Question Moving tips?

Malecheon

Fledgling Freddie
After months of hassle, I'm finally moving house in just over a week. Anyone got any tips, conventional or otherwise on the off chance that something has completely slipped my notice ?

I can offer one in return, if you're planning on using Abbey as your mortgage lender, use a financial advisor or broker for the application rather than doing it yourself. I've spent hours on the phone to their useless customer services, and wouldn't wish the same amount of stress on anyone.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Put your shit in a box, put the box in the new place and take the shit out.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
get some one else to do it, and monitor the site remotely from a chippy or pub.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If we're talking a full house move, then quite seriously—pay a professional to do it.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
tris is bang on. Uses boxes. Different sized boxes (so you can pack them in all sorts of places :)), but boxes. It makes life much easier.

Also, fire is an excellent cleaning agent.

TdC

SheepCow is correct. In fact, if you apply fire before you move, you're saving yourself 50% of the job right there! Everybody wins!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I just packed my sh*t in packs(back etc) and that's about it.

No need to fancy about, just move the stuff and remember to take everything.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
get rid of your useless shit before you move. no point moving it then getting rid of.

mark the boxes so you know where to put them in your new house.

make sure insurance covers for any damage that may occur.

claim for new telly after "breakage" when moving

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
On a slightly less arson-y note; don't use one of those "I am moving" type websites that are supposed to handle all your utility address changes for you. They don't work, there's no comeback when they don't work, and you'll end up picking up the pieces for the next few months.

Other than that; as already said, use a professional if you can. If you can't, go to Big Yellow, get a moving pack of different sized boxes, pack your boxes by room if possible, and mark them properly. Make sure you do all your meter readings on the day you leave, and most importantly if you're with BT or VM, make sure everything is sorted with them before you leave - they will fuck it up otherwise, so ideally ask for a written confirmation (email will do) of your final payment. They'll probably still fuck it up, but at least you'll have an audit trail.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Don't get me started on the Abbey...they are the most useless, piece of crap bank that has ever existed! Their customer service is the worst you will ever experience...

They get so many things wrong I'm amazed they still exit really...

As for tips:

Get the Post Office to redirect all your mail to give you time to let everyone know your address has changed...

If you are not moving too far away try and get BT to move your old phone number to the new house as well...

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I'm moving this weekend. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

Chilly

Balls of steel
im moving too! moving out on the 26th and moving in on the 1st. what could possibly go wrong?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Never pay anyone to move your stuff for you. Unless of course, you have no mates.

TdC

I have enough mates to move my shizzle, but damn man you bet your scrawny tush that I am paying to have my washing machine moved. No way am I subjecting myself or my friends to the horror of getting it down my stairs when a pro can do it in minutes.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Whoever's doing it, keep out essential things i.e.in your car or someone else's. The stuff you absolutely can't live without e.g. your kettle or Medicines, I don't know what but you sure won't be able to find anything for weeks.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Never pay anyone to move your stuff for you. Unless of course, you have no mates.

The next time I move I'm definitely paying someone to do it!

I've got loads of really heavy stuff like fridges / sofas / washing machines / dishwasher / kitchen table / dining room table / coffee table / beds / desk / sideboards etc...

I'm definitely not carrying that lot ever again!

Malecheon

Fledgling Freddie
I'm definitely paying a professional for the move, organised that well in advance, although we're doing all the packing ourselves. Off to the post office today to get our mail re-directed as well.

Thanks for the tips folks :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Throwing money away at people that don't care if your stuff breaks or not is never a good idea.

None of the things you have listed dys take any more than two, at the very most, three people. And if you've moved before, you'll know how to do it better next time. Can't understand why people would spunk money away like that. Oh well, each to their own I guess.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Throwing money away at people that don't care if your stuff breaks or not is never a good idea.

None of the things you have listed dys take any more than two, at the very most, three people. And if you've moved before, you'll know how to do it better next time. Can't understand why people would spunk money away like that. Oh well, each to their own I guess.

Except they're insured, your mates are not. And if your mate breaks something precious, you're going to be more pissed off with no comeback and bad feeling (having my brother drop my two grand telly I know wherof I speak). They'll also pack stuff like sofas and furniture better than you ever will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom