Mulholland Drive

Limbonic

Loyal Freddie
Hello all! :)

I was wondering if anyone have seen Mulholland Drive and still kept his/her sanity intact by trying to put the pieces together. I have never in my entire life encountered a movie witch puzzels me as much as Mulholland Drive.
So if you have any thoughts/ideas about this movie plz help me out here. ;)

What is the blue box really? Why did they go to the theatre where they recieved the box? Who is the monster behind the diner? Where does the Cowboy fit in? The blonde girl see herself dead in the bed...i go crazy!! :eek2:

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I think you'll find little/no concrete answers to this film. It's all theory, idea's etc.

Spoiler tagged just to be safe:

On theory which I happen to agree with is that the first half of the film is a dream, Naomi Watt's character is this lovely person who's come to hollywood to make it big, but is denied that by some evil creepy looking little guy. There's lots of other parts to it, but it's been ages since I've seen it so I don't remember much. Suffice to say, the theory is that in the dream she's all nice and lovely, and has this wonderful affair with this other woman - when she awakes we see the truth that she's not actually such a nice person, and infact hires someone to kill her girlfriend/lover. I'm not making a whole lot of sense, but perhaps watch it again and be aware that the first half (ending just after the theatre bit) is a dream attempting to justify her actions. After that, you see what's really going on.

Urgh, what a shit attempt at an explanation - sorry :\. Google a bit/have a look at IMDB.com forums and you'll find more interesting and perhaps more clear insights :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
that's pretty much it. The point is that she wasn't a great actress so in her 'dream'/'death-bed-fantasy' people are prevented from being successful by a weird set of figures who control hollywood for their own purposes.She's excusing her own failures in the way people usually do.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I wanted to watch this with my gf, but she has the nasty habit of asking questions before, and throughout the movie we watch: "who is that person (and what is their relationship to all the other characters in this movie)?", "why do we keep seeing that book?", "why is that guy wearing a rabbit costume?". she also demands a synopsis of a film pre-viewing, and "can't" "just shut up and watch the friggin film" if she doesn't get one. it ticks me off (but I wub her).

Whipped

Part of the furniture
TdC said:
I wanted to watch this with my gf, but she has the nasty habit of asking questions before, and throughout the movie we watch: "who is that person (and what is their relationship to all the other characters in this movie)?", "why do we keep seeing that book?", "why is that guy wearing a rabbit costume?". she also demands a synopsis of a film pre-viewing, and "can't" "just shut up and watch the friggin film" if she doesn't get one. it ticks me off (but I wub her).
All women do this, don't they ;)

TdC

nah, there are a few out there who can do it heheh ;) I suppose it's a women thing though. goodness, I was going to type lots about this question, but it's much too early for me. I've only has one coffee yet :eek:

mank!

Part of the furniture
Wij said:
Lynch doesn't want us all to agree on a definitive explanation :)

Indeed. The beauty of this film lies within the fact there is no definitive explanation, there is no answer.

It's been ages since I watched it, but I remember coming to the conclusion that half of the film was a dream and the other half wasn't. That's about all I can remember

Limbonic

Loyal Freddie
mank said:
The beauty of this film lies within the fact there is no definitive explanation, there is no answer.

Wery true. :D Didn´t think of it that way. ;)

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
mank said:
The beauty of this film lies within the fact there is no definitive explanation, there is no answer.

I thought the beauty of it was it had some girl on girl action :wub:

TdC

everyone loves a lesbian aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ;)

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Ok, having just bought this film yesterday, and having just finished watching it, i have to say that this film really is a "boggle". Christ, and i thought Memento was a head fuck. :/

Maybe you can help me;
Q1: Is the bum behind the diner, "death"?
Q2: What's the story with Betty's Aunty and Uncle? They're more than a bit maniacal...
Q3: What's up with two little blokies who pop out of the bums bag with the blue box in it? They miniatures of the guys pulling the strings?

So much of this film just seems contradictory to me. One large contrived plot mess, with a "dream sequence" which seems utterly impossible (Drawing to conlusions in a dream? Ugh....)
Forgive me if i've missed something important, i've had two and a-half hours sleep in two days. :(

edit://
Instead of a "dream" sequence, perhaps Camilla is "imagining" Betty beside her. Remember the two phone scenes?

edit 2:// Is this film a stab at famous Hollywood murders? The Black Dahlia for one eh?

edit 3:// I really should read all of what was in Wij's link. :(

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Sir Frizz said:
edit 3:// I really should read all of what was in Wij's link. :(

Yes, do that.

And get some sleep :twak:

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
absolutely love mulholland drive, its up there in my eyes with blue velvet

lynch is a god :D

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
yeah, i loved it too - a real Lynch headfuck that made me think "what the FUCK" at the end. Still, after discussing it with my 'headfuck film loving' father, I managed to make some sense of it.

The brunette bird has a cracking set of tits, I must say that.

When i was in Hollywood, I went to Mulholland Drive.

G

stormrider

Fledgling Freddie
Just watched it, mainly because of this thread. Now my head hurts.
Think I need a few days and to watch it again.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
dunno if anyone read it but last week the guardian had a piece on MHD, donnie darko and memento, makeing some good pointers but totaly ruining it for peeps who didnt watch em first. MHD was ruined for my brother becuase of it.:/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom