My .cfg aint working

O

old.j_mcilroy

I was making a config file as per the tutorial, but even the most basic .cfg file will not load.

It looks like the .txt file is still not recognised as a .cfg file even after renaming.

Can anyone help?Do I need to alter settings for My Computer or something?

O

old.-Pakman-

Depends what you are trying to do, having not read the tutorial i'm not sure what you are doing. But try this:

1. Look in your mod directory for autoexec.cfg. If its not there create a text file and change the .txt to .cfg. Make sure you are in the mod directory eg c:\sierra\halflife\cstrike\autoexec.cfg.

2. add the lines "echo autoexec.cfg run" and
"exec my_config.cfg" to the autoexec.cfg (change the my_config.cfg to whatever the file name is (the extension doesn't actually matter so long as its a text file)).

3. When you join a server the "autoexec.cfg run" pop up on the console to let you know.

O

old.j_mcilroy

Thanks for the help, but I still had the same problem.
On closer inspection I found that my files full name is johns.cfg.txt
When I added this to the command line everything worked fine.
I still would like to know how to change the .txt as a simple rename doesn't work.

Thanks again.

O

old.QorbeQ

Just a guess, but this is Win9x, yer?

Might be this getting in the way...

Double-click on My Computer and in the window that opens, select the "View" menu, then select "Options".

Click on the "View" tab at the top and then uncheck the bottom box that says "Hide MS-DOS file extensions for file types that are registered". Hit OK.

Browse to wherever your file is. You should see it named as johns.cfg.txt

Alter the name to johns.cfg - it may moan about changing the file extension but if it does just select "yes".

If you don't like seeing the file extensions displayed in explorer windows, go back to the view/options/view tab and recheck the "Hide" box.

I apologise if this is either not the problem or if you are suitably computer-literate that you already knew about it, but some people use things as they come out of the box...

[This message has been edited by QorbeQ (edited 08 September 2000).]

O

old.Atomiser

If you want save a .txt file as a .cfg file or any other extension for that matter, simply put the filename between double quotes i.e "autoexec.cfg", then save it.
If you do that the .txt extension won't get tagged on to the end of the file name.
HTH
Atomiser

[This message has been edited by Atomiser (edited 08 September 2000).]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom