My 9800 Pro has just died

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Folks,

I've had my powercolor 9800 Pro 128 Mb since about September last year, and today my PC just suddenly 'died'. After stripping the PC right down and resetting the CMOS (everything was fine until tonight), it still wouldn't boot.

I removed my 9800 Pro and put in an old shitty PCI card and it worked fine. Additionally, my backup GF2 MX is in my system now.

Do i return the card to Powercolor? or do i return the card to overclockers? Where do i stand on warranty/guarantee, because for it to die after 6 months is clearly an issue.

Cheers :(

G

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Its still under warranty so theres no need to worry too much, I would drop overclockers an e-mail or phone them to ask, but im sure powercolor would do a swap out for you, so you send yours back after they send you a new one....so first port of call would be overclockers

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
Assuming you haven't voided your warranty by fitting a different cooler or by overclocking it?

UK Law says you've got a minimum 1 year guarantee on all electrical goods. So long as the card still looks like you've not done anything silly to it, you should get a replacement easily enough. If you've got a Serial number and powercolor have a UK base, then it's best to go direct to them. They may send you to the retailer but, as a general rule, the manufactuerer is usually a lot quicker at shipping replacements.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Cheers for replies,

The cooler is stock but i've tried tweaking the core speed before as a one off, it doesn't sit there overclocked.

I found this on the trading standards website under the 'warranty' section.

If you have problems with goods or services, it is best to go back to the company from which you bought them, as the law considers them to be responsible for any problems under their contract with you.

By law, my contract is with Overclockers. However, it says on their (overclockers) website:

Most Non-Clearance Lines items may only be returned within 28 days of your product’s shipping date. After 28 days, all returns must be returned to the manufacturer. Overclockers UK may, at it's complete discretion accept returns after 28 days of of your product’s shipping date, but never after 12 months.

Any problems with them and I'll quote the bit on the Trading Standards webby. It doesn't appear that Powercolor provide an RMA service in the UK (or even have a UK base, only contact details are for Taiwan) however there is one for the USA.

Bah, what a hastle :(

G

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
That 28 day policy is unenforcable. They have a legal responsibility to repair or replace the product within the first 12 months (If I remember my statutory rights correctly).

It helps, though, not to get too shirty with them at this point. Write to them and explain clearly what you want from them and what you think they're obliged to give you by law. (and the fact that you'd have to use overseas shipping to return the card to Powercolor)

If that fails, write to that bloke on PC Zone. He'll sort 'em out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom