Advice Mrs wants a mini

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
She found a 2010 mini cooper graphite with chili pack for 8k at a bmw mini dealer

Seems a bit expensive to me. We buy any car says they would buy it for 5k and another place says average private sale is arpund 5.5 -6k

I think 8k is a bit expensive. Any suggestions ?

If i am paying cash what do you think you could get it down to at a dealer baring in mind that they probably paid around 5k for it

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You'd get a lovely, classic (ie proper) Mini for 3 or 4k :D

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Cooper or Cooper S?, also is it a BMW dealer, i thought they didn't sell anything over 3 yrs old off their forecourt?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Its a cooper not an S and its from chobham mini

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I still think it should be around 6.5-7k.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
She found a 2010 mini cooper graphite with chili pack for 8k at a bmw mini dealer

Seems a bit expensive to me. We buy any car says they would buy it for 5k and another place says average private sale is arpund 5.5 -6k

I think 8k is a bit expensive. Any suggestions ?

If i am paying cash what do you think you could get it down to at a dealer baring in mind that they probably paid around 5k for it

Seems a bit steep for a six year old car.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Not sure if they off the same on Minis as they do on BMW, but if it's approved used that price should include 12 months comprehensive warranty which you can usually extend if you want. Would probably be about 7k from an Independent dealer, if you can get them down a bit it will probably be a good purchase.

Although mine has been perfect I'd be tempted to spend a little extra next time and get an Approved Used one, just for that bit of peace of mind.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Thanks guys. Was looking to use it sometimes as a fun Run around too. But she doesnt know that hehe.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
All used cars from dealers are subject to a years warranty. Don't pay extra for something you get anyway.

Bodhi

All used cars from dealers are subject to a years warranty. Don't pay extra for something you get anyway.

Not entirely accurate, most garages will only give the minimum legal requirement of 3 months, and they are normally from 3rd parties, so you have to pay for the fix and claim it back. The AUC warranty is comprehensive, take it into the garage, bring it back fixed.

As an aside they are brilliant little cars however. Bugger all room in the back, but fantastic to drive.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Nonsense. If you buy a used car for a reasonable amount of money then under law you can expect it to work without fault for a year, or a reasonable amount of time.

I went through all this crap when I bought the wife's car. The salesman tried the usual patter of selling a warranty. I told him its not worth the paper its printed on. Later car goes wrong. He tries the old, you didn't get a warranty. I tried the old, fix it take the car back and give me the money back, here is the law (can't be arsed to re-find it, under consumer protection) he backs down and pays the £1000 odd repairs.

paid for 1 year warranties are for mugs.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Not entirely accurate, most garages will only give the minimum legal requirement of 3 months, and they are normally from 3rd parties, so you have to pay for the fix and claim it back. The AUC warranty is comprehensive, take it into the garage, bring it back fixed.

As an aside they are brilliant little cars however. Bugger all room in the back, but fantastic to drive.
Which is why im getting the three door and have a passat for transporting people.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Nonsense. If you but a used car then under law you can expect it to work without fault for a year.

I went through all this crap when I bought the wife's car. The salesman tried the usual patter of selling a warranty. I told him its not worth the paper its printed on. Later car goes wrong. He tries the old, you didn't get a warranty. I tried the fix it take the car back and give me the money back, here is the law (can't be arsed to re-find it, under consumer protection) he backs down and pays the £1000 odd repairs.

paid for 1 year warranties are for mugs.
Yeah but i am willing to bet that it would take a lot more arguing from joe bloggs and son. To get a repair under it. Than bmw.

Bodhi

After 6 months
For faults that ariseafter six months the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time of delivery if you want to pursue a claim for repair or replacement

If you think you'll get it fixed after 6 months with your average trader without a major argument and probably getting the courts involved, you're living in Cloud Cuckoo land.

Whereas with the BMW AUC Warranty (assuming it's the same for a Mini) you take the car in and they fix it - usually no questions asked (unless you've modified or abused it).

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

I never knew that, but it does seem to have a lot of weasel words and holes in the language that would suggest it'd be a total pain in the ass to enforce.

Whereas with the BMW AUC Warranty (assuming it's the same for a Mini) you take the car in and they fix it - usually no questions asked (unless you've modified or abused it).

I don't agree here, BMW are no better than Arnold Clark in my experience, and that's their (notoriously bad) flagship Edinburgh dealer. I had so much teeth sucking with my Z4 and it's broken springs (edit: car was under manufacturer's warranty as it was 2 years old) which were a very well documented issue with E46 chassis based cars. What BMW are good at are reasonable good will gestures - never had a car dealer step up and offer it before other than BMW.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Found a nice little mini first only three years old. Cheaper than the cooper and only 11k miles.

Done and dusted. Nice little town run around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom