Most Visually Stunning Film

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
I've thought this before but upon re-watching last night it really affirmed it. In terms of visuals alone, the most beautiful-looking film I've ever seen is Titan AE.

I love animation generally but it's just something else. It's the most amazingly colourful film I've ever seen and certain scenes such as the water planet with the hydrogen trees, and the ice rings at the end (and their homage to Enter The Dragon's mirrors) are just incredible. Favourite moment (although it's cheesy) has to be the ship bursting through the nebula with the "wake angels" spinning around the front. It's just gorgeous.

Not many seem to have seen it but it's well worth checking out.

Gombur Glodson

Fledgling Freddie
I think mine is Sleepy Hollow, the setting was just wow.

And then LotR but that has become so cliché :p

Lam

Fledgling Freddie
In terms of visuals I would have to say the Final Fantasy movie.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Bladerunner is difficult to fault in this respect.

Gombur Glodson

Fledgling Freddie
Lam said:
In terms of visuals I would have to say the Final Fantasy movie.

Just a shame the story was crap :p

In terms of Computeranimated movies I'm gonna have to say Shrek, I just love that one ;)

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
Heh, just read somewhere that Fox Animation Studios was shut down as a direct result of Titan AE being a flop. That sucks.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Agree with both Lam and Gombur - the FF movie and Shrek are both very impressive in terms of visuals, not least because they both have a very distinctive style (Shrek basically coming across as a cartoon that just happens to be CG, and FF generating a very impressive futuristic style).

The Toy Story films also have impressive CG, but don't pull it off with quite as much style as Shrek.

Shaeffer

Dear Little Mite
i hate to say it, but in terms of style and visuals, Finding Nemo actually wins it for me. Very colourful

Gombur Glodson

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm had forgotten all about FN, but yeah it was also quite nicely done.

Also Hero was very nice visually.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Cant wait for Shrek 2!
Theres a trailer out - click

The water in Finding Nemo was excellent I thought.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Either Final Fantasy or Matrix Revolutions.

Shaeffer

Dear Little Mite
'The position of annoying talking animal has already been taken'

classic

Embattle

FH is my second home
Jonny_Darko said:
Heh, just read somewhere that Fox Animation Studios was shut down as a direct result of Titan AE being a flop. That sucks.

I enjoyed Titan AE too :(

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Hero is absolutely stunning. I'm not sure its THE most gorgeous film ever but certainly is high up there.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
I tend to like the gothic themed movies, Tim Burtons have a tendancy look great (and odd), Nightmare before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands are two of his best in that regard I think.

Also, Dark City has a lovely image of a 50's noir town stuck in permanent night, long shadows and all that.

Moulin Rouge has a Lovely Garish look, the Green fairy scene still makes me laugh :p

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
Another vote for 'Finding Nemo'.

The DVD, when played in progressive mode, is quite stunning. Animations do tend to look better anyway, but this is a class act.

For a non animated film I'd have to go for any one of Ridley Scott's releases (Blade Runner, Alien, Black Rain, etc). His use of lighting compliments his films really well (and he doesn't just do 'dark and menacing' either :)).

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
FuzzyLogic said:
I tend to like the gothic themed movies, Tim Burtons have a tendancy look great (and odd), Nightmare before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands are two of his best in that regard I think.

He's doing Willy Wonka with Johnny Depp. That will be amazing.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm quite disappointed that most people equate 'visually stunning' with 'special effects' or 'cgi'. You're all forgetting films like Apocalypse Now, or The Godfather, the latter of which is lit so wonderfully. Legends of the Fall is a stunning film to view, as is Dances with Wolves.

I'd rate films like Shrek and Toy Story as being nothing more than technically impressive, besides being very good films generally.

I agree with the comments re. Tim Burton, Sleepy Hollow was a wonderful film to behold.

Gombur Glodson

Fledgling Freddie
Agree with Tom on Apocalypse Now a masterpiece really right from the start with the sound of the choppers and then The End by doors.
One of the few films I can only see in theatres.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
What Dreams May Come. Not the best film in the world, but the paint effects in Heaven are supurb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom