My BTOpenworld Diary

O

Ono

OK, I am starting this thread to record my experience of having ADSL from BTOW just in case it goes pear-shaped.

The BT guy is coming Friday 27th Oct (tomorrow) in the morning.

There has been so much disappointment and problems with BTOW and BT in general that I am getting quite worried that the install will not proceed according to plan, whether it be too much line noise or being unable to connect due to not having any IP addresses freed up.

Hopefully this will be my last post using the old 56k modem and tomorrow will be the new dawn and birth of a new LPB on the CS servers.

Wish me luck.

If all goes well I will let you know and close this thread.

Ono

/me now goes upstairs to pray to our Lord.

O

old.Jimmy

hummm

good luck and godbless the 56k that once brought you so much fragginess, and will do to the rest of us for aeons to come...

O

Ono

Phewwwwww

Well, it's installed.

The BT guy was round at 8.30 this mornin and left at 10.45am.

My line passed the WHOOSH test that they do and after a bit of phone socket moving he tested the connection on his laptop.

Connection at :576000bps.

I downloaded the new HL patch at 17.2 megs and it took ............... 8 minutes! Normally over 2 hours!

Just tried CS on the BW servers and was pinging at 70-100ms which is a touch disappointing. But that still makes me an LPB !!:)

Web pages now fully load in half second to 1 second.

I am very happy.

If anyone has a question or a test they want me to do on the ADSL let me know and I'll see wot I can do.

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Hehe another DSL ping that is worse than a ISDN one:D:D:D

O

Ono

Yer, it is a blow to the peeps who said pings of 20-40 were the normal on DSL but hey! that's life (and BT) for ya.

The good thing is that web pages really ARE instantaneous (server side permitting) and I aint paying call charges anymore.

O

Ono

Update

Since the posting above the CS pings have been between 40 and 60 ms.

Stil not below 30ms, but hey! Who cares.

O

old.brock landers

i have, cable and was also disappointed at first - pings of 70-90
BUT- they have improved-rarely get a ping of 40 now.

enjoy it

S

Stazbumpa

I'd just like to say: you're all a bunch of bastards.
I am forced to use my 56k coz of my location (for now) and IF net traffic is not too bad and IF my ISP does'nt disconnect me after 10 mins and IF the wind is blowing in the right direction I can reach the holy grail of a 170ms ping.
Normally it sticks around 200 - 250 ish.

BTW Ono, does your connection have a fixed IP or does it do the IP swap thingy that I've heard about??
Some poor bastard had this trouble and could'nt connect for 11 days.

Bugger.

S

Stazbumpa

PS: I'm grabbing the HL patch as I write this.

I started downloading it yesterday.

:(

O

Ono

Originally posted by stazbumpa

BTW Ono, does your connection have a fixed IP or does it do the IP swap thingy that I've heard about??
Some poor bastard had this trouble and could'nt connect for 11 days.

Bugger.

LOL Staz, by the time you finish the download it will have come out on the PC Gamer coverdisc! :)

I have the USB single user which means it is a Dynamic IP allocation. I did have about half hour of connection problems yesterday. Once I got on again I left it connected for over 12 hours! :) until I had to go to bed. No probs today though.
Sooner BT sort it out the better.

I do feel that £40 is a bargain for the service and I feel sorry for the poor sobs that have HH or ISDN and were promised a free upgrade by BT only for them to say F:(CK You after a few months. My brother ([I AM] Hmmm) included. Hiya M8!

S

shabazz

well that seems about the norm for isdn - in games that is

i'd even go as far as to say its possibly a bit slower.

then again you get quicker web access - btw what was your download rate, or your dl rate in general.

you see i'm pondering whether to upgrade to adsl

ive got a homehighway line at the mo and pay about the same as adsl - 40 squid a month (inc calls though)

pings are good, and i use bt free thingy, which is very good for me imho

i just need to know more about it - i.e. about the ip's, whether icq works, etc.

basically anything that is different to being on modem previously as isdn works just like a faster modem, if ya know what i mean.

and what about all that connection ratio guffins

p.s. could ya tracert baryysworld.com in the morning, afternoon and evening and post the results here!

Ta!

S

Stazbumpa

hehe, I'm not being nasty; but Ono, you getting ADSL and with all the questions posted; this just make me think of the South Park movie.

ie:
Cartman: "Yes, I have just seen the new Terence and Phillip movie, now who wants too touch me? I SAID WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME!!"

just joking :)

O

old.ED209

2 days?

it took me 2 hours to DL the new HL patch,and im on 56k...

O

Ono

YES, I HAVE ADSL, NOW WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME...?

I SAID, WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME?!

OK, Staz you can.

NOW WHO ELSE?!

:)

O

old.mad_hatter

Good to see it's working

Hi ONO,

It's good to see that the weeks of anticipation have paid off at last. Hopefully now you'll be able to shoot something - :)

I now need to convince my wife that I NEED this more than we need to go food shopping this week - How do I manage that????

Hatter

S

Stazbumpa

Try getting those 99p nuke box frozen meals from Iceland and live on those for a month.
Works for me.

Actually, I have no choice.

My dad sold the cooker.

Bugger.

O

old.mad_hatter

Thanks Staz

Thanks Staz,

I would, except I sold the microwave to buy a new graphics card.

O

Ono

Ahhh, the Hatter (and a Mad one at that) is in town

Hello M8

Tell the Missus that it is the best thing since sliced bread, and ham, and baby food, and Walkers Crisps and......

Alternatively just get it and don't tell her. Worked for me!

Seeya tomorrow :)

O

old.mad_hatter

Wel, it's worth a try

Cheers mate.
I'll try it tonight.

S

shabazz

to tracert
-------------
get connected (durrr)

go the ms dos promt

type:

tracert http://www.barrysworld.com - ignore the http stuff which the message boardputs in - i dont think you need it.

or tracert (any ip you can think of)

there ya go m8

post the results - ill do the same and compare ;o)

S

Stazbumpa

lo, me again.
Quick question Ono.
Does ADSL support Battle Com or Roger Wilco. Need to know coz Carl1ng (my clan boss) is getting it in the next day or so and we need the talky progs for CS matches.

Luv and hugz
Staz
xxx

PS: I don't really want to touch u :)

O

Ono

Tracerted

Staz

Tracert to BW.com at 7pm today:

Loads of gubbins on screen predominantly the figures 29ms going up to 44ms.

Dunno what it means but can't be arsed to write down all the stuff.

Soz.

O

old.Carl1ng

All I got to say on the subject of ADSL is, it would be great if we did not have to deal with BT.

My first installation date was a no show.

Second installation date, BT engineer turns up on time after me showing him how to work his lap top he tells me my line has failed a whoosh test (should have under 41 decibels of noise but my line has 50). He then said he was going to the exchange to sort it and would ring me in about an hour.

I waited 5 hours then rang them. They could not tell me what the problem was due to the engineer being missing (I’ve heard some excuses in my time but that beats British Rails sorry we are late there was leaves on the track).

After ringing them 3 times a day to try and find out what the problem was, they tell me its not your line now it’s the exchange and we are not going to fix it so you can’t have ADSL (Now I’m pissed).

The very next day I receive a phone call saying, we might be able to fix it we will get back in touch with you in 48 hours (what a waste of a phone call).

In the mean time I got in touch with BT customer services and asked them if I’ve got a problem with my line why is it that you are not prepared to fix it. The response I got was, the thing is the lines are only guarantied for normal voice communication nothing else, so piss off basically.

I have left a lot out about what went on, I don’t think BW got a big enough hard drive for me to mention it all.

BT got us by the balls and they know it. They are the biggest communications company in the UK and they suck. How do there advert go, IT PAYS TO TALK. Pity they didn’t take notice of that advert and have the decency to give me a ring and let me know what was going on.

ET go home, if you got any sense.

NTL please come and install in my area so I can f… these w…… off.

cu

O

Ono

I hope your engineer got sacked for going missing (unless he got ran over or something). Thing is, many of us have to take a day off work too and it really sucks when it fails. I mentioned to the bloke who installed mine that I was very busy at work etc, etc. so he would be a bit more inclined to install anyway.

Mate of mine waited all day and BT never turned up! He phoned and they said his appointment was the day b4 and he had missed it even though he clearly stated the date he wanted.

BT .... PULL YER FINGERS OUT WILL YA!

S

Stazbumpa

See "BT are wankers - discuss" for other delightful stories of BT's fantastic range of services and support.

No, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom