My computer keeps freezing

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
my computer keeps freezing randomly, i can be on the computer for 10 minutes and it starts freezing, or i can b on for 2 hours and it starts freezing. it freezes for about 5-15 seconds then unfreezes for 1-2 seconds and freezes again, this goes on for a few minutes until it unfreezes and the computers fine, except that its cut off my broadband connection and i cant reconnect it manually.

it also freezes wenever i try to run a game which makes me think its a problem wiht my CPU or gfx card? possibly overheating? but then it still freezes when the windows open and the computer doesnt feel hot.

my computer also randomly swtichs off and restarts.

ive ran a virus scan and it found 3 trojans which i deleted succesfully, i clicked the anem of the virus to look it up on mcafee but they just tried 2 sell me there products :p... after deleting them i still couldnt play anygames as the computer freezes as soon as i log in etc etc :(

any advice ?

- reformatting really isnt a option :(

Buliwyf

Fledgling Freddie
Get every program under the sun to detect and kill any virus/trojan/spyware.
If you can remember the name of the trojans, look solution to delete up at http://www.symantec.com/search/

Download this www.spywareinfo.dk/download/mwav.exe to your desktop and reboot to safemode. Run it in safemode. Also http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html is pretty nice to spot out wierd processes running. Be carefull what you delete with this one though.

The new microsoft anti-spyware beta 1 is also nice. It detects spyware stuff that adware ect dont. I had virus, trojans and loads of spyware on my comp 2-3 weeks ago. My comp was also laggy and so, hence the reason i think you still have virus ect.

If the trojan/spyware/virus is in your boot sector, reformat'ing will not help anyway. After 3 days I just went ballistic on my "regedit" and deletet every key I thought was a bug. Did a reformat / fdisk / reinstall'd windows. And it worked. Hope you get it fixed :)

Kicks

Fledgling Freddie
If you have a record of the virus's/trojans it found go look um up on the web and check for removal instructions they well have registry entries somewhere that your virus scanner hasn't removed.

Download Adaware and a Registry cleaner (TweakNow works nicely), I swear by Adaware it's never let me down thus far. Do a scan with each and remove everything they find.

Finally uninstall Internet Explorer and install Firefox :)

If something was over heating then your freezes would be perma and would require a reboot to sort or you would see the machine just shut itself down, depending on any safety levels set in windows or your bios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom