Multiple Monitors/Displays

C

caLLous

Hi! At the moment, I have a monitor and a TV connected to my Geforce 4 Ti4600. Now, I recently aquired another monitor and the diagram on the back of the box suggests that you can use the DVI to 15 pin adapter to connect this to the DVI port on the card. I did this, but it only seems to want to power 2 displays at any one time, no matter how I arrange them... Can 3 displays be used, or is this not possible? The nVidia site was approximately no help whatsoever, and I'm currently googling for help...

C

Cdr

Unless he got a 2nd GFX card (PCI) and used that to power his third monitor?

O

old.RedVenom

Or an extra testicle. I heard you can't have more monitors than bollocks.

M

mookie

i tried the same thing, MSI gf4-ti 4200, and no mattter how i tried i couldnt get all 3 displays working independently

i managed any 2 at the same time, the only time i got all 3 going was a desktop stretched across both monitors and a seperate desktop on the TV.

if you find a way to do all 3, let me know :)

J

Jonty

Hi caLLous

You can theoretically have far more than two monitors hooked up to a single system. In order to accomplish this, you have to invest in a PCI graphics card(s). You then use your AGP video card, using both outputs if you wish, and then simply install your PCI video cards along side (your AGP video card should be controlling the primary display).

Just doing a quick search, it seems TechTV have tested out this theory, and have happily run three or four monitors on one, two or three graphics cards.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. I believe you can purchase the GeForceFX 5600 as a PCI card, which would probably be your best bet in terms of recent hardware combined with solid drivers and good 2D quality.

M

Mellow-

You can have about 8, or 16 monitors on one PC!!!

I can't remember how to set it up though.

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Mellow-
You can have about 8, or 16 monitors on one PC!!!
True :) Using TechTV's approach, you're only limited by the number of PCI slots, graphics cards and the number of monitors you have. Say, for example, the average motherboard has five PCI slots, which we'll say are all empty for argument's sake. That's a maximum of five PCI graphics cards, which can have up to two display outputs, hence ten monitors could be supported. Add to that the AGP slot, again with two outputs, makes a total of 12 screen outputs.

Of course this is all theoretical. The multiple monitor software almost certainly won't be tested with this many monitors, and having 12 monitors and six graphics cards is highly unlikely, to say the least. But I'm sure it could be done, given the right amount of time and money :)

Kind Regards

E

Embattle

Yes you can do more monitors by adding PCI cards, but i believe he wondered if he could do it with his current card :)

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by Jonty
True :) Using TechTV's approach, you're only limited by the number of PCI slots, graphics cards and the number of monitors you have. Say, for example, the average motherboard has five PCI slots, which we'll say are all empty for argument's sake. That's a maximum of five PCI graphics cards, which can have up to two display outputs, hence ten monitors could be supported. Add to that the AGP slot, again with two outputs, makes a total of 12 screen outputs.

Of course this is all theoretical. The multiple monitor software almost certainly won't be tested with this many monitors, and having 12 monitors and six graphics cards is highly unlikely, to say the least. But I'm sure it could be done, given the right amount of time and money :)

Kind Regards

There was also a bespoke 4 monitor graphics card featured in PC Plus last year. Not that I can remember who/where from, but they exist.

No 3D to speak of though - heh :)

F

FatBusinessman

Originally posted by old.RedVenom
Or an extra testicle. I heard you can't have more monitors than bollocks.

I suspect that this somewhat inconveniences female computer users...

S

Scooba Da Bass

Matrox have a version of their Parhelia with 3 heads.

The only downside being a $300 price tag.

O

old.RedVenom

Originally posted by FatBusinessman
I suspect that this somewhat inconveniences female computer users...

Good joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom