train in :).

What Str/Dex attributes should i give my character at the creation screen ? (Im gonna be a Highlander). Also how do these armsman with long swords fair ? I really think they look cool , hehehe :p

O

ONE>Kid

Also is there any active guilds with nice people in who will be around beginneer/intermediate level that i could hook up with ? :)

D

Delket

Being as im not an armsman i am not 100% sure here
But i believe 2h slash is purely str based and 2h thrust is 75% str, 25% dex or similar

Might want to check on that however

P

Pixie.Pebr

Yupp.
And since yer a Highlander Armsman you will start out with lots of strength that will rise each time you level.
Dump your points in Dex/Con instead.
You be having a big chunk of Str anyway and with a friendly Cleric buffing you, it will be even bigger.

44 twohanded, 39 slash, 42 shield, xx parry, x crossbow.

Now go out there and hunt some Spirithounds! :D

Regards,

O

ONE>Kid

Any Guilds looking for a level 5 armsman (good investment for the future :) ) !

Y

Yelib

My advice about guilds is try to do it in game - many people you'll be grouping with in the next few levels are alts of people with higher characters. If they're guilded and they seem like the sort of person you'd want to be guilded with, ask them about it.

O

old.LandShark

Could i please persuade you to go polearms instead of 2Handed? Polearm has the best (in terms of damage bonuses) styles in the game, and 2Hand has albion's worst. (although it still beats some of the style lists from other realms- sad but true)

O

ONE>Kid

Should i go polearm thrusting or slashing ? Also will it be good for soloing monsters as thats all i seem to do atm :)

B

Bleri McThrust

With patch 1.52 (soon) you will get the chance to respecc at lvl's 20 and 40.

Might be an idea to start of with sword and shield. Thats a lot easier to use at lower levels in PvE.

You can always then use the respecc to go pole if you want.

P

Pixie.Pebr

Originally posted by luke1983
Should i go polearm thrusting or slashing ? Also will it be good for soloing monsters as thats all i seem to do atm :)

Ive been Thrustpole since lvl5.
No problem soloing mobs of equal strength, but tackling oranges can be hard, seeing as the polearm is slow, thus one miss can mean life or death (most often death) on an orange mob.

Wether to choose Slash or Thrust...
Imo it is a matter of taste really.
Both types has its strengths and weaknesses against different types of armor.

What you should think of after choosing is hunting mobs that are weak to the kind of damage you choose.
Dont hunt skeletons with a thrustwep, it will just go through ;)

More thoughts?

O

ONE>Kid

I dont see many people with polearms about tho , but a damn awful lot with 2 handed weapons, why so many if polearms is the better skill ? :/

S

Sarnat

This is like shooting myself on the foot but...

I'd strongly recommend polearms if you are an armsman.

But if you insist going with 2h swords...

You should put 10 points into str, con and then either 5 to dex and qui or 10 to one of them. Dex will give you some additional parry and block, qui will make you swing faster.

As someone pointed out, the most powerful spec involves something like this: 44 2handed 39 damage type 42 shield, rest parry and x-bow or just parry. This way you can go defensive and use a shield and a 1hander, or be more offensive with the 2handed. Or be really mean and use a shield 1st to slam (slam is a shield spec 42 style that will stun your target for 9 seconds) and then switch to 2handed for the kill.

Now that I think about it, I'd strongly recommend swords! I have only 41% effective slash resist so you might almost dent my armour! ;)

P

Pixie.Pebr

Or Thrust... :p

Really, up to you.
Thrust = More dam on Middie Tanks
Slash = More dam on Hibbie Tanks

Since you wont be able to pick and choose your fights, specc whatever of the two.

Oooor.... go Crush? ;)

C

cHodAX

Go thrust, alot of Mid tanks on this server and you get nice damage on them. Hib has alot of casters so alothough you do less dmg they die quick anyway, apart from the champion with IP who hits like a truck..... ;)

O

old.Kladen

2handed weaps arent very good. but twohanded swords look the coolest. (thats why im one but its very gimpy)

pole thrust is the best way to go for a polearmer, or 2handed thrust ( twohanded thrust weapon spd can be 3.8SPD!!!! thats great vs people with blade turn.)

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by old.Kladen

pole thrust is the best way to go for a polearmer, or 2handed thrust ( twohanded thrust weapon spd can be 3.8SPD!!!! thats great vs people with blade turn.)

Not when they debuff you with haste and you take 5 secs+ per swing ;)

O

old.windforce

only armsman can use polearms
polearms give 15% bonus on damage

iam specced
39 slash
42 shield
42 polearm (will be 44)
11 parry (will be 24)
2 xbow (will be 4)

on heave monsters in pve i use sword + board all the time
caster are the damage dealers not tanks

In RvR pole is the way to go
1 slam (stun the bugger)
2 defenders rage back-upped with poleaxe
3 same
4 slam again
5 finish the damn mid

for low levels sword + board will be best
start speccing pole after you get slam (level 42)

all polestyles are 100% strength base (for damageoutput)
slash has most userfriendly styles in 1 handed

trust is good against middie chain but 1 hand styles kinda suck for an armsman

good luck

O

ONE>Kid

sooo you say polearm slash? Maybe if its hard to lvl would it be better for me to go 1h + shield for my first guy, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh i dunno :D

L

listepik

i'd suggest sword and shield up to at least lvl 25.

reason for this:

you swing faster, and you have more defence. this means that a miss wont be terrible, and it means that you have more defence, until you get plate armor.

it also means (this is the key) that you dont have to worry about deciding wether to go pole or 2handed, until lvl 25 :)

G

Generic Poster

I dont see many people with polearms about tho , but a damn awful lot with 2 handed weapons, why so many if polearms is the better skill ? :/

Most 2h-Sword users are Paladins.

If you want style, roll a saracen mercenary dual-weilding-thrust. Not only will you look good, you'll hurt stuff doing it.

O

old.LandShark

My thought is like this.... thrust is a damn good damage type (the only things that wear thrust-resistant armor are so low on hit points that the resistance isn't a problem) but thrust styles are pretty crap for a tank. There's no good 'anytime' style in the thrust list, basically, though a medium stun (use after block- "beartooth") is good damage and good utility for a shield tank.
Another problem is that 1h thrust is based on dex, which, as an armsman, you won't exactly have dribbling out of your ears. Polearm, even thrust poles, are based entirely on str, and have an excellent (so i'm told) style list.
perhaps 44polearm, 42shield, 44thrust? 44thrust gives you the tranquilise->wyvernfang chain, pretty good in RvR, though tranquilize is a detaunt so you might have problems if you used that in a group, where you will WANT aggro...
Also only leaves 13 parry. You could drop thrust to 39 and raise your parry or Xbow...
*shrug*
I'm no expert on polearms specifically but i do know the thrust styles well :) and they just ain't good for a tank

O

old.Krusha

Originally posted by old.windforce

In RvR pole is the way to go
1 slam (stun the bugger)
2 defenders rage back-upped with poleaxe
3 same
4 slam again
5 finish the damn mid

Isnt there a 60 sec timer on slam (ie on the stun effect)? or do you swing once every 30s? ;)

O

old.windforce

ah yes there is in rvr
was working on my second mid there :p

O

ONE>Kid

Was just wondering , at low levels, how do you guys compose yourself to all the hours of leveling. All i seem to be doing atm is this, is there anythin else people do when there abit tired of lvling and want to take a break from it ? Like to hear what other people get up to :). Atm i will usually go and shop round for a new cape to wash away the sweat of constantly leveling ;) what do you guys do?

BTW I'm level 7 going on 8 now :)

I

inqy

no, it's a very dull game.

find yourself some peeps to group with and try to keep up with them level for level. then you can chat with them and this is how you may find your desired guild.

gl alb scum :)

F

Fafnir

Was just wondering , at low levels, how do you guys compose yourself to all the hours of leveling. All i seem to be doing atm is this, is there anythin else people do when there abit tired of lvling and want to take a break from it ? Like to hear what other people get up to :). Atm i will usually go and shop round for a new cape to wash away the sweat of constantly leveling ;) what do you guys do?

BTW I'm level 7 going on 8 now :)

Well by the time my thane was lvl 15 i had actually explored most of spindelhalla. Was alot of fun but lost all earned xp and alot of cash. But this is not a option for you since you are a freaking alb. So come to emain and i can help you die in a few different way's :)

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by old.LandShark
Could i please persuade you to go polearms instead of 2Handed? Polearm has the best (in terms of damage bonuses) styles in the game, and 2Hand has albion's worst. (although it still beats some of the style lists from other realms- sad but true)

nah dual wield is worse than two handed surely... :)

(although, I was testing the styles last night - flank does a heck of a lot of damage compared to side slicer, in fact it does quite a lot more than amethyst even... for less endurance. It is side positional though, so you'd expect a bonus :)
maybe it's just because I've got more DW than slash)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom