[INFO] My cure for the stuttering..

Fizzlebutt

Fledgling Freddie
My hd4870 stutters sometimes :( So annoying, got 64bit vista ultimate and 2 gigs of ram with the amd 9950be cpu. Dont know if its the game itself or if i need more ram. Just in case, im ordering some more ram come payday.

twix112

Fledgling Freddie
Looked in the task manager in windows when I had WAR running... 1.2gb of RAM... so 2 gb is pushing it... that's what I got and it isn't enought... so a quad and 8gb of RAM next payday ;)

aika

Can't get enough of FH
shamelessly taken from another forum , but if you have Nvidia card you might get some increase in FPS if you turn off the default dual monitor support.

Open up the Nvidia control panel
go to Manage 3D settings
scroll down till you find "Multi/Display" and set it to single monitor instead of dual monitors.

hope it helps :)

Drifter-One

It's my birthday today!
the problem is running 64bit vista - run 32 bit version and i can almost guarentee no stutter

Rothzak

Fledgling Freddie
Don't know if the latest 'patch' implemented anything regarding performance, but i noticed i'm not having a slideshow anymore :clap:

Tomask

Loyal Freddie
I Disagree that the problem is running 64-bit vista, I have been running 64bit Vista since it came out and the only problem I had running war was in the early releases in Beta.

As far as I can remember I have crashed once maybe twice since release I think the problem lies more with certain hardware combinations with certain driver sets rather than blanket blaming OS's.

If i was to take a stab at what was up with Fizzlebutt's setup I would go for memmory and cpu, I used to love AMD but unfortunatly there latsest offerings really just dont cut it hence my switch over to Intel and you should really be looking at 3GB + on your system to get the most out of it in my honest opinion. Also there is certain sets of Beta Catalyst drivers which help alot with performance.

Personally im running q6600 with 8GB Mem and crossfired 4870's and I dont get stutter and I didn't when it was only 4GB and only a GF8800.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
My hd4870 stutters sometimes :( So annoying, got 64bit vista ultimate and 2 gigs of ram with the amd 9950be cpu. Dont know if its the game itself or if i need more ram. Just in case, im ordering some more ram come payday.

2 gig ram is too little for vista 64, even for vista 32, get more! its cheap

yes I know he said he was going to order more, I just see so many people saying they are only sitting on 2gig with vista and its just silly seeing the prices of ram

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Aye, no problems here anyway, only occasional memory leaks in game. But past two days I've had solid 80+ fps so I might have solved that by forcing Max AA and AF on my gfx card.

dee777

Loyal Freddie
I Disagree that the problem is running 64-bit vista, I have been running 64bit Vista since it came out and the only problem I had running war was in the early releases in Beta.

Same here actually. Core2Duo 6600, 4 Gigs and a 8800GT with Vista64 Business without problems.

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
Im getting alot of stuttering imo, and it seems to be the pc is loading stuff real-time and thats what couses it.. (HDD going blinking alot, and the game stutters) - especially when running into new places.. Normally i would think this is dou to lack of system mem, but its using 1.7 of 2, so that should be allright no? Could it be lack of GFX mem?

I have no stutter in any other games, but i think the reason is the lack of SLI support in WAR. I disabled SLI due to this, but that leaves me at 512MB GFX memory.
Any suggestions?
When running the game the tast manager says shows a mem usage of about 1.7Gb..

My spec is:
CPU: E8400 @ 3.45Ghz, 2GB mem, 2x 8800GT 512MB (Sli disabled).

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Im getting alot of stuttering imo, and it seems to be the pc is loading stuff real-time and thats what couses it.. (HDD going blinking alot, and the game stutters) - especially when running into new places..

I have no stutter in any other games, but i think the reason is the lack of SLI support in WAR. I disabled SLI due to this, but that leaves me at 512MB GFX memory.
Any suggestions?
When running the game the tast manager says shows a mem usage of about 1.7Gb..

My spec is:
CPU: E8400 @ 3.45Ghz, 2GB mem, 2x 8800GT 512MB (Sli disabled).

I would always suggest 4gig ram if you are on Vista, if not another gig can't hurt.
A good idea I've tried (and seems to work wonders for me) is to force AA and AF to the max on your GFX card.

caswallawn

Fledgling Freddie
I would always suggest 4gig ram if you are on Vista, if not another gig can't hurt.
A good idea I've tried (and seems to work wonders for me) is to force AA and AF to the max on your GFX card.
you need to rember 32bit versions of vista/xp only actualy support about 3.5gig of ram. to use more ram you need the 64bit versions of Vista/XP then its only limited by what the mother board will take.

aika

Can't get enough of FH
SLI doesnt increase memory size afaik

Edit: Vid Card doesnt matter much , I get exactly the same FPS/perfomance with my 8800GT and my old 7900GT card.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
you need to rember 32bit versions of vista/xp only actualy support about 3.5gig of ram. to use more ram you need the 64bit versions of Vista/XP then its only limited by what the mother board will take.

Yeah, thats what I meant :)

dee777

Loyal Freddie

To be precise, Windows supports the full 32bit adressable 4 Gigs of RAM, however you will need some adressroom to manage video memory and (unusual nowadays, but some cards still have it) sound memory.

The 3.5 Gigs arent far off a standard rig nowadays, as you usually dont have any sound memory and 512 Megs of RAM on your everyday video card.

</NitpickMode>

Heta

Fledgling Freddie

it supports 4gig minus whats on your GFX card

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
Maybe im not making my self clear here.. I know quite abit about FPS issues etc etc, but im not talking about the stuttering often provoked by really high FPS count.
Im talking about the game hardware lagging while loading new stuff. Best example would be loggin in, then turning your char around, inside the main city.. This gives stupid stutter, while your HDD LED goes mental, loading the map into the memory of either the system, or grafic mem..

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved

Thats works a treat!! have some repola from me :clap:

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved
I havn't dropped below 80 fps anywhere since I did this :)
on a 4850 btw.

on a nvidia 9800 and its worked wonders. Even looks better ingame now that the AA is forced, must be something to do with how the client wants to draw the graphics and when forced to use the hardware it corrects itself.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
on a nvidia 9800 and its worked wonders. Even looks better ingame now that the AA is forced, must be something to do with how the client wants to draw the graphics and when forced to use the hardware it corrects itself.

Glad I could help. I've been bandying this tip around on the forum, but you are the only person to state that it's made a difference :)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
question now is, how do you force AA and AF?

Are you using a Nvidia card?
if so, I've heard you need to download something called Rivatuner? (correct me if I'm wrong anyone)

if it's ATI, just go into CCC and the 3d Tab, and set Anti Aliasing up to max, and also Anisotropic Filtering.

Eralef

Fledgling Freddie
For Nvidia cards I think you can just use Nvidia Control Panel > "Advanced Settings view" >Manage 3D settings there you can apply AA and AF on a global or application by application basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom