MPG Files

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Hi Doods :)

Is it possible to burn MPG's onto a DVD and then watch them on a DVD player? Similar to burining a MPG onto a normal CD and watching them on a DVD player?

xane

Fledgling Freddie
By "MPG" I assume you are talking about MPEG-4 ?

DVD is MPEG-2, most audio is MPEG-3 ("MP3"), MPEG-4 is highly compressed and needs either a fast CPU or a hardware decompressor to view realtime.

I can play MPEG-3 audio on my DVD Player, although I have not actually tried from a DVD-R rather than a CD-R.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Cheers Xane, dont know what MPG Fingy it is but will find out and let you know :)

Cyradix

FH is my second home
If the mpeg files are not to big it would be faster (and easier) to create a VideoCD. All DVD players should be able to play those....

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Head along to www.dvdrhelp.com Lots of tutorials on converting and burning all types of files to DVD.
Also, check out AVICodec. A handy little program that tells you the video and audio codec a file is encoded in and gives web links to download new codes you may not have.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
If it works in your dvd after burning it to cdr then it would work the same on dvdr. You can just fit more on.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Not nessecarily. You cannot create video CD's using DVDRs if I remember correctly.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for the help & links peeps :)

My Brother wants to store some of his homes movies (No not of his wife :p) of my nephew and his fmily etc. I suggested putting them on CD as they CD's I have are only 750Mb I think he will need a faor few. So I then suggested DVD. I dont have a DVD/r neother does he yet and I was wondering really can MPG's be put on DVD and watched on his DVD player?

Trem

Whipped said:
Not nessecarily. You cannot create video CD's using DVDRs if I remember correctly.

It would be an ISO just the same, only difference is you can fit maybe 3 vcd movies etc onto 1 dvd. All this is assuming your dvd player plays dvd-rs.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Trem said:
It would be an ISO just the same, only difference is you can fit maybe 3 vcd movies etc onto 1 dvd. All this is assuming your dvd player plays dvd-rs.
Unfotunatly not. DVDs have the file system structure of
Video_TS
Audio_TS

Whereas VideoCds have the structure of
CDI
EXT
MPEGAV
SEGMENT
VCD

I suppose that in theory you could create those folders manually using something like nero and then copy your vcd movie files into the MPEGAV directory, but you'd need the stuff in the other directories for your DVD player to recognise it as a VCD.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
May be talking out of my ass. Just found this http://www.svcd2dvd.com/default.aspx
Not sure if it will blow the VCD up to the size of the DVD, as has happened to me in the past when trying to squeeze 5 VCDs worth of movies onto one dvd. I'll let oyu know how it goes.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Darthshearer said:
Thanks for the help & links peeps :)

My Brother wants to store some of his homes movies (No not of his wife :p) of my nephew and his fmily etc. I suggested putting them on CD as they CD's I have are only 750Mb I think he will need a faor few. So I then suggested DVD. I dont have a DVD/r neother does he yet and I was wondering really can MPG's be put on DVD and watched on his DVD player?

Don't archive onto recordable dvd, its lifetime is as yet untested. Plain old videotape is a good backup.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Don't archive onto recordable dvd, its lifetime is as yet untested. Plain old videotape is a good backup.

I disagree, you can make multiple _perfect_ copies of DVDs much easier than copying video tape, and reduce the possibility that they'll all deteriorate.

Trem

From original format films are put into VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders for Nero Whipped, if its already a vcd on your hard drive then it will go onto a dvd just the same as a cd, like I said you will just fit more on.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Yep, figured that out finally last night. Creating the menus and such may be a pain, but I've started re-encoding all my Thundercats episodes to VCD quality so I can create a DVD boxset for myself.

Using VirtualDub, Tmpgenc and Tmpgenc DVD author it seems to be going quite well. Just going to take a while to copy them all from my Xbox to my PC, encode and burn. My test copy looks pretty watchable though.

Now to design the box, once I work out how many DVDs over 100 episodes will need :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom