Help Moving house

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
i know some of you have experience in such things.

I have only ever bought one house twenty years ago. So no experience selling and buying. Or with chains and stuff cause my current place had no chain on it.

Looking to move down cornwall, devon way get a nicer house in a nicer area and with the equity in the current place hopefully be mortgage free

Any places that are good for help / info. Do i have to sell my current place in principle before putting an offer into the new place etc etc.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Well i know one thing for sure, i'm not travelling to Devon to put new windows in for you

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Do i have to sell my current place in principle before putting an offer into the new place etc etc.
Get yourself a mortgage agreed in principle from a mortgage provider. You may need to sell, or may not - they'll let you know, but given what you've said, probably. A broker can help if you need one to shop about for you.

Find the house you want. Take the time to look at a *lot* of houses in your price range.

Find yourself a conveyancing solicitor. Maybe one local to you. They should spell out everything you need to do from then, timescales etc. etc.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
But i hopefully wont need a mortgage ;). So can skip that part i guess

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yeah but would i be taken seriously if my house was on the market and not sold yet but i made an offer on another house. Waiting to sell mine. As it were

Or do i actually need an offer before i do the offering. Like. I expect to sell and buy same day like when things complete.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not been in a chain situation but a seller may accept your offer and wait or take a cash buyer's offer over you.

Talk to a conveyancing solicitor and estate agent m8.

Vae

Resident Freddy
We made an offer on a house before putting ours on the market. It will depend on relative demand and each persons circumstance though. The chain is only complete once there is a buyer and seller at each point in the chain. Sometimes legal searches etc aren't started until that point. You will be in a stronger position if you have already got an offer on your house before making an offer on another house.
However given that you are moving to a completely new area I would definitely do your investigations and research first to establish what your criteria are. You might not get whatever you look at to begin with but at least you can establish those criteria. If you are picky about criteria (like we were) then finding a suitable location will be the more time consuming part than possibly finding a buyer for your house (which tends to be a function of price).

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
We put ours on the market, got a mortgage offer and went to look. Sold our house very quickly so no chain issue. Problem with the chain is that the seller is not held to your offer, if it takes to long they can just go to the next one and complete.

I would sell and look around whilst your doing it. We purchased a house in Falmouth which for Cornwall is great, busy all year round. Some places, even the bigger Cornish towns can be dead out of season. Found that with Penzance.

FYI we used Nalders LLP for solicitors (local office in Falmouth but have others) and they were great, not expensive either. Estate agent wise we searched on Zoopla/Rightmove and other internet ones and eventually ended up with Laskowski & Co who were actually also great, helped a lot with keys etc. I used hate estate agent types but these guys were very professional.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Don't even look until you have an offer on yours.
Rubbish. Start looking now, hard.

And not just on rightmove - go there, see the places you're interested in, book appointments to see the properties you're interested in. Get a feel for the areas, visit the pubs, try the food, walk to the beaches.

Your house could take an age to sell (unlikely in this day and age tho) or go very quickly - at which time you're in a position to pounce, rather than having to wait weeks and weeks whilst you decide what to buy, at which point your buyer may fuck off somewhere else...

sayward

Resident Freddy
Rubbish. Start looking now, hard.

And not just on rightmove - go there, see the places you're interested in, book appointments to see the properties you're interested in. Get a feel for the areas, visit the pubs, try the food, walk to the beaches.

Your house could take an age to sell (unlikely in this day and age tho) or go very quickly - at which time you're in a position to pounce, rather than having to wait weeks and weeks whilst you decide what to buy, at which point your buyer may fuck off somewhere else...
Yes I agree with all that but it's no good falling for somewhere and then not being able to proceed at speed...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
But "falling for somewhere" isn't going to happen on your first excursion looking at houses (I mean it might happen but the chances aren't very high) so it's good to have a couple of properties waiting in the wings for when an offer comes through on yours.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Im scanning rightmove and zoopla a lot to get an idea of whats around. Trying to keep the mrs on the grpund when she shows me houses lol

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I really liked the Rightmove site where you could create map zones and only view properties within that area. After you go to the area you can track only areas within towns you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom